[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - Abuse at NTM PNG boarding schools

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:21 am 

Not to downplay what happened at Via, but if there´s a list and order for investigation of NTM boarding schools, sounds like the PNG guys should be next, as much as I think there ought to be a way to do a thorough investigation of all at the same time - do they have the people for that? I am so, so sorry and that´s such a weak, weak word - I am grief filled.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:21 am 

I was under the impresion that Tambo would be next, but I am not sure. It seems like they are going to have to get more teams other than GRACE to investigate all of these schools so that you are not all waiting years for your turn. If they do go with other outside help I would make sure that GRACE is the one who recommends them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:35 pm 

Broken,
Words cannot being to say how horrible it must have been to go through what you did. I'm so sorry for what you and your friends suffered. Although nothing can make up for destroying a childhood, I pray that justice will be done to these people who hurt you and others.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:45 pm 

Thank you for your kind words.

I know that one of these "people" is happily retired at NTM Homes and another is a Pastor. That bothers me. Another has already been prosecuted. But there were SO many more than those 3 that were the abusers. I don't like to revisit this ..I've spent years trying to just put it behind me and forgive, but maybe it is time to heal if such a thing is possible. Some of these people have children who are my friends..that makes me want to keep the "secrets" so that I don't hurt my friends. I do know that there is NO way I'd trust a NTM representative to suggest a counselor to me and I've heard they're being sent out to talk to some of the PNG MK's...kinda feels too much like Big Brother knocking at your door. I can't trust that...in fact the fear to think of it happening is crippling.

Apologies if this comes across as disconnected. Just some random thoughts of a survivor that has yet to deal and heal. :-( Maybe you understand if you've been there too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:17 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:30 pm 

Anybody know what happened to John McLaren? Wasn't he hustled out of the country after molesting boys? How about Jim Given? That's a start.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:02 pm 

Here are excerpts from emails I received from a friend ..names obscured for obvious reasons. This is just more of the same "Reign of Terror" that NTM had at it's boarding schools even over the next 10+ years while I was there (I could list the names of many more abusers than are mentioned here) and from the sounds of it even into the 90's. I asked MMMM (someone else) about this as he had been one of the students there at that time. He remembers everything that is said here and he experienced sexual, physical, emotional and spiritual abuse himself during his years at boarding school as well. There were terrible, horrible people in NTM PNG. We were molested and beaten or terrorized by witnessing it happen on a regular basis. It's not okay. Here is one person's testimony. I have not yet spoken with many of my counterparts as I am only just now speaking of this myself! Reading this makes me weep! And become so very angry!

______
"I often think that the time in Oliguti when the school was new under Louie Willand was very fear based. It affected and distrorted the way we saw life as children. I think MMMM was there when we saw XXXX and later XXXXXX hit over 120 times ea( on separate days). I was only 8 and 9 and feel that we all had to grow up too early. Especially now I see my children are young.
It develops a hardness into some people and fear into others. We hide these things away where they come out at the wrong time with the people closest too us.
Sorry to be deep but I feel very strongly about these things. Pray that you can sort things out and if not let things go from the past. I have my own things which I am trying to sort out. Regards,

XXXX said, " NNNN counted, 39, 41,40 in that order."
I met up with NNNN 2 years before he died. He confirmed this. I told XXXX It was like it was yesterday. I went back to Oliguti once and could not believe there were about 12 of us children with Althea, Kevin and Lou in that little room which was only half of the little building.
You could have reached out and touched him.

OOOO must have written to XXXX because I rang him some time later. We spoke for an hour when I returned home.
XXXX said, " I received a letter from the Mission. THey apologised to me for what was done when I was at school and asked if I would seek compensation they would make restitution financially.
(OOOO had told me the mission had been terrified about huge claims but he had insisted and they were not in a position to refuse as there were so many things they had to fix up.)
XXXX said, "I don't know why they wrote to me. "
I said that I had put his name forward as well as some others.
He then asked me. " How many times do you think they hit me?"
I said, " 120 times".

" How can you remember that "
I Said, " I remember Althea believed in 40 lashes. You cried out once after about 16 or so times. She told you to shut up. I did not count but from the time it went on i guessed Althea 40 Kevin Turner 40 and Loue 40."

This was 33 years after it happened.
The stange thing is that XXXX seems to be less affected than those of us who watched.
Then XXXX said, ' You know I got another 40 when I got home to the dorm as Kevin Turner was the dorm parent and the rule was you got another spanking when you got home. "
XXXX continued, " I do not want to make money out of them although I would never send my children to a church school."

For me I had to forgive every one in my heart so that I could be free of all of this. Just would like to be a help to any who are stuck in the middle of nowhere. If you know what I mean.
In Christ your friend,

Some Christian forget that being a Christian is hearing the Word and doing the Word. " The letter of the Law( Word ) killeth and the Spirit of the Law gives life."
It is Easter Sunday today. The fulliment of everything in Christ's life in the Resurrection.

Regards,

Loue Willand seems to have been very careful with my father who really knew the scripture well.
One day Dad said to Loue. " There is something hidden sin in your life that you should to be repeatedly punishing the children like this. You must put whatever it is aside and change otherwise it will come out in the open." I guess you know what happened with the homosexuality etc.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:37 pm 

I never knew of these abuse cases in Oliguti. They happened before my time in the PNG dorms. Horrible. I can't imagine what the child went through, and what the rest of you who witnessed it went through. I do know of the McLaren and Given cases and would also like to know what happened to them. Were either of them ever prosecuted? Was this Willard man ever prosecuted?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:45 pm 

120 Lashes ... I've spoken to witnesses that said both boys were just a bloody mess. :-(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:18 pm 

For the Survivors of the "Reign of Terror" - it's horrible what you went through. Broken, you are correct that IT ISN'T OK. Thank you for speaking up. For those who were abused and those who witnessed the abuse - your pain is great and created many scars. I pray that you will heal. I was in the PNG dorms later on. I remember hearing of some of the cases you spoke of, but not all of them. I don't remember suffering abuse like this, and I grieve for you who did. I was of course in the dorm at a young age, which was painful enough. I do remember having to get platefuls of liver down, which was a meal specially served up for us in case we didn't take enough of it ourselves (we usually served ourselves) and sitting at the table for hours trying to eat it. And walking in the door at lunch time, looking at the dorm dad to see what his mood was like, and knowing by that mood what we would get for lunch that day (whether we would like it or hate it). It's nothing like the trauma you have written about. I'm sorry. Just want you to know I support you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next