MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:16 am 

I've been reading the forums and taking in all the sad events that have transpired within NTM over the past 20 years. I'm deeply moved for the one's that were hurt. I’am myself a former Fredonia candidate who witnessed the brutal blunt leadership that opened up wounds and then discarded families or individuals in the name of Christ to be picked up by others to work through their deep wounds.

But this is not my point. This place was the breeding ground for the future abusers i.e. Spiritual legalistic people that leadership took delight in and encouraged into leadership and they would later arrive on the field with strong views and recommendations from boot camp and soon into leadership.

You may be wondering what happened to me. Well some of the students that were ahead of me gave me good tips to smile my way through to language school. Yes I made it through a period of time and I have come to look upon this time as one of the low points of my Christian life. I was told that at bootcamp they would rock the cup and see what comes out . I thought coming to boot camp would be an equipping and training program little did I know. Its do has you are told or it’s the highway. All about finding faults and sending people out the door discouraged, to what? Discouraged, without a home, without a job, wonder if they all have managed to pick up the pieces..

I commend Larry Brown and the other on the executive committee in taking the bold step to be open and deal with the past. I rejoice that the boot camp has been taken away as well

I have been reading with interest the comments from Larry Brown and must add that I congratulate ntm on its current direction but HOW do you get the bootcamp mentality out of the mission that has several generation on the field.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:34 am 

I agree with the statement above. Growing up in NTM I was excited to go through the training and return overseas to work in the tribe. The staff was brutal and my thought was " They don't want us in the mission." Every time we turned around we were made to do something else. Picked on and pulled apart. Working very long hours no matter what. The opening of Mississippi boot camp was an eye opener. I remember working from breakfast till lunch,,lunch till supper and then being made to work after supper till late, which in itself was fine. The problem was that my friend ans I were high as kites painting the bathroom walls with palyurethane and no ventilation. Boot camp was a living nightmare, we were raising a nudist because our baby had such bad diaper burn that the nurses told us to keep the diaper off and just cover her. One staff family, the wife stayed in their appartment and NEVER talked or visited students. The staff couldn't even agree or even meet with us when a family member got extremely sick and we were trying to decide what would be best. Students were the scum and had to take what they thought God's will was and you had no say. We made it through to language school but what a disfunctional group of men.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:18 pm 

I have also been a member on the foreign field, so I quite understand some of the ill feelings regarding questioning leadership. I was a voluntary I had to provide my own support and all the rest and then I had someone tell me what and how i should live my voluntary life on the field...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:33 am 

I hope and pray that something redemptive will come from this tragic chapter. Humility, repentance and a massive ethos change for NMT and healing for victims and their families. May NTM leadership be seen to be seeking to change from their often legalistic, non-grace filled culture because an increasing number, are now turning heads in disdain towards NTM...from around the world

let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.