[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - The silent majority

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: The silent majority
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:49 pm 

Forgotten MK and Kari: A while ago when the Grace Report came out I was wondering about how the fund was going to be funded. Can contributions be made to NTM to the Fanda Fund from outside contributers?

Also, I want to say along with Forgotten that I personally know some NTM members who are quite devastated about this report, and have shared the GRACE information with others outside of NTM. So they are out there. Good to here from Forgotten MK as well.

God is always working, and it is evident His Spirit is working in people's hearts now. God is faithful...I really believe that. After all, He was faithful to get the Fanda Eagles MKs going to lift the silence. We all owe you a great debt. Praying for you all.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:18 am 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:03 am 

[quote=]"Gene LongAll readers of this forum should realize that a lot of deep emotions are being expressed here. Sometimes, we who post betray ourselves into reacting more personally to some comments than we normally would, or phrasing things in a way that does not fully reflect our respect for the other person or his/ her ideas/ experiences. I try to be cautious, but I know that I am guilty of this; that may explain why I have had to post some "follow up" explanations to many of my comments!
[/quote]
This is so true of me!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:05 am 

Got the quote thing wrong again ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:04 pm 

@ FrmrNTer, I think you can send your checks directly to Sanford with the memo "Fanda MK Fund." Include a note with more specifics, if you want, and it will go to whatever you designate. The address is as follows:

New Tribes Mission Headquarters
78 Mission Blvd
Sanford, FL 32771

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:05 pm 

@ FrmrNTer, I think you can send your checks directly to Sanford with the memo "Fanda MK Fund." Include a note with more specifics, if you want, and it will go to whatever you designate. The address is as follows:

New Tribes Mission Headquarters
78 Mission Blvd
Sanford, FL 32771

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:10 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:38 am 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm 

ForgottenMk-

I appreciate what you had to say, and I just wanted to thank you for whatever role you may play in the change that will (hopefully!) take place within NTM.

I think the first thing that needs to happen- for the "silent majority" is education! They (meaning every MK, every NTer, every current member) MUST read (in full) the G.R.A.C.E report. For me, it was like lightbulbs going off- to hear an outsiders perspective on why abuse happened, how the system actually allowed abuse to happen, and continue. Additionally, the definitions of abuse were very helpful. So many don't want to read the report because it is "hard to take, emotionally" or "it makes them uncomfortable." So be it. Uncomfortable and gut-wrenching as it is, it is REALITY, and the sooner we face it, the better!

I believe there are many who don't want to talk about, deal with, or otherwise face the ugly facts of abuse. There are likely many who don't even know about the Fanda report, being that many of the old-timers are not internet savvy, and the report was only available on the internet. I highly doubt NT took the time and money to print a hard copy for every member and mail it to them! (do the math 10 cents a page x 60 pages x #?missionaries x international postage= alot of money!)

Certainly, the vast majority have not found their way to the forums to read the other accounts of abuse in the other schools run by NT!

Couple that with the silence coming from any current NT member (including leadership) and we are ALL left wondering WHO is doing WHAT about all of this! It is natural to want to take it into our own hands, then, when it seems that THEY have dropped the ball. And yet, we would REALLY like to see someone step forward and claim full responsibility for the actions of the mission in covering up the known cases of abuse and in dealing with the cases that are just now surfacing!

So, maybe a petition is the way to go, or maybe we should each write a personal letter (no anonymity) to the leadership of the Mission, and state our demands/suggestions/wishes. Certainly, spreading awareness is important too. Spread the word to your MK and Missionary contacts on Facebook. Write letters requesting the support of your more admired and respected NT members. Ask your MK friends to share their stories with GRACE and file reports with NTM. Write NT and tell them you'd like to serve on an advisory panel for helping abused MKs.

Any other ideas?

Your input is appreciated. Let's work together!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:01 pm 

After reading virtually all posts and the Fanda Grace report and posing a few times, I am wondering how deep and wide does the abuse goes? So far:

Fanda-Senegal
PNG
Phillipines
Brasil
Paraguay (not in boarding school but related)
Venezula
Fredonia Boot Camp

Many lives have been damaged. My heart has this sinking feeling that we have seen only a fraction of what lies beneath the wake left over the years. A close friend who was physically and emotionally abused knows of abuse that took place beginning in the 50s. We have heard of abuse that took place well into the 90s. The silent majority are beginning to find thier voice. How many more?????

Only God can help us and He will!

I have doubts whether NTM can ever recover even with the best of intentions, follow up, and policies. NTM's image and the image of NTM "heros" have been permanently and irreversibly damaged. The current leadership may be trying thier best, but short of resigning and asking an outside governing board to come in and clean up the mess, how can NTM ever gain back and build credibility that has been and continues to be lost?

Waiting to hear from the silent majority.....and we are patient.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next