Guestbook

September 19th, 2009 Leave a comment Go to comments

Welcome to my WP Wall Guestbook!

1. Carolyn
    November 14th, 2011 at 14:39 | #1

I sit here crying as I read the stories and heartache that has come out of Fanda. I want you all to know I am heartbroken. I was at Fanda in 86 on the short term summer program, and I have ofton tho’t about all of you whom I met during that time. Please know that I salute you for being open and beginning to talk about your experiences. The road to healing will most likely be a long one, but you can do it! And for those of you who are brave enough to share your stories…. keep going! I ache for you all….
    Carolyn

2. Ian
    June 3rd, 2011 at 07:36 | #2

I found Scot Ross to be very helpful and he did not leave a stone unturned. He asked for names and offered the children(now adults)an apology and restitution.

3. klglovka
    December 29th, 2010 at 12:00 | #3

All of my encounters with NT members in both Mexico and Colombia (where I was a short-term/long-term missionary) made me very wary of their organization. They seemed almost cult-like in their submission to mission authority, even when common sense would have dictated otherwise. Example–the group I met in Mexico was trying to learn Spanish, but they spent so much time with each other doing various “pre-tribe” tasks, there was never any time to study. They somehow supposed to “absorb” the language through interaction with the locals, but there was no structure to it. They kept wondering how the 24-year old recent college grad (me) could do all the translating for our group. After the NT group leader said I could “never” have learned to “talk that way” without studying abroad, I looked him square in the eye and said that I had a BA, and that I spent 20+ hours a week relating with Latinos in California. No one from the group was willing to suggest that they change the method of operation because that would have been “rebellion” against the Field Committee.

NT missionaries that I met in Colombia were required to send their children to the boarding school, even if a family could successfully home school, or they could send their children to local, private schools (easily accessible for people who had been forced into large cites due to the political situation). Again, no one would have thought to even question the mission policy.

I think it’s sad that an organization with such a tremendous spiritual legacy (I have met many fine NT people) would refuse to repent, deal with its past sin, and go on in grace to do what it has been able to do best for so many years.

4. Agast
    November 1st, 2010 at 14:23 | #4

Rachel Mullens :

Here I take my stand: I am not on a mission of revenge. Whether NTM stands or falls is in God’s hands. I am here to support the abused in their fight for change, justice and above all healing. If these are the things you (not pointing at anyone specifically) are supporting then I will back you 100%. If all you (and again not pointing to anyone specific) want is to seek revenge at all cost–to see NTM topple; then I am not here to support your cause. Healing does not come out of revenge.
    Thank you Rachel. I second that.

5. Rachel Mullens
    October 31st, 2010 at 19:30 | #5

@Beverly Shellrude Thompson
    Scott Ross taught some classes at the school and I don’t really remember what exactly she did. I just remember them as very caring and genuine people and the kids just loved them. They have big hearts full of love and we, MKs, sure enjoyed them. I still keep in contact with them and consider Scott to be my biggest advocate and supporter.

6. October 31st, 2010 at 12:09 | #6

Hi Rachel, You said that Scott Ross and his wife were a part of the PNG Boarding School. What role did they have there?

Beverly

7. Agast
    October 30th, 2010 at 20:21 | #7

There is another PNG MK website but it’s not the same one. http://www.graduates.com/ForumTopics.aspx?si=180341

8. Rachel Mullens
    October 30th, 2010 at 19:50 | #8

Yes, the website that I referred to is not up and running anymore. I apologize. I am not on this site to tell anyone what they should or shouldn’t do, nor am I here to tell anyone who they should or shouldn’t trust. I am here to share my story and pray that God uses me as a beacon of lite in the lives of those He so choses. Its a long process to get to the point of forgiveness and start anew. I know…been there done that. Doesn’t mean it goes away–the saddness will always remain to some degree and in my experience grief is cyclical. It just gets easier everytime it comes around if we are willing to take the road to recovery.

9. Agast
    October 30th, 2010 at 15:37 | #9

Regarding the PNG MK website Rachel referred to: it’s been down for quite awhile. The person running it said it would take a couple hundred $ to get it up and running again.

10. Agast
    October 30th, 2010 at 15:26 | #10

Rachel, can you check the forums section, and post on the PNG abuse page. I think it would be helpful to others to hear from you. I took the liberty of copying your post to that page. I knew about that PNG website – I don’t think it’s working anymore?

11. Broken
    October 30th, 2010 at 10:20 | #11

Rachel..so glad to see you posting on here. It’s time that it’s realized the evil that happened in the PNG dorms!

12. highlander
    October 29th, 2010 at 22:54 | #12

Rachel, is the site you mentioned still open? Will you share the address?

