[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - Neighbors

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Neighbors
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:18 pm 

22 yrs, that about sums it up right there. I once spent a good four or five hours arguing with a young brazilian MK about how it was not in her own personal best interests to go to the unaccredited college here in the US at her parents just because "That's where a lot of her family had gone, and they turned out just fine." Yes, they drank the koolaide and they're just fine, for them. She, alas, was struggling between choosing the path that was right for her (the scary path) and doing what her parents believed best for her soul (the safe path for the time being). I think they've found a compromise-an accredited christian college that, while a little of what my wife calls "Them crazy jesus people," at least are not as insulated as they could be. And they're accredited. (AKA: Accredited essentially means they accept money from the government and meet sufficient standards that if you've gone to that college and want to transfers/your degree to mean anything, other colleges and universities will not laugh in your face)

I lucked out with being born to parents who taught me to examine scripture for myself and always go back to the bible. Much to their chagrin, I have not always come to the same conclusions they have (See aforementioned wife), but they are learning to live with that. Slowly. =/

As melodramatic as it sounds (and not to minimize abuse in any facet or respect), what happened at Numonohi seems like it is a symptom of a sickness that permeates all of NTM. Wycliffe has a cousin of that same disease, but perhaps it is a weaker cousin of the same thing (their interest in people having degrees, among other things, staving the worst of it off). Perhaps their first downfall is their pride/self-righteousness that leads them into the rest of their sins.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:31 am 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:17 am 

"Are ya ready boots?

Start walkin'!"

;)

I know you already are. More than ready.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:54 am 

His holiness the Dalai Lama has a quote, “If scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims.”
See: The church's hysterics over the world being round, not flat. Etc.
The greatest thing a man (or woman) can do is educate themselves. God did not give us eyes to see and minds to think with and then expect us to refuse to use them. This is a beautiful, wonderfully complex world in so many ways and it's a crying shame to use religion as our reason to not seek to understand it more clearly. The same applies to the bible.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:40 pm 

Interesting quote and one I like.

The Dalai Lama has visited Kiwiland on several occasions and is well received by the general public. I think it is because he actually speaks a lot of sense and delivers it in a calm rational manner (with a good sense of humour).
What gets entertaining is the reaction of the Chinese Government when we are seen welcoming the Dalai Lama with open arms. Not much love lost between the two, due to historical events. But being Kiwis we support the underdog :)

Of course it wasn't that many centuries ago that the only people who could read or write were the nobility, the priesthood and a privileged few. Only in the last few centuries have the masses in the western world been able to read and write en mass. About the time that technology started advancing in giant leaps.

And true this is a beautiful, wonderful world. A gentle breeze blowing through the ranch slider on a pleasantly warm summer day. The dog snoring quietly on one couch and me typing at the other, with Mrs Bemused away at work keeping us in the style we have become accustomed too ;) , much to be grateful for, me thinks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:03 pm 

Ghanima glad you are here, it is good to hear from MKs from all over and from different missions. I am from Mali W Africa, and went to Mamou from 49 to 60.

I don't know if you have heard of MK Safety Net or not but was started by missionaries and MKs to fight abuse. We are planning a conference in April in the Chicago area for MKs. You can check our the info on our site http://www.mksafetynet.net/conference/

By the way I had a Wycliffe missionary ask me the other day if I had hear of any abuse in Wycliffe.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:20 am 

For the record:
I just spent more than two hours on the phone with a former neighbour... IRL one!!

22_years_ago it was AMAZING to hear your voice again - been way toooooo long of a silence.
We must do that again.

Let's make a difference!!! :!:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:21 am 

WHO is next??

Just send me a phone number...

:shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:00 pm 

Yep Maire it was great. :D

So nice to be back in touch but pity the things we are talking about. We shall make a difference.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:25 am 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next