MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The silent majority
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:32 pm
Posts: 2328
Forgotten MK wrote:
Please hear what I have to say. I think after this post I will finish reading and writing on the Fanda Eagles blog, because some of the things the onlookers say are so off-base that they are hurtful. I feel like many are determined to be one-sided. When did this website become a place for anyone who has had a grievance against NTM to get together and bash NTM? Do you realize that when you throw unnecessary dirt at an organization like this that it is comprised of members of the body of Christ (and yes, some of the accusations ARE necessary, but let's keep it only to the necessary!)? I am NOT saying we should hide what happened. I am NOT saying it never happened. I am NOT saying to move on prematurely. But I am saying that there are some excellent things about New Tribes Mission.

NTM is a para-church organization. We, as NTM missionaries and candidates, represent our local sending church. That is why NTM is never going to be a cult if they continue in the direction they are headed. NTM is an organization that is used by the local church to do what local churches don't know how to do--reach unreached people groups. This task is complex and involves specific training. Thus, NTM serves the church by providing a way for them to reach the unreached. They have not always operated in this way, but the important thing is that they are now operating this way. If you want to bash NTM, you're going to have to criticize the way they used to be and not the way they are currently.

As for NTM "repenting," Gene, I don't understand why you don't believe it is genuine. I can truly say that I believe their repentance is genuine. And I am on the inside. I have seen it. In the last two months, I have seen everyone between missionaries hot off the field to executive board members who are broken at what has taken place. Many of you are reading only about what they have done in the past and of course, these things were terribly wrong. But NTM is admitting that and they are changing. Gene, why don't you just go ahead and keep saying that your brothers and sisters in Christ are lying to my face and I'm too naive to realize that's what they're doing? Because when you say they only have fake repentance, that's what it means in my life.

In 1997, new leaders were appointed in NTM, and they have sought to make the organization more "grace-based." We all want to be judged based on who are today, and not by our past. I just want the readers of this post to know that I am not with NTM because I have faith in the mission itself. I don't. My faith is in God. If they hadn't been responding to the GRACE report the way they have been then I would have left. But I am an MK who was also abused (not by NTM, but another organization), and I choose to remain with NTM because I have personally seen that they have changed. Don't you think my standards for their change would be higher than someone's who wasn't abused? NTM is a means to an end for me (reaching the unreached people groups) and they are an effective way to meet my goals. And what I see on this blog by many posters is largely biased against them. Please look at the other side of the story. If there are still missionaries within NTM who are ignorant of this situation, that is because of their own personal choice. NTM has informed us all of the situation and asked us to read the GRACE report--even the missionary candidates.

If you focus only on the negative, you lose credibility. Focus on the facts. And they are: NTM abused MKs and missionaries due to the environment that the leadership created. NTM continued in this way for some time, until the leadership repented. NTM is no longer this way.

Forgotten MK, what is your perspective four years later?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The silent majority
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:10 pm
Posts: 868
Gene Long wrote:
Forgotten MK wrote:
As for NTM "repenting," Gene, I don't understand why you don't believe it is genuine. I can truly say that I believe their repentance is genuine. And I am on the inside. I have seen it. In the last two months, I have seen everyone between missionaries hot off the field to executive board members who are broken at what has taken place. Many of you are reading only about what they have done in the past and of course, these things were terribly wrong. But NTM is admitting that and they are changing. Gene, why don't you just go ahead and keep saying that your brothers and sisters in Christ are lying to my face and I'm too naive to realize that's what they're doing? Because when you say they only have fake repentance, that's what it means in my life. ...


I am sorry that I gave the impression that NTM, Inc.'s repentance was not genuine. The only reference I can find on this thread that may support that is this: "NTM, Inc. did not have a sleepless night, read through the records and come across some unresolved issues that they decided to put right. Some very courageous, very tenacious former MKs went public, made a lot of noise and were supported by a vast and varied array of outraged people - believers and otherwise. That is why NTM, Inc. 'repented.'"

I stand by that. Maybe the quotation marks misled you; I used them only because I do not believe any organization, not NTM, not IBM, not Ford, can "repent." But, rather than press that issue, I used the word that has seemed to gain currency. Still, that is not the same as saying it is not genuine "repentance." Even genuine repentance can come about as a result of intense, sustained and widespread adverse public pressure. If NTM, Inc.'s repentance is genuine, it came about for that reason. That is all I was saying, and I think the facts of history support that. Please ask Mr. Brown what he thinks and get back to us.

Let's say a tax collector had been cheating his fellow countrymen. He repents and promises not to cheat again. Then, he tells his friends and neighbors, otherwise known as victims, that it is time to move on; he's going to be fair from now on. Honest Injun. Just trust him. Is that repentance?

