MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Investigation
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:05 am 

Why don't you ask him?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:57 pm 

Paul Syson wrote:
If I remember right, Scott Ross was pushing for NTM to actively handle abuse allegations even before the Fanda issues became public. I sat in a couple sessions he taught to NTM personnel in either 2004 or 2005, where the focus of his modules were Child Protection. He was trying to work within the system to change the system. Could he have done more? In light of the past culture of NTM, I honestly don't know -- possibly so and possibly not. I have reason to believe that in the years since the GRACE report his desires toward that end has not changed. But I strongly suspect that he, too, has been shackled by NTM procedure... It is just possible that we actually have an ally who remains silent and works behind the scenes because of other constraints.

Paul,
When I read what you wrote in this post, it felt as if an attempt was being made to help him rehabilitate his reputation. However, perhaps you simply don’t have some of the information regarding the role Scott Ross has had. Here is what we know from the bio he sent to the C&MA in around 2008. Scott Ross was the “lead investigator in over 120 mission child abuse investigations.” “His success rate in proving the guilt of the perpetrators is well over 85 percent.” That would mean he determined the guilt of over 103 child abusers. When I called Scott Ross around 2009 to ask how many of those perpetrators he reported to law enforcement and how many had been removed from ministry, a paraphrase of what he said is “well I’m on a learning curve and I’ve discovered I should have been doing more”. He had not reported the perpetrators to law enforcement or required they be removed from ministry.

If you would like to put some names and faces to what you have just read, re-read the e-mails Lori McAlister posted re. Gary Earl.

Scott Ross was a co-founder of CSPN in about 2006. CSPN member agencies continue to investigate allegations of abuse and trauma internally. One positive change in the last year or two is that they now are required to report allegations of abuse to law enforcement agencies. But people within mission communities and organizations continue to staff investigation teams when reports of abuse are made. And as of two years Scott Ross ago still had a great deal of influence in CSPN (I’m not aware of that having changed).

My experience: Scott Ross is no ally to former or current MK's.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:00 pm 

This is Scott Ross' 2008 Bio that the C&MA sent out (the picture of he and his wife at the top of the flyer didn't "copy":

The Ross Group
Scott Ross
Principal

Scott Ross has been a member of New Tribes Mission for 22 years and House Counsel for 14 years. He is a graduate of Idaho State University and Gonzaga University Law School and is licensed to practice law in the states of Washington, Idaho and Florida. For 10 years Scott had a general practice of law in Spokane, Washington with an emphasis on criminal defense and then for 2 years served as a City Attorney.

Scott and his wife Debbie together with his two children served with New Tribes Mission in Papua New Guinea from 1987 until 1993 when he was transferred to New Tribes Mission’s home office in Sanford Florida to join the Crisis Management team handling the kidnapping of three of NTM’s missionaries in Panama. For the next 11 years Scott worked on kidnappings in Panama, Colombia, Indonesia and the Philippines as well as filled the House Counsel role for New Tribes Mission.

At present Scott is General Counsel for New Tribes Mission, consultant to the Southern Baptist International Mission Board, an adjunct senior trainer for Fort Sherman Academy, an international crisis management training academy. He has consulted on several crisis events for numerous missions and has been lead investigator in over 120 mission child abuse investigations. Scott has produced a 5 part video series on child abuse and a video on common mistakes made by churches and missions when confronted with a child abuse allegation which is being used by several mission agencies in their child safety programs.

He is considered one of the premier investigators in resolving charges of abuse by missionary children. His success rate in proving the guilt of the perpetrators is well over 85 percent. He is the author of training material for NTM related to preventing child abuse and a key player in establishing the Child Safety & Protection Network of mission agencies.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:55 pm 

You would have to be delusional and in denial to think Mr. Ross has the MKs in his best interest. A well played drama, is often tear jerking and believable.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:14 am 

BevST wrote:
Paul, When I read what you wrote in this post, it felt as if an attempt was being made to help him rehabilitate his reputation.

Thank you, Bev, for your clarification and documentation. My intent is certainly not to help Scott's reputation. As many of us are, I'm in the process of thinking through the various facets of this whole convoluted mess.
MKR wrote:
You would have to be delusional and in denial to think Mr. Ross has the MKs in his best interest.
I am pretty certain that the MKs are not his highest value; what I'm trying to evaluate for myself is where in his priorities they seem to fall.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:25 pm 

From Pat Hendix

“I’m sure by now that you have heard that I have been replaced as the coordinator for the Independent Historical Abuse Review Team. I just wanted to say that it has been a privilege and honor to have been a part of the process for the past three years. I have been honored to hear your stories, to cry with some of you, and to work toward justice and healing for you all. Pleaseknow that you are in my prayers and thoughts as the investigations go forward.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:28 pm 

Paul, my point of view is that JerryB summed it up well, when he said:

JerryB wrote:
He was just doing his job as legal counsel for NTM, and doing it all too well.

As legal counsel for NTM, it is indeed Scott's job to give NTM advice which will protect them. This includes protecting them financially, protecting their reputation, protecting them from potential legal troubles, and insuring the survival of the organization (in its present form or in some future form yet to be revealed).

As such, I believe he has done his job to the best of his abilities, and I can't fault him for that.

I just think it is important to keep in mind what his job title is. I would in no way characterize him as an ally of abused MKs. His work behind the scenes is also for the good of the mission. As far as constraints, the constraints I have encountered, I believe have actually been erected by the legal counsel giving directives to those in NTM who are working on the MK abuse issue. This includes directives for people not to tell us things in writing, such as e-mails, but to only have phone conversations with us. It is when attorneys started controlling people's actions, statements and opinion that the NTM I spent most of my life in morphed into something I no longer recognize.

But Scott Ross is just doing his job. And doing it well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:32 pm 

[color=#0040BF]The NTM I spent most of my life in morphed into something I no longer recognize. [/color]

I'm sorry, Rachel. For you, and all of us who have experienced this betrayal. There is so much pain and betrayal for those of us who grew up with the mission as our family and community of origin....I have found it to be one of the greatest sources of pain of all. Hugs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:49 am 
Site Admin

The Panama Reps are getting an answer to the exposure of the raw interviews. I will post an update as soon as I hear.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:57 pm 

Paul Syson wrote:
BevST wrote:
Paul, When I read what you wrote in this post, it felt as if an attempt was being made to help him rehabilitate his reputation.

Thank you, Bev, for your clarification and documentation. My intent is certainly not to help Scott's reputation. As many of us are, I'm in the process of thinking through the various facets of this whole convoluted mess.
MKR wrote:
You would have to be delusional and in denial to think Mr. Ross has the MKs in his best interest.
I am pretty certain that the MKs are not his highest value; what I'm trying to evaluate for myself is where in his priorities they seem to fall.

Good luck with that!

If and when you figure this out, please remember who hired him, who is following his advice and where in THEIR priorities MKs (not to mention "missionaries") seem to fall...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 39  Next