[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - Finally! the reason NTM isn't using GRACE (actually 10)

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:46 am 

In contrast to the horrible article written by attorneys Nussbaum and Sidebotham in collusion with NTM, here is a refreshingly insightful, helpful article on the subject of child abuse in church (and mission) environments -- in regard to both how to prevent it and how to respond to it:

http://ncptc.nonprofitoffice.com/vertical/Sites/%7B8634A6E1-FAD2-4381-9C0D-5DC7E93C9410%7D/uploads/JacobsHope.NL.6.11.pdf

(Thanks to elizabatu/liz of http://childrenofsim.wordpress.com :) )

New Tribes Mission! You need to read this article! ALL of it!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:45 pm 
Site Admin

"According to Dietrich Bonhoeffer, “Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.” Faith communities must recognize the attraction of child abusers to their institutions and must be proactive in keeping children safe. Failure to do so will result in additional cases of abuse, and in lifetimes of agonizing physical, emotional and spiritual damage."

So profound.

Thanks, Raz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:34 am 

It is an EXCELLENT article.
And it rings true.
It is not designed to protect an already tarnished reputation.
It is designed to protect children.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:58 am 

So much of this makes sense--wish it had been followed at Via--there were no boundaries--adults short-term teachers could have a "sleep-over" with any kid, anytime . . .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:18 am 

Did you notice that the Nussbaum/Sidebotham article is actually mentioned in the footnotes of Victor Vieth's article? So it is very current (and we are not the only ones disturbed by the N/S article!).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:56 am 

Hi Raz,

Don't know if you remember but I had mentioned that I called Sidebotham about her part in that horrible article, especially since she is an MK and that I was also going to email Nussbaum. Surprisingly, he responded but his response was predictable. He stated that he and Sidebotham reviewed their article and stand by it 100%. He also stated (since I had invited him to have a dialogue or go to fanda eagles' blog and SIM's blog) that he was too busy and their schedules didn't allow for such things and that if we were to all sit down and converse, we, MK's would realize that we are mostly on the same page. My response......."never."

Just thought I would give you an update on their thoughts. And yes, I too have read the other article........it was refreshing.

lara :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:17 pm 

Yes, Lara, I do remember.

The mere thought of sitting down and conversing with this man makes me sick to my stomach.
I can't bear the thought of being in the same room with a man who is a Christian and yet advocates for the use of the statue of limitations in order to protect pedophiles who have molested in children in religious places such as churches and schools.
Does he not recall that our Gentle Savior advocated for millstones around the necks of such people? No matter HOW long ago they committed their evil crimes????
And a man who calls repressed memories "junk science".
He'd better pray to God no one in his own family ever suffers from repressed memories ... their mind can't recall what happened, and yet they cannot fall asleep without drugs, and must always lie facing the doorway.
Somewhere tucked deep in their sleepless psyche is a memory ... that a horrible, heavy-breathing man they trusted came into their bedroom and fondled them while they were innocently dreaming.
They were only six years old.
My God, Martin Nussbaum!! That is JUNK SCIENCE, you say???!!!!
Ooooh, such angry tears right now! I am FURIOUS at your ignorance!!!!

Oh goodness, Lara .... what have you done to me?? I'm shaking right now!
:)
Hugs!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:10 pm 

Don't shake, Raz!
Hugs to you, too.
(And THAT is legitimate anger.)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:50 pm 

@ Raz.............I am sorry Raz. It infuriates me too, all of it..........and to think he had the audacity to think that he and MK's would somehow be on the same page. Sadly, this is the mindset of many. Our church is very missions minded and support many. I think I am going to approach the pastor about the "other" side of missions. I plan on sharing the Fanda Eagles website and also ask if maybe they can show All God's Children on a Wednesday evening or something........I think he would be quite open.........reformed presbyterian.

I am sorry for your pain...............it is mind blowing to me that there are those in ministry who can only see one aspect of Biblical teaching.......I try not to look up to christian brothers and sisters as Godly examples............I find that I am very frequently disappointed and disillusioned...............I talk to God although sometimes the things I say to Him are not always the nicest things..........I think He understands though and can take it.

Thinking and praying for you.
lara

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:14 pm 

BevST, we are waiting to hear from you.

Ahhhh, thank you, Mosiquito Bite for that. I was on a hiatus - but am back now.

Nussbaum is influential in the evangelical misson community. There are two professional organizations which give oversight to missionary schools (now many of the schools no longer use the name of the mission in their title, instead they call themselves International Schools). The oldest professional organization is the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) http://www.acsi.org/About/OfficesContactUs/tabid/575/Default.aspx and the second is The Child Safety and Protection Network (CSPN) http://childsafetyprotectionnetwork.org/associate-member-agencies. Most will of course be familiar with CSPN because Scott Ross was one of the founders of CSPN.

Nussbuam is legal counsel for ACSI. ACSI is an associate member agency of CSPN. CSPN gives seminars at the conferences that ACSI sponsors. There is a close relationship between the two organizations. Nussbaum would obviously have influence as legal counsel of ACSI, and I suspect his legal advice could possibly inform CSPN as well because of the relationship between the two organizations.

Nussbaum recently became legal counsel of The Christian and Missionary Alliance. I do not know if he is legal counsel for other mission agencies. (The Christian and Missionary Alliance has been notoriously negligent in how they have investigated allegations of abuse in their schools.... All God's Children tells a part of that story).

What he says matters and his role in mission agencies needs to be followed carefully.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next