I had been a member of NTM, Inc. for 19 years when the 1997 Grace Restoration took place. NTM instituted some awesome changes. They said they were sorry for what had happened in the past, and asked forgiveness. Then, they said it is time to move on. NTM, Inc. admitted that scores of lives had been ruined by their actions. Please ask Mr. Brown for a list of all the actions undertaken by NTM, Inc. to repair that damage. Letters of apology written to churches, financial assistance to victims, offers of reinstatement. Is that repentance?

NTM, Inc. knows of sexual abuse of children that took place in the Philippines, to pick one example. Please tell me what has been done. Has NTM, Inc. followed the precedent set by the GRACE report about Fanda? Have they been proactive in notifying the authorities, warning churches, neighbors? Who has been terminated? Who has been compensated? Is that repentance?

You, Forgotten MK, are not the only one who has good things to say about NTM, Inc. Many people would, and do. I count myself among that number, and you can find such things posted on this forum, including by me. But, this particular forum is not about Bible translation in PNG, church planting in the Amazon, evangelism in creative access countries. No one on this forum is biased against these things. People are biased against sexual and other abuse of children, and such a subject is, by its very nature, going to have a negative tinge about it.


I still feel the same way about what I wrote... though I doubt anyone would expect otherwise!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The silent majority
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:27 pm
Posts: 5141
Demostenes Dalai Mud Lama wrote:
Forgotten MK, what is your perspective four years later?



That is a good question for Forgotten MK, and if they are still around, I hope they will answer it.

We do know for a fact that there are some NTM members who have resigned from the mission, due in large part to the way the mission has handled the MK abuse concerns.

We also know there are others who are on their way out of the mission, for the same reason.

From my limited perspective, it does look like NTM has changed in the past four years. I no longer hear about how sorry NTM leaders are about the abuses suffered decades ago by MKs. I have heard no recent report from Larry Brown or any Executive Board members about lost sleep or tears shed. There is practically an information blackout these days. I have learned that some current mission members view Fanda Eagles as their source of real information, because they are given so little news by their own leaders.

Who is controlling New Tribes Mission-USA today? The Executive Board? The Holy Spirit? The Bible? The mission's attorneys? Scott Ross, David Doyle, et al?

Who is conducting investigations into abuse allegations presently? IHART, now led by Theresa Sidebotham, one of Scott Ross' good friends and strong supporters? Professional Investigators International, run by Bob and Linda Davis of Idaho, also friends of Scott Ross?

What has happened to NTM missionaries or former missionaries who have been found to have committed acts of abuse against the children of their fellow missionaries? Have they been arrested? Have they been sued? Have they been terminated from the mission? Have they been shamed, exposed, and named before supporters and co-workers? Or have they been asked to resign, asked to contribute to an MK fund, asked to write letters of contrition? Oh, and had a vague report put in their personnel file in Sanford ....ooh, the horror!

Cynical much? Yes, I am. There have been changes in the past four years, it is true. But from where I sit, the changes have not been ones welcomed by abused MKs. And from what I hear, they have not been universally welcomed by mission members either.

We are not impressed. :(


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The silent majority
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:14 am
Posts: 5266
Allow me to answer and comment.

Raz wrote:






We do know for a fact that there are some NTM members who have resigned from the mission, due in large part to the way the mission has handled the MK abuse concerns.

We also know there are others who are on their way out of the mission, for the same reason.

From my limited perspective, it does look like NTM has changed in the past four years. I no longer hear about how sorry NTM leaders are about the abuses suffered decades ago by MKs. I have heard no recent report from Larry Brown or any Executive Board members about lost sleep or tears shed. There is practically an information blackout these days. I have learned that some current mission members view Fanda Eagles as their source of real information, because they are given so little news by their own leaders. Amazing, but as Fanda Eagles is about exposing the truth and NTM seems to be about hiding the truth, then the wise will find the truth wherever they can find it.

Who is controlling New Tribes Mission-USA today? The Executive Board? Only as a figurehead. The Holy Spirit? Not anymore. The Bible? Which version? The mission's attorneys? Yes. Scott Ross, and being paid well too. ?

Who is conducting investigations into abuse allegations presently? IHART, now led by Theresa Sidebotham, one of Scott Ross' good friends and strong supporters? Professional Investigators International, run by Bob and Linda Davis of Idaho, also friends of Scott Ross?


What has happened to NTM missionaries or former missionaries who have been found to have committed acts of abuse against the children of their fellow missionaries? Have they been arrested? Have they been sued? Have they been terminated from the mission? Have they been shamed, exposed, and named before supporters and co-workers? Or have they been asked to resign, asked to contribute to an MK fund, asked to write letters of contrition? Oh, and had a vague report put in their personnel file in Sanford ....ooh, the horror!
It's called abetting criminals.

Cynical much? Yes, I am. There have been changes in the past four years, it is true. But from where I sit, the changes have not been ones welcomed by abused MKs. And from what I hear, they have not been universally welcomed by mission members either.
Revolution time from the inside?

We are not impressed. :(


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

All times are UTC - 5 hours


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group