MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: from a student at PNG
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:19 pm 
Papua New Guinea. The mission’s goal of reaching the lost clearly preceded, even nullified, family values. The atmosphere of Numonohi was one of “Children need to be good as to not disturb the important work of saving the natives”. The children carried the relentless weight of knowing that if we disturbed our parents’ work the natives would not get their Bible translated, die in sin, go to hell, and it would be our fault.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:28 pm 

The 70s. Papua New Guinea, NTM. My mother was wrongly led to believe that giving her own children away was the better way to go. She had been taught throughout NTM training that boarding schools were a wonderful place; “children loved it”. Because of this groupthink, my mother blindly trusted the staff at Oliguti and Numonohi. She allowed dorm parents to come and go into our lives without knowing them or their personal ideals and philosophies of child raising. She wrongly believed everything was wonderful and happy in the dorm. The dorm parents never told her otherwise.
I believe her parental responsibilities and rights were stripped from her in the name of God. She blatantly trusted the staff to do right and never questioned them. The mission’s actions, on this account alone, are despicable. A parent should have first say regarding his or her own children. My mother was never made aware of any of the troubles my brother and I went through. Supposedly the silence was meant to free her from worry and concern so she could faithfully do her important ‘God work’. She was entirely unaware of our difficulties. I struggled with unending homesickness, while my brother had his own issues. The mission policy of removing parental responsibilities and rights from them is repugnant.
A great chasm had been placed between my mother and me because of the way Numonohi distanced us emotionally. It was their plan. They succeeded. They purposefully kept me from telling my mother anything about how hurt and lonely I felt or from telling her how life really was in the dorm.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:15 pm 

Highlander, you have expressed this so well. Yes, the premature cutting of the heartstrings leads to a very unnatural and unhealthy distancing between parents and very young children that has lifelong consequences. I grieve over this very much.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:08 am 

More people coming out over the abuse in NTM PNG!! This goes out to all NTM PNG abuse Victims. Please band together and do not solo attack. If you wouldn't mind getting a hold of PEAMM at: exposingmissionabuse@gmail.com, we are more then
willing to head this up. Anything you send to us stays with only us.

Kyle J Yunker
Founder/President
PEAMM
PEAMM link: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=321269764832&ref=ts