MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Is NTM a Cult?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:50 pm 

I remember coming home from PNG at the age of 18 by myself and occassionally finding myself in a position of needing to explain where my teenage years had spent. I just said I'd been in PNG and then answered the next question with, my parents were working there. And then would come the question "what were they doing" and this is the one I didn't like to answer because replying "missionaries", usually lead to "who with?" and then it got into the uncomfortable zone. So in the end I just said I'd spent my teenage years in a "commune" and that satisfied most people.

Now I don't think it was a "commune" at all, it was just another "cult". Coming to that conclusion and admitting to myself, that it was not my choice and therefore not my fault has been strangely liberating. O.k., not everyone is going to agree with the diagnosis, especially those still on the inside, but when ex leaders are saying the same thing, it lends credibility to the diagnosis.

Cults, like any organisation, have good and bad aspects and good and not so good people. But if the big questions are readily answered before one joins and questioning discouraged when the gates have closed behind anyone who enters, the warning bell should be ringing.

So let's mount "Operation Rescue" and go into the bowels of NTM and save the lost. Ah, no. Most people exit a cult on their own choice when they figure out what is going on or find it doesn't satisfy their needs or are thrown out for one reason or another. Much better to let loved ones know that we are here when the time comes to exit.

Of course sticking ones neck out and saying "NTM (or Ethnos 360) is a cult", doesn't endear one to those on the inside, especially the hard liners, but then when you've been disowned, as is my case, there isn't much to lose and the hate mail is good for lighting the fire. On the other hand, if it is not possible to have a rational discussion with an internee without being talked over the top of, being called names and told you will die of cancer, it's just another confirmation that one is dealing with a cult.

Anyway, that is my two cents worth.

Post subject: Re: Is NTM a Cult?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:52 am 

Leaving a cult is like having a bad dose of diarrhoea while wearing a wetsuit. Oh the initial relief, but then oh what a mess and what do you do about the wetsuit? :o

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:15 am 

Funny ... but not funny.

Very perceptive, as always.

Thanks, Bemused.

:)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:07 pm 

I remember a similar thread many moons ago.
Only it was more of a debate about whether it was a cult or not.
Many and varied were the opinions.
The statement about having questions answered before entering
But not being able to ask questions after the gates close
Is upsetting to think about
In hindsight. :roll:
Hmmmm....
Several other unpleasant thoughts, too.
It IS quite the mess.