[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - NTM Recommendation failure

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:28 pm 

Forgot to say the other day:

Ajax, the Foaming Cleanser,

THANK YOU FOR STARTING THIS PARTICULAR THREAD.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:41 pm 

Ok Raz that definitely brings clarity to the issue. By NTMs own standards aside from the law she committed sexual abuse against a minor and there should not have been reinstatement. Looking back into the past I would still like to know the age of the young man in regards to "criminal offense punishable under the law" issue.
In regards to wether it was child abuse or adultery the only real distinction I see is that one is a criminal offense the other is not unless you live in Saudia Arabia where you can be executed for adultery. Whatever it was it was a moral sin against God and in his eyes one is not worse than the other. Also sin has a long arm and even now 20+ years later it is still having repercussions causing pain, shame, anger and fear.
Yeah I know we probably will never know the facts of the matter.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:56 pm 

Any update on this? Anyone?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:05 pm 

NTM has published and distributed their 2012 calendar.

The quote on the very first page of the calendar, the Dec. 2011 page, reads:

"Our mission effort, motivation, and challenge should focus more on the Lord of the harvest rather than the harvest."
--Dean Van Vliet, retired NTM missionary

GRACE's recommendation regarding this same Dean Van Vliet:

Dean Van Vliet (Non-Active Member of NTM-USA)

As a result of Dean Van Vliet’s failure to report child abuse and his failure to otherwise protect the children of Fanda, GRACE recommends retroactive termination from active membership. This shall be evidenced by a written notice signed by the NTM Executive Committee and must include:

• A general summary of the basis for the termination.
• A summary of NTM’s failure to take prompt action to protect the children.
• A summary of NTM’s failure to immediately report the abuse to civil authorities.
• A summary of NTM’s failure to terminate Dean Van Vliet when it first received notice of his failures to report abuse and protect the children at Fanda.
• A commitment that NTM-USA shall not rehire nor provide any form of recommendation on behalf of Dean Van Vliet.

The termination from active membership notice must be placed in Dean Van Vliet’s member/personnel file, must be delivered to Dean Van Vliet, must be posted on the member section of the NTM website for 6 months, must be provided to Fanda MKs, and must be provided to any and all individuals and/or churches that currently provide financial support to Dean Van Vliet. NTM-USA shall immediately begin to deduct 10% of Dean Van Vliet’s gross income and contribute such to the MK Fund. These deductions shall be permanent. Dean Van Vliet shall never be allowed to represent NTM in any formal and/or informal capacity.

Does NTM really think we're not going to notice this kind of stuff???

Or are they doing it on purpose?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:31 pm 

Maybe no one in the publishing department knows that Dean Van Vliet was terminated.

Very frustrating!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:02 pm 

Still thinking about this ...

NTM, this is the type of thing that erodes people's confidence in the integrity of the IHART investigations.

Because in the end, what kind of actual penalties or consequences will there be: for people who abused vulnerable MKs, and also for those who minimized, denied, enabled, mishandled, or covered up such abuse?

If we don't expect any significant and lasting consequences, then what's the point?

What ARE we doing?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:40 am 

I remember Dean well. He was the field chairman in PNG when I was there. I found him to be a likeable, kind man.
The last I heard from Dean was when my parents received a letter from him in responce to one I'd written to Sanford threatening to expose a few home truths, as my parents had been the victim of a NTM fraud. For some reason he wrote to my parents with the threat of reviewing their membership of NTM if they had put me up to writing on their behalf. I received no correspondence, but did have the satisfaction of getting NTM to quickly reverse their wrong doing.
Now I read that Dean has been dishonourably discharged for failing to report/act upon child abuse. What on earth happened to the man I knew in PNG?
So now I find out that the person who recruited my parents into NTM and the person my parents probably most looked up to on their field, have both been found guilty of either commiting acts of sexual abuse on children or covering it up. Is there anyone left unblemished from my childhood?
I feel the time is coming when I am going to have to ask my father some very blunt questions, which will I suspect end what little relationship we have left, for I feel he to will lie to protect the now unprotectable.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:11 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:14 pm 

From our experience, the different depts do not communicate very well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:08 am 

In any event, this is not right and is a failure on the part of NTM to keep its word.