[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - GRACE recommendations

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:54 pm 

No no no!! Seriously, NTM cannot investigate other abuses with any integrity. Following the recommendations by GRACE did not some how magically afford them the skills and lack of bais/self-protective instinct to adequately do what's right regarding the other abuses on other fields.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:59 am 
Site Admin

NTM/GRACE Joint Statement: October 15, 2010

The NTM USA Executive Board and GRACE are committed to further discussions regarding the precise manner and procedure in which other NTM boarding school abuse claims will be investigated and addressed. A finalized process will be announced no later than November 1, 2010.

Weekly Update:

The NTM-USA Executive Board wishes to express again that we are committed to address any abuse allegation that is brought to our attention. NTM does not plan to do in-house investigations and we desire that the investigations be done in a timely manner. A meeting between the NTM USA Executive Board and GRACE is scheduled for October 23.

Last week, the two primary people accused of child abuse in the report on Fanda school personally received hand-delivered letters from NTM Executive Board members. The NTM leaders also hand-delivered letters to and spoke with local law enforcement officials where the men now live.

A letter detailing what took place was also delivered to the pastor of the church attended by one former NTM member. The other former member does not attend church.

GRACE is working to conclude the remaining personnel recommendations. NTM will finalize their decisions as soon as possible upon receiving final information from GRACE.

NTM continues to have conversations with various parties including GRACE regarding mediation and arbitration. A specific process will be announced and implemented no later than Friday, October 22.

New Tribes Mission will continue to work diligently to address the recommendations in GRACE’s report on child abuse that took place at Fanda, and to consider further steps that can and should be taken both to demonstrate our repentance and to better safeguard children in the future.

Larry M. Brown
Chairman/CEO
NTM USA
New Tribes Mission
Office: 407.547.2442

Declare his glory among the nations, His marvelous works among all the peoples. 1 Ch 16:24

www.ntm.org | 1000 E. First St. | Sanford, FL 32771

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:53 pm 

Thank you for posting this, Bonnie!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:08 am 

the mire gets thicker.... as you ponder the number of people who are coming forward with stories of abuse you see how prevalent abuse really was.

here's a question. nobody on the EB is new to NTM. in fact, most of these guys have spent their lives in NTM. a huge percentage of NTMers over age 40 have been in leadership and been part of covering up abuse in one way or another.

i can look at the GRACE report again, but i'd like the "take" of other MKs. (And no, this is NOT my story. But it has to be a true one just based on probability.)

Suppose person X was on the school board 30 years ago. there were abuse allegations. Suppose they investigated and found out the allegations were true. children were being abused in this school. So, they and their cronies decide it's "best for the work" to not talk about it. they dismiss the abuser from NTM and move on.

Now, 30 years later they are faced with these issues. They see their own wrongdoing. they are truly repentant.

But they have no idea what to do. they are passionate about so many things, and coming forward and admitting their part in these horrors means they cannot continue doing anything they're passionate about. they are conflicted.

...now this is the part that i don't think has happened yet. suppose this person wrote everyone who was on the field, parents and children, and admitted that they did wrong. suppose they told all they knew.

then what do we, the MKs, do? does this person really deserve the same treatment/punishment that former leadership who still believes they did the right thing deserves? (and yeah, none of us are getting what we deserve. i realize that.)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:51 am 

That is a very interesting question. I guess my reply is, if that person were TRULY repentant, they would NOT have waited until their was an outcry of these allegations on a public forum. If someone repents only when they are caught, is that true repentance? No, it is not. Everyone can say that they are sorry when they get caught. It's the person that repents while under NO pressure to do so that is sincere.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:12 am 

Mahalko,

On the other hand, David, confronted by Nathan repented after the fact and "came clean". I think true repentance can come at any time but "fruit fitting for repentance" has to accompany the repentance. Another MK described action befitting repentance.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:59 am 

True repentance could very well come years later. I do believe the Holy Spirit keeps working on hardened hearts to enlighten of sin.

However- I do not believe that repentance precludes judgment or punishment for crimes that are clearly against the law (such as covering up or inflicting child abuse).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:27 am 

MrsM,

Couldn't agree more with you. Seems like I heard this line somewhere: "Show me the money". In other words, I am from the show me state and need you to show me what you (NTM) say matches what I am seeing happen. So far we need a magnifying glass to see it...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:42 am 

My concern with trying to judge whether someone is truly repentant or not, is that it sucks you all back into the mind games that were already played with you as a child. Do you know what I mean? Manipulation, self-doubt, fear of doing something "wrong", having responsbility that isn't really yours on your shoulders ("Is he repentant or isn't he? Does he deserve the same punishment as the rest or doesn't he?).

Plus, in my humble opinion, this is what got NTM in big trouble (one of the things, anyway) in the first place- playing judge and jury and extending "grace" in situations that don't call for grace, but rather, call for society's laws and judgments to be put in place.

I don't want to minimize the difficulty of these things. It IS difficult to feel someone is truly repentant and sorrowful for what they've dong wrong and then have to extend punishment anyway. But if we look at it this way, maybe it will help: There are a lot of people who have committed horrendous crimes that are now in prison. They are very sorrowful, truly repentant... but they still are required by law to be punished.

I would say, take the burden off your shoulders and allow the (hopefully by GRACE) investigations to bring forth the facts and act accordingly. *You* all are only responsible to report what happened to you or what you saw, nothing else.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:08 pm 

I'm sorry, Another MK, I just reread your post and realized you said you wanted other MKs take on your question. I apologize for stepping in!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next