[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - Tambo during the 50's & 60s

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:12 pm 

Looking for contact from kids that attended Tambo from the start when it moved from Cochabamba thru the mid 60's.

It was an interesting time with having nearly NO contact with our parents and under the control of the NTM staff. I have read lot's of the post and most all are reporting the abuses from the 70's and later. I am well aware of abuses early on in the history of Tambo. It is also not as fresh as the later abuses and many of the staff have pased away.

My siblings and myself went through now what we are seeing now, is true abuse. Some sexual (fondling and etc.), mental, spanking way beyond normal (some might have been my fault) and some literal beatings, and spiritual abuse due to our denomination.

Let me know your early years. The good, the bad and the ugly.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:24 pm 

Thank you for posting, diphilanatx. A lot of abuse occurred in Tambo. Abuse that needs to be brought to light.

Very few MKs from Tambo have posted here on Fanda Eagles. I hope there will be some brave souls who will come here and share their stories.

And I also want to mention that people can message you privately through this website, if they don't want to speak out publicly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:03 pm 

I've heard there is a closed Facebook group for Tambo alumni. You might want to look there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:56 am 

I have been reading this web site and trying to follow all the posts but it is to much to keep up with, so I have not posted in a long time. We do have a private Tambo site on Facebook and that has been helpful because when we write our stories we all know who we are talking about and it is not do under another name. It has been very helpful and it really has moved a lot of us to help each other out and hopefully help each other heal. It is sad a sick what my fellow Tamboites went through and it seems to have been happening right from the beginning. If you want to e-mail me and you attended Tambo as a student I will add you to the group. I would encourage any of you from any of the other schools to start a group like that because it is wonderful to get all the dirty laundry out and to see that you are not alone in your experiences. As stated in one of the posts here there are a lot of people that do have their butts high in the air and their heads deep in the sand and do not want to come out and talk about it or help other mks through this struggle but those we just love and say they are the ones missing the great fellowship. It has been stated on our page that only a couple 100 people in all the world have our experiences and it is nice to have a place that is safe where we can talk. I have had to go back and really rethink many of the experiences I had and have come to terms with many things. I am getting ready to meet with the investigator and tell my story and I am glad that I can do that. I hope the more people that talk to them the better light that is shed on the policies and practices that allowed that abuse to happen and I hope we can help make some changes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:33 pm 

Thanks for checking in, Wounded. We are all so grieved over the horrible abuses that took place in Tambo ... from practically the beginning, as you say.

We all stand with you 100%, and I am glad the private Facebook page has been such a help to so many of you.

The TRUTH will set us free! Keep shining the light of truth into dark, hidden places!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:19 pm 

I haven't been on here for awhile, since the Facebook forum is so active, so I didn't see this new section. Tambo opened in 1952, moving from Cochabamba to a secluded location in country. And, yes, it had problems from the very beginning. Ed Degville was co-founder of the school and the first principal. I arrived in early 1955 and he left later that year. Rumors about him floated around for years, but were never substantiated. I have been in touch with three of the girls who were high-schoolers at that time, and he DEFINITELY was a pervert! Inappropriate touching, fondling, and it at least one case - actual rape. (Her family abruptly left the field, and as far as I know, she is not reporting anything)
Unfortunately not many people from that era are posting. Of the ones I just mentioned, one is on the FB forum but the others are not.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:23 pm 

I'm interested in the Tambo facebook group ... I attended Tambo in 1974-75. I'm trying to respond to "wounded" post ...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:49 am 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:05 pm 

So glad the Tambo MKs have a FB site. The Mamou AMKs have one also. It has been a great help to many of us. Are any of the Tambo AMKs going to be at the MK Safety Net conference in Chicago this month? There are not just hundreds that have been abused at boarding schools but thousands. Spiritual abuse was common in all boarding schools. Spiritual abuse is using God or the Bible to threaten and control people.