MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Media Alert
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:11 pm 

Mark Twain famously said, "I could have made this shorter if I had had more time."

Too bad NTM's publicity department didn't have more time; they could have made their statement shorter and in the process also made it clearer. I am no Mark Twain, but I think I can help. Here is my humble contribution to the effort:

New Tribes Mission didn't do anything wrong. In fact, we did everything right. Les Emory is a liar; NTM is not.

We did everything possible to help, and the allegations in this law suit are untrue. We are telling the truth. The MK who claims to have been abused is a liar. Plus, it happened eighteen years ago. That's a long time ago.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:38 am 

Aside from the alleged fact regarding the leaders' belief that Les Emory may not face justice in the Philippines (that one sounds suspicious - but it may be true they had that belief, I don't know), the other facts that NTM asserts here have the ring of truth to me. I think NTM probably did what they say they did here. Whether or not those actions were the proper actions is an entirely different question.

Jane Doe was definately abused. No question. Jane needs justice and compensation. No question.

Some of the facts asserted in the law suit about "recent knowledge" and other assertions do seem very suspicious to me. But, in the interest of justice, sometimes the facts have to be stretched a bit to fit the law. The "recent knowledge" assertion is key to when the statute of limitations clock began to run on the one cause of action.

Ok. I know I asked for it here. I'll take my beating.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:01 pm 

Thai MK. I agree with what you said. I think some statements in the law suit are stretching the facts. I also agree with your suspicion of the one statement NTM said. That is why I think it is good that this goes to court and the facts looked at by a competent judge. I support Jane Doe and want her to receive the help, support, and compensation she should receive due to her abuse.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:36 pm 

www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-new-tribes-child-sex-abuse-suit-20110729,0,1947467.story

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:09 pm 

Here it is:

New Tribes Mission hit by another child sex abuse suit
The child of missionaries in Senegal is suing in Sanford.
Share0
Comments
By Rene Stutzman, Orlando Sentinel
5:21 p.m. EDT, July 29, 2011

SANFORD – Another woman has sued New Tribes Mission, one of the largest Christian mission organizations in the world, the second alleging she was the child of missionaries when she was sexually abused by a dorm dad and Bible teacher at a New Tribes-run boarding school 25 years ago.

This woman, identified only as Jane Doe, alleges she was victimized at the boarding school in Fanda, Senegal.

The earlier suit, filed in May, alleges that a different woman, Jane Doe No. 7, was sexually abused on a different continent – Asia – also at a church-run boarding school.

Related

Read The Religion World blog
A gallery of religion news stories
How to find God on Google
Topics
Abusive Behavior
Sex Crimes
Sexual Assault
See more topics »

That woman grew up, the child of New Tribes missionaries, in the Philippines and alleges she was sexually abused in the 1980s and early '90s.

Each suit identifies by name the dorm dads accused of the abuse. They are different people, and neither is named as a defendant.

The FREE Orlando Sentinel app for iPad. Now available in the app store.

Instead, the suits focus on New Tribes, accusing it of failing to properly investigate allegations of sexual abuse at those mission compounds and once it did find out, covering it up.

New Tribes attorney David Doyle did not return a phone call Friday. Neither did New Tribes spokeswoman Nita Zelenak.

The new suit, filed last week, provides few details about the abuse. It does not say how many times the woman, now in her 30s and living in Canada, was abused.

That's because she suppressed all memories of it until last year, according to her attorney, Eric Faddis.

That's when GRACE, a Christian organization hired by New Tribes to investigate what happened at Fanda, released its findings. It reported that two dozen children had been sexually abused by a dozen employees there in the 1980s and 90s.

New Tribes accepted responsibility for the abuse when the report was released. It said its managers had made inadequate attempts to investigate in 1997 and 2009 and that, as an organization, it had sinned against the children.

It had not reported the alleged abusers to local law enforcement authorities, Zelenak said last year.

GRACE investigated abuse only at Fanda - not Aritao Nueva Vizcaya, the Philippines, the site of the abuse alleged in the other woman's case.

She alleges she was raped repeatedly from age 8. She has asked for at least $5 million in damages.

The church will argue at a hearing Aug. 31 that her suit should be dismissed. The abuse took place more than four years ago, meaning the woman waited too long to file suit, the missionary group alleges.

It also says the organization shouldn't be held liable for the acts of an employee.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

NTM did not hire GRACE to do the other investigations because their members complained that the GRACE report was unbalanced and did not reflect enough of the good NTM was doing. How you balance a report of a dark chapter of someone's history is beyond me, but I suggest you will find more "balance" in Pat's report. It was not about the time constraints, Pat's last investigation took a number of years. These will not be timely.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:31 pm 

Welcome back, Kari!
Good to hear your voice again.
See World Magazine for July 16th for an article on Boz' brother.
It's probably online too.
Does anyone ever remember NTM saying anything about sinning against the MKs?
That would be nice.
GRACE did call it that.
GRACE did an awesome investigation in a timely manner.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:44 pm 

PS: The Grace Report was an investigation of CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE.
Not the "good works" of NTM.
How can those people twist this around like this???
This IS all about NTM, but not in a positive way.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:34 am 

Not all NTM members complained that the GRACE report was not balanced. I have spoken with several members and they did not feel that way. The opinion of at least one is that any report being made should be critical. Without criticism there is no way to correct errors. The report was not made to say what was done correctly.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:45 am 

At least one member means that there are probably more. However I can not say bcause I personally have not spoken to every member of NTM. For me to speak for or about what someone thinks that I have not spoken to and personally know would be an error. Speaking in absoutes usually requires one to make assumptions that may or may not be true.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 20  Next