[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - NTM/ETHNOS360 Milestones - A Historical Perspective

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:59 am 

All of your observations are spot on, SkyeBlue.

It is good to have your voice hear.

There are only a few of us left ... weary, but still writing!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:24 pm 

Good resume of the consolidation/ branching out. Ugh!
Still here and writing.
Sometimes weary and sometimes not.
Would be nice to be revived by some truth in the inward parts.
Once we waited for that and hoped.
Now----fat chance! :(

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

consequence.jpeg
consequence.jpeg [ 56.49 KiB | Viewed 12404 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:52 am 

If there is anyone reading this who is a member or a supporter of Ethnos360 (New Tribes Mission), I hope you will consider something that has been heavy in my thoughts and on my heart. I hope I can find the words to express my heaviness.

This has to do with the poem so eloquently expressed by threewillows.

"Broken children left in your wake
Rumors of change conceal their carnage
Where is your consequence? ...."

It is not an exaggeration to speak of broken children, and carnage. Around the world there are broken children. Hundreds of them, if not thousands. Children of the missionaries who served in New Tribes Mission in decades past. Children who are now adults.

There are families torn asunder because this brokenness. There are estranged children. There are grieving parents who feel they have lost connection with their children. There are siblings who have ended up on opposite ends of the spectrum in their faith, their political leanings, or their opinions of NTM/Ethnos360.

Ethnos360 wants to believe they have taken care of the problems of the past. They want their members and supporters to believe this. They have spent enormous amounts of money (money donated by the faithful, intended for world evangelism) to conduct purported investigations into child abuse in several MK schools. Currently they are still paying an attorney to keep up the pretense of continuing investigations ... investigations which will carry no weight, and not lead to any validation or satisfaction for survivors of child abuse.

Current leaders of the mission, and current members, are willing to acknowledge that there have been some missionaries in the past who did hurt children. They refuse to name them publicly, but they do acknowledge that there were some people, particularly some staff members at MK boarding schools, who hurt children physically and even sexually.

It seems to be the opinion of mission members and leaders that since there has been an acknowledgement of abuse, and in some cases even a slap on the wrist for some perpetrators (these consequences have not been particularly verifiable, because things have all been so vague), that the mission has done its duty, and it is time for these matters to be considered resolved.

As a mother who has experienced tension, alienation and estrangement in my own family, I ask you to understand that NO, things are not resolved.

It is not helpful for you to point to MKs who you you consider to be well-adjusted, many of whom have actually joined your mission as adults, and even become a part of your leadership structure, as evidence that MK schools really weren't all that abusive or harmful.

Ethnos360 will never be willing to accept and acknowledge the fatal flaw in their MK education plan, devised in the 1940s or 50s.

They will never be willing to admit that separating small children as young as 5 or 6 years old from their parents for months at a time was WRONG.

It is a distraction to focus on individual perpetrators of abuse while refusing to acknowledge the error of separating small children from their parents for the sake of "The Work". The carnage this has caused will continue to cripple our families and kill our children.

The refusal to acknowledge this part of the child abuse picture in any significant way keeps most missionary or former-missionary parents from being able to accept how wrong the education set-up was. The set-up that we as parents felt pressured to participate in as a way to show our total devotion to the cause. As long as parents keep making excuses for abandoning their children, their children's pain will not be able to be healed.

Until this part of the issue is acknowledged and confessed, adult MKs who are your "broken children" will continue to be distant from you. They will continue to feel that the mission just doesn't get it. Their parents just don't get it. The pain that MKs have expressed to me stems more from the basic abandonment they experienced than it does from specific teachers or dorm parents who beat them or molested them.

The greatest pain is that as a 5 or 6 or 7 year old, they did not matter. They did not matter as much as the Mission did. They did not matter as much as pleasing the field leaders and the Executive Committee did.

Think about what this does to the psyche of a small child.

Think about this and weep.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:56 pm 

He said you left me to bring myself up!
He ran around his small world
Regulated by bells
Are we supposed to be happy
He can operate on his own
When he still needs us?
We wept...
All the way home.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:16 am 

:cry:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:33 am 

Raz & MB, thank you for your posts. This is not resolved, as you say. The pain and wounding are still playing out in the hearts and relationships of so many.

Meanwhile, Ethnos360 sends out postcard invitations for their 75th celebration next month. MKs are invited to a coffee get-together a few blocks from the Sanford Headquarters this Saturday, hosted by the MK Care Team.

Who got an invitation?
Who isn't invited?
If invited, would you be welcome?
If welcomed, would you be heard?

I'm reminded of a lyric...

It's hard to feel disqualified
For living in a different time
As if the train will only stop
For the current paradigm
(Obsolete, Sara Groves)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:09 am 

Hmm ... interesting.

I'm an MK. I didn't get an invitation to the get-together.

Maybe they think I'm too old.

Or too far away.

Or I don't count.

Anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:40 am 

You think you're to far away? What about me? :lol:

Just waiting for Larry to send me a personal invitation with two first class return tickets to Florida. Nothing in my Inbox yet, but my faith is stong and fish week.

I'll drop by and pick you up, pick your begs and grid up the lions in the meantime.

Wonder if Donald got an invite? :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:53 am 

:lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next