[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - Panama report

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Panama report
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:30 am 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:30 pm 

The most glaring feature of the IHART report on Panama is the refusal to name the missionaries who were confirmed by the investigation to have abused children.

By its very definition, an investigation report confirming child abuse should acknowledge that there was a victim, there was abuse, and there was a perpetrator of that abuse.

But note the title of this report: IHART Panama Historical Investigation Summary Report.

Historical investigation? Does that mean IHART was investigating Panama's history? Or that this investigation will go down in history?

The word missing here is ABUSE. CHILD ABUSE.

The title of GRACE's investigation report is "Amended Final Report For the Investigatory Review of Child Abuse at New Tribes Fanda Missionary School".

Just in case anyone is wondering how this report compares with that one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:57 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:13 pm 

I posted the link to the Panama report on my own Facebook page, and waited to see what the response would be.

Some of my friends who apparently skimmed through the report quickly, had positive comments.

To me, this shows that Theresa Sidebotham did her job well. She is paid by NTM to protect their organization and its reputation and financial income. She is obviously a smart woman and a brilliant strategist. NTM should be very pleased with her work.

At first glance, the report is attractive, with colored pictures, clearly laid out sections, and explanations that seem logical and understandable.

Theresa does speak of the horrendous physical abuse that IHART confirmed was indeed inflicted on the children at NTM's MK school in Panama. But she surrounds it with so many rationalizations that the reader is distracted from the muck by the flowering trees surrounding it.

And I think that was the intent. Obviously a great deal of time went into crafting this piece of work called a Summary Report. (Unlike the previous IHART report on a different school, produced by a different coordinator .... that product was abysmal in every way.)

My guess is that when active mission members received the link to the report (as far as I can determine, not even the link was sent to retired members -- who account for a large percentage of NTM's numbers, and naturally would be the contemporaries of the missionaries who beat and abused children), any of them who actually took the time to click on the link, skimmed through the pages quickly, and saw just what NTM wants them to see: Yes, some bad stuff happened to a few kids at the school, but nothing out of the ordinary for that period of time ... and no one in leadership can or should be held responsible, and anybody who was really, really bad has been dismissed from the mission or had their personnel record amended, but we aren't going to tell you who those really, really bad people are, because you don't need to know.

And then they X'ed out of the report document and will never look at it again.

Casual readers will not even notice some of the features of the report that are so glaring to Panama MKs. Like the absence of names. Not a single abuser is named. Casual readers don't think that is significant.

But casual readers don't continue to have nightmares about the beatings they received that were so severe they could not even sit down, or had to have their pants soaked off them because of the dried blood on their bottoms.

Casual readers don't remember how it felt to have a rag stuffed in their mouth to muffle their screams as they were "spanked" with huge paddles, asking themselves if they would be able to catch their terrified breaths, or if they would suffocate to death there in that room, far, far away from their parents.

These MKs know the names. They know who whipped them, humiliated them, berated them, and made their childhoods a living hell. They know the names, and they told those names to the IHART interviewers. The interviewers who the MKs were led to believe were "independent" investigators, when all along they were but a part of a "process" created by the mission.

A "process" which includes keeping the mission safe from scrutiny by refusing to publish the names of child abusers, under the excuse that this is an "employment investigation". Employment investigation? What happened to independent investigation? And since when is a mission member an employee of New Tribes Mission? I was a member of this same mission at the time the abuse in Panama was taking place. My husband and I filed our taxes as "self employed". We were never employees of the mission.

I am both impressed and depressed by the response of the general public to this Summary Report. Impressed at the skill that went into producing the document. Depressed by the fact that so many people want so badly to believe that the mission they have had confidence in for so long has done everything with godliness and integrity. They are skimming but not thinking. They are not asking themselves the hard questions. They are not comparing this report (which is not even called an abuse investigation report) with reports produced by other investigations, such as the report GRACE wrote on abuse in NTM's school in Fanda, Senegal.

Theresa has rewritten the narrative according to her own crafty crafting. But her report is what many want to believe.

And so they do.

I weep for the MKs of Panama. I weep for what they waited for and did not receive.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:08 pm 

It has been a loooong time since I have been here and I have only read through the report once, but here are some initial thoughts I had/have....

On the outside the report sounds like a nice tidy investigation was done and "we" have taken care of those who were abusers and now everything is okay...

If you know anything at all about anything that went on, or even ask a few questions you will know something isn't quite right about this report.

I was one of the "fortunate" ones and only suffered emotional, mental and spiritual abuse. I was not beat with a fishing rod by Ralph or any of his cronies. But he mocked and belittled me. My personal report made me sound like a complaining five year old.

The cast he made for the student with a broken foot was no mistake or lack of training ----
He was mocking and making fun of a young man. How humiliating...and there was no apology. This one incident in this report made me realize that NTM can and will make up excuses to save their backsides. This report is a joke- how do you take them seriously when they brush of abuse as a mistake or lack of training. In people's heart of hearts they would know that this is not right. To beat children until they are bruised or bloodied is not something we can pass off as an acceptable punishment of the times.

As far as what leadership knew.....this is a hard one. Do people get old and forget what they knew? Perhaps. But I also know of at least one person who went head to head with Ralph and when they approached the leadership they were blown off because 'that is just the way he is'...

I know I need to go back and read the report again and make notes...maybe do some communicating of dissatisfaction with NTM- just to let them know that it isn't the tidy little job they thought it is .

These are just some initial thoughts...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:00 pm 

Thank you all.
How many times did we hear on the field---It's all been taken care of.
UGH!
We should have been better detectives.
Little did we know we should have been. :( :x

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:28 am 

28 pages of introduction and excuses
8 pages of "findings", which mostly could not be corroborated
10 pages of reassurance that NTM has already taken care of everything and have in fact gone above and beyond any reasonable expectations.

Nothing here, folks! Move on along. :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:38 am 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:12 am 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:58 am 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next