[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - What if reporting abuse hurts our friends?

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:58 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:13 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:54 am 

I worried about the family for two decades and then on March 7th 2014, I found another girl he abused (much worse), and now ... I choose the starfish : http://www.justpurelovely.com/2014/04/i ... rfish.html

This morning, someone non-NTM but a child abuse survivor, texted me: "I am sure this is silly. I know it is early, but I just read your blog post and I decided I should have done this days ago. In my reading, I came across psalm 109, and God put you on my heart. I was going to text it to you, but I talked myself out of it. I thought about you and how if the man after God's own heart could feel so passionately about taking his enemies down, it would be okay if we did too. It would be okay if this bad man's family suffered. You didn't start this and only God can finish it. I know you didn't try to hurt them, but there is a good chance that they knew exactly what he was and kept silent just like my family did. Can you imagine how different my life would be if my grandmother faced what her husband was rather than hid it? Anyways, God clearly told me to share and I let feeling silly stop me, and I am sorry for that. I love you. You have been in my prayers every day."

Share your story. Choose the starfish.

- Lori

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:49 am 

Have we no compassion for the innocent family members, when a person they love is exposed as being a vile child abuser?

We most certainly do!

Please, let there be no doubt about that. My heart is broken for the spouses, children and grandchildren, when deep dark family secrets come to light. The anguish they feel must be almost unbearable.

This is the consequence of sin. We were taught in Bible School and all through our sojourn in NTM that sin will have far-reaching results, and I believe that was meant to be a deterrent to those who were feeling the temptation to sin.

Not everyone applied those sermons effectively. Some people finished their training and went out to the field without ever getting control over the sins deeply hidden: their angry temper, their lust, their addictions.

Sin festered and grew and became their master. And still they did not repent. They got away with hiding for years or even decades, what God knew about all along.

Some NTM missionaries died with their secrets locked deep inside them. But those secrets were never theirs alone. Their victims knew what they had done. The high school girls they raped, the children they molested, the students they beat, the dorm kids who heard the screams behind closed doors. Sometimes whole generations pass before a terrorized child finds their voice. But when they are ready, they will tell. They will tell the secrets.

And when the secrets come out, people who love the abuser are shocked. Some cling to denial, swearing they KNOW their father or grandfather could not possibly be capable of such crimes. Maybe after the shock wears off, there will be at least a small amount of acceptance down deep in their heart, where they know there might actually be some truth to what is now being told. Often even when they instinctively know, they will not speak of it. It is far, far too painful to admit a person you love is actually a very, very bad person.

I have known only a few family members of abusers who are able to accept, process, and speak about the truth. People we love have many sides, as do we all. I can have good intentions of losing weight one day, and be gulping down a large milkshake the next. A daddy can be reading his daughter a bedtime story and giving her a loving kiss on the forehead, and hours later he can be in some other little girl's room creating a nightmare that child will suffer from for the rest of her life.

To those who are reeling from the pain of secrets exposed, and now feel marked , scrutinized and even ostracized, may we continue to show compassion. They did nothing to deserve this pain. I pray that they will be able to understand that this pain is not caused by abuse survivors who have found their voice, nor by mission leaders who are scrambling to handle a very disturbing crisis, nor by friends, supporters and co-workers who have withdrawn into awkward silence.

This pain is caused by the person who committed heinous sins and then covered them up. Instead of repenting, confessing, and submitting himself to appropriate consequences at the time, he put on a mask and lived a lie, and got away with it, for many years.

But he is the cause of the pain. The sinner, not the one sinned against. Let us all keep that in mind. If we can.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:37 am 

What if reporting abuse hurts our friends?

WHAT FRIENDS?

Some of us "foreign" MKs had no friends and neither did our parents. That was how the system worked, we existed on the mission field to work and work only.
Our parents were treated as second class missionaries and American MKs learned from their parents to do the same thing to their fellow MKs! This was how PNG was run, there was no equality. We were told by our parents to keep our mouths shut and just accept the discrimination, because complaining would only make it worse.
Every day was spent enduring the ridicule, being beaten by other MKs and being denied access to activities and items that others were offered.
And then our parents one by one were thrown out of PNG. Not because they abused kids, but because they were different and dared to stand up for the locals. Our houses were confiscated and so were our belongings.
This never happened to American missionaries.

So many of us just wandered off and resentment festered for what had happened to us and our parents. Now we have all been informed about what happened to other MKs in PNG and some of us have put aside our resentments and tried to help sort out the mess in our own unique ways.

On one hand this is not our fight, but on the other hand it is a conscience issue and that is why some of us stay and keep plugging away.
There are days when I question my own sanity for being on this site, there are days when I feel it is just going in circles. But then I think that I have a unique advantage, I have nothing to loose, because WHAT FRIENDS?

Sometimes it is a very lonely existence being an NTM MK at the bottom of the globe. No family, hardly any old NTM friends, no reunions to go to, no one to reminisce with about the good old days. But then sometimes being alone is like a fresh start, because I can pick my friends. Not based on any old loyalties, but based on what we have in common.

And then I feel much better, because although my friends might be small in quantity, the quality makes up for it. And the knowledge that my "true" friends are here day after day, posting, caring, sharing a laugh, wiping a tear because they want to make sure this never happens again for children no matter where they come from, is a reason enough to carry on. And they care not where this old MK comes from or that he writes some of the strangest posts they have ever read, for they see diversity for what it is, a freedom to be celebrated.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:42 am 

It's not Sunday anywhere yet, but "AMEN" to that, Bemused!!

Yes, you DO have friends here! And you have made, and continue to make, and very significant difference!

Thank you!

:)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:49 am 

OK, Bemused, lets talk about Possum Bourne. See, we're closer related than you think! :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:26 am 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:20 pm 

Lovely! :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:33 pm 

Yes, Lovely! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next