MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:47 am 

I've thought a lot about whether or not to post on these forums. Whilst wrong has been done, sharing about abuse and naming those involved appears to be a rabbit hole. Regardless, the NTM leadership and those individuals who were tasked with the responsibility of being dorm parents, need to be held responsible. Changes need to be made in order to protect the future (and current) generation of MK's whose parents have 'dumped' them in a NTM operated dorm.

I was in the Newman dorm in Numonohi (now called 'Lapilo' - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numonohi) in Papua New Guinea for around 2 years during the early 90's. I was placed in the Newman dorm when I started school, 1st grade, at Numonohi Christian Academy.

I remember my first week with Clarence and June Newman. In the eyes and mind of a 1st grader, they were friendly enough and seemed interested in helping us transition into dorm life. From what I remember, my first year in the Newman dorm was ok. “Aunty June” would have occasional bad tempered moments but nothing overly aggressive or unusual. I remember receiving a few spankings during my 1st grade year, always from “Uncle” Clarence. At that time I believe Clarence and June had strict rule that June would handle punishments for the girls and Clarence would handle punishment for the boys. Spankings involved pulling down my trousers and underwear and being spanked with a custom made wooden paddle 3-6 times depending on how bad I had been. “Uncle” Clarence had made the paddle himself, I remember as it was once broken on the back side of one of my dorm brothers and “Uncle” Clarence made a new one with holes in it in order to reduce the air cushion and maximize impact. I remember being unable to sit down square for a day or so after one such spanking.

Six weeks into my second grade year in the Newman dorm, I was caught by “Aunty” June stealing a Snickers chocolate bar out of a cupboard where the Newman’s kept some of the special food which their supporters sent them. She grabbed me by my shirt, dragged me down to their bedroom (where spankings usually occurred), yanked my pants and under wear down and made me stand facing the wall. I remember looking behind me as she opened a dresser draw and took out the paddle (the new one, with holes). She then proceeded to spank me extremely hard. This was not the usual “controlled” spanking (e.g. punishment with love) but rather a punishment powered by her fury. June is a big woman and had an incredible thrust behind each spank. I remember before the first smack her saying “Don’t you ever take my food, ever!”. After receiving around seven heavy smacks I was crying and yelping in pain. I tried to move away and she proceeded to pin me against the wall. She reached around my front, grabbing my penis and testicles with her left hand squeezing tightly, she then proceeded to spank me another 5 times on my back side and right thigh, all the while squeezing and pulling on my testicles when I tried to move away. After the spanking finished she told me to put my pants back on and go back to my room. I don’t remember much about the rest of that day aside from the terrible pain in my groin, being unable to urinate and the bruising I could see on my thigh. I had many more spankings during my time in the Newman dorm but only from “Uncle” Clarence and none of them were like this.

I don’t know if anyone else from the Newman dorm had similar experiences. Maybe I was the odd one out. I had a number of other dorm parents during my ~10 years in PNG and never experienced any other sexual abuse outside the Newman dorm.

I keep tabs on the Newman’s from afar. I’ve always wondered what it would be like to run into “Aunty” June again. June now works at the Baptist Area Office in Chetopa, Kansas as an administrative assistant. Apparently she’s actively involved in teaching Sunday School and VBS, she’s around kids a lot. She’s also been diagnosed with diabetes. Sad.

I don’t plan on giving out my real name or addressing this directly with NTM. I would hope that leadership like Larry Brown and NTM’s legal representative/s (e.g. Scott Ross) are patrolling these forms and are sincere in their desire to address the issues within the NTM dorm and school system.

I'm a survivor.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:46 am 

Well, Mr. Ross, what would you do if someone had done that to your son? How about you Mr. Brown? And what is NTM going to do about this bit of information? Please let me know if I can help.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:04 am 

NTMers, DID YOU NOTICE THIS HAPPENED IN THE EARLY 90's!!! AND this woman has never been held accountable by anyone, and is still after all these yrs. in Christian work!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:35 am 

Thanks for posting your story, Fox. I think I knew some kids in that dorm - I'm going to check with them. So sorry this happened to you. I grieve over the injustice and pain that you and so many others faced.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:45 am 

Thank you, Fox, for sharing.

I am physically ill at the abuse you suffered. As a mother of two young boys, I cannot even fathom doing this to a child.

Please know that there are many that stand with you and for you as you share your story.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:31 am 

This makes me so sad and sick. I think about my two young boys while reading this and cannot imagine anyone letting this happen. Something must be done! They cannot hide from this story, especially since it was in the 90s, we cannot let them hide from this story. Do you know exactly what church she is attending, because we could always email them this link. She needs to be held accountable for the crimes she committed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:08 pm 

June Newman - Administrative Assistant
June has been at the Baptist Area Office for five years. She lives in Chetopa, Ks., with her husband, Clarence, who is pastor of First Baptist Church. She teaches piano and enjoys scrapbooking and handwork. She teaches Sunday School, VBS, and leads a Ladies Bible Study in the fall. She and Clarence have two adult children, Stephanie and T.J., and two adorable granddaughters, Baylee and Lindsey. Her life verse is, "I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." Phil. 3:14

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS!!! From Baptist Area Office website. Photo of her is there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:16 pm 

Well, that kinda limits us from emailing the link to the pastor now doesn't it. I doubt very much that he, being her husband, would make it public, instead they may send a letter to NTM requesting legal council, which they will probably be granted.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:20 pm 
Site Admin

This Baptist area office looks like it oversees many churches, one of which is her husbands.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:41 pm 

I just checked the Baptist area website, and June has been taken off. Perhaps someone has e-mailed them or they have seen the posting on this forum.