MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: As Bent as Bananas
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:34 pm 

From the L.A. Times

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-ame ... story.html

From what I can decipher from this article, 5 NTM men and one other were abducted and in all likelihood murdered in Columbia in the 1990s. The group held responsible is a "guerilla" organisation FARC. Now a Banana company is being sued because they alledgedly paid protection money to this organisation and it's rival, to ensure the safety of it's workers. If the case is won, many millions of dollars will be at stake. And I find this very wrong on several levels.

One). As an MK of NTM, I had it drummed into me that "Vengence is the Lords" and to "forgive those who trespass against us". I doubt I was the only MK receiving these messages, I'm still getting them, courtesy of a few family members who wish old Bemused would just shut up and not look any more into the NTM Child Abuse Scandal.
So what happened to "forgiving and trusting the Lord"? or does that only apply in some cases and when a lawyer dangles the chance of gaining millions, principles go racing out the door?

Two). Like it or not, NTM did a lot of damage to native populations, it's own members and many MKs. But I don't see lavish offers of compensation, on the contrary I read that legal action taken to make NTM accountable is vigorously defended, delayed and deviated. We all signed up or our parents signed up as members of NTM and those alliances alas mean that particiaption in NTMs roll of shameful deeds is a responsibility that lands on those who willingly are or were a part of NTM, whether on not we like it.

Three). Why take legal action against a Banana company who was trying to protect their own employees in very difficult circumstances, oh yes they have lots of money? Why not sue FARC for murder, oh they don't have lots of money, actually they don't exist, because peace broke out?

I realise this post may prove hard for those who have lost fathers and husbands in this awful saga, but my humble opinion is this is not going to bring them back and this legal action is wrong on so many levels.

Post subject: Re: As Bent as Bananas
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:43 pm 

From the article:

"FARC and other paramilitary groups were engaged in a decades-long civil war in Colombia that took thousands of lives."

So if this case is won, will there be any effort to track down the families of the thousands of others and share out the payment?

Oh I very much doubt it. Because as I learned in NTM, some lives are worth more than others, a lot lot more! :cry:

Post subject: Re: As Bent as Bananas
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:48 am 

News update. A settlement has been reached. This case will not go before a jury. But clearly the families of the NTM missionaries who were abducted and killed are receiving sums of money from Chiquita. Probably significant sums. Chiquita probably made this move to avoid the adverse publicity of a jury trial.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/05/se ... eaths.html