[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - News from the Australian Commission on child sex abuse

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:13 pm 

If the game show needs a buzzzzz-er
I'm in!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:10 am 

Here's a fairly good response to the Commission inquiry by the Salvation Army:

Maybe NTM and Crossview could learn something. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:26 am 

Yes, this is an impressive starting point.

It is too late now, but I wonder what it would have felt like, if three years ago, a letter similar to this would have gone out to New Tribes members, former members, MKs, supporters, and the American public, with this kind of wording?

"There are likely to be more stories from the past to be told. The evidence already heard from victims of abuse at these schools and boarding homes is horrific, shocking, and deeply shameful. Media coverage has been understandably damning of NTM leaders and staff involved, as well as the systems and structures that allowed NTM members to prey on children so deviously and deceptively.

NTM is ashamed that we allowed this to happen. It was a breach of the trust placed in us. We are deeply sorry. We continue to express our unreserved apologies, regret and shame.

This has been a time for NTM to listen to victims, respect their courage in coming forward, and to try to understand the devastation that has been inflicted on their lives.

We have been at all times transparently honest, and we intend to remain transparent with the general public. That is why we are sending this letter to you. We want to reassure you that we take our duty of protection of vulnerable children seriously. I want to assure you, as the leader of NTM-USA, that nothing is more important to me than this."

Okay. You can wake up now. Because this isn't a real letter. It didn't get sent.

I'm just saying "what if"?

And the letter from the Salvation Army in Australia isn't even addressed to the victims. Which means (I hope) there must have been a separate letter sent to them, with details of plans for compensation, consequences to abusers, etc.

It's too late for you, NTM. You did not choose this road.

And now it's far too late. Your lawyers won't let you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:07 pm 

And they think that their "independent" investigation is somehow going to placate their critics.

In my view, an investigation whose results are not publicly disclosed is much worse than no investigation at all. And until the membership and supporters of NTM get that message and force them to do so, nothing will change.

And the abuse will continue, just more hidden. And there will be another Scott Kennell ...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:17 pm 

And that is the worst aspect of this. We were reassured that the new policies and training system would prevent any more abuse and then we had the Scott Kennell saga.
Paedophiles aren't going to put their hand up and say "hey look here I am, I've read the new policy and . . . " No! they will as you so rightly point out be more hidden. The age of modern communication allows images to travel around the world with a click of the mouse. And unless missions take a very hard line, they will have more Scott Kennells, more victims and be having to hire more lawyers to wriggle them out of their responsibilities.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:43 pm 

P.S. every Australian NTMer listed on the Australian site received an e-mail about the IHART investigation with a suggestion that they contact any MKs they knew to ascertain their state of well being. This I know because I did it myself.

Of the 27 e-mails there was one response. 2 wrote to NTM and said they wouldn't reply because I didn't have any letters after my name. Shortly after this all Australian missionaries were deleted off the NTM site.

I leave the interpretation of this to the individual reader, but needless to say, I think it was a bitterly disappointing response and probably indicative of what is going on in NTM Australia.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:17 am 

What in the whole wide world does letters behind your name have to do with this saga? I am gobsmacked at the arrogance of mission boards/agencies! Did the pedophiles have letters behind their names? I have just found out that some apps (those you can interact with) for children as young as 4 are run by pedophiles, wonder if NTM is helping keep their children safe from this new wave of abuse. Full stop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:52 pm 

http://news.msn.co.nz/nationalnews/8908 ... rch-leader

Being dead doesn't mean one will not be investigated in Australia.

The Royal Commission of Inquiry into Child Sex Abuse marches on and has some big fish in it's net.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:15 am 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:18 am 

I believe the Australian Royal Commission might be close to including NTM or Crossview. I don't think they will care that Crossview is trying to distance themselves from NTM. Full stop.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next