13. student
    October 29th, 2010 at 20:54 | #13

That is very encouraging, thank you! if it is alright, could you let us know the name of the site? if it is a PNG only site that is fine though…

14. Rachel Mullens
    October 27th, 2010 at 18:31 | #14

Hey, I am an MK from the NTM PNG field…spent 18 yrs there. I was sexually abused by an elder in the tribe where we lived long before I went to boarding school. While at boarding school I was sexually, emotionally, spiritually and physically abused. About 4 yrs ago some PNG MKs started a website where we could keep intouch with each other. It was on this website that I with great intrepidation posted my first abuse story. This led to many other MKs posting their stories. Then one day we saw a post asking us to share our stories with leadership. The post came from Scott Ross (of course most of us trusted him as he and his wife were part of the boarding school in PNG and we knew what kind of guy he was). This made it easy for a lot of us to share our stories. A group meeting was planned where we could talk directly to leadership face to face. I live in Canada and NTM paid for my trip to Missouri as well as my mom’s trip (she was my support). There was 5 MKs I think at that meeting along with Scott, Bing and Lolly Hare, and 2 executive. We shared our stories and talked about what should be done. When I left I felt very much at peace — not because all was solved and everything was ok — Not at all –but because I felt like I had been heard, truely heard, and I had been able to give my opinion on what should happen. Yes, NTM has hundreds of cases of child abuse that has occurred on mission fields around the world and yes it is easy to mistrust anyone from NTM. But please believe me…there are NTM members who truely greive for us and who care for us deeply. I am not here to tell anyone what to do or not to do. I am simply telling you a small part of my story and sharing with you my experience with NTM. Each one of us must deal with our own situations as well as we can and each one of us has the right to say what we think. A fellow abused Mk once said “If we can endure the abuse then the Christian community can endure the aftermath and hearing about it”. So talk — talk it out — only in talking about it can healing begin!

15. Retta
    October 13th, 2010 at 09:37 | #15

@Anonymous
    I went to Dalat…

16. Victoria Frayne
    September 25th, 2010 at 10:32 | #16

@John Adams

It would be wrong for any of us to observe from afar and declare that boarding schools are evil and that parents are always wrong to make use of them. To do so is to ignore the hundreds of factors each parent must consider when determining what is best for their child. I’m very glad that these days NTM allows more freedom for the parents to make that decision, but I won’t sit in judgment of any parent’s choice when I don’t know all the facts.

I’m glad Im not the only one that thinks this way. Thanks for posting.

17. Older Sister
    September 25th, 2010 at 07:53 | #17

@student

I’m glad you are at peace with your decision. A mission that has been in existence for 68 yrs, and during, at least the first 56 yrs either sexually, physically, emotionally and spiritually abused innocent children, and leadership covered it up—is DEFINITELY not to be trusted!
    It’s good that they have begun to take steps to bring some sort of justice, but, don’t ever forget, that this EB would not have done anything had the MK’s not put the pressure on.

18. student
    September 24th, 2010 at 22:45 | #18

just to let the people that have been supportive to me on this wall know, i did end up “stepping out” from NTBI. After two weeks of prayerful consideration and counsel, i knew what i needed to do. thanks for the support. And i will be staying informed of events and involved.

19. Denise Amstutz K.
    September 23rd, 2010 at 20:25 | #19

@John Adams
    I agree with your comments. Every situation has its own issues. I too was sent to Fanda for a trial week and my parents were told that I was not ready, so I went back home. We had a horrible time trying to “fit in” in the states because we were raised so differently from other kids. Majorly picked on by kids in a “christian school” in middle school and then my 9th grade year of high school I was severely sexually harassed by a guy in my math class. I was flunking that class, but the teacher never noticed anything. Then we went to Cuiaba, Brazil where Mks were sent to class, went home for lunch, and then back to school. There was a man there that liked to “touch” girls, but because of my run in with the guy in the US I really didn’t trust guys and this man sent all kinds of warning vibes through me. I made it a point to stand against his dominating requests. What made it easier to stay away from him was that we all lived with our parents in separate houses, so we were not trapped anywhere. We left that field and came back to the US and then received letters about this mans abuse of kids. I was terrified of going back to public school, but instead of the nightmare I had left, the guy was gone and in his place were teachers I could confide in, kids that were kind, and guys that became some of my closest friends ever. They taught me how to trust again. So yeah, good and bad everywhere, just have to know how to notice it and you have to do something about it immediately if something is wrong. I am glad that you both had good experiences.

20. Tuti Hess
    September 23rd, 2010 at 15:14 | #20

@pro-ntbi
    Hi student, Very happy to read that you are having a positive experience in NTM. Until NTM properly deals with this crime it will taint everything that is done within NTM past, present and future. God is not pleased when His children ignore sin and do business as usual. This thing is not going to go away quietly or easily it will be ongoing for years. We need to do all we can, going that extra mile to make up for the sins and crimes of the past. The training, leadership and policies are better today but more still needs to be done, there’s lots of room for improvement. Thanx for writing on the blog. I wish u all the best in your studies, may God be magnified in your life.

21. John Adams
    September 23rd, 2010 at 13:30 | #21

@shadowspring
    I would have to disagree with your impression that all boarding school children were abused. I attended Fanda and, by God’s grace, was never abused. My fiance attended a mission school in S. America and was never abused and many of my friends are MKs who didn’t suffer abuse. At the same time, I could give you dozens of names of people who were abused in public schools or at home.

None of this excuses the horrible situation that so many faced at Fanda. The difference is the individuals placed in charge. I was blessed with kind, caring dorm parents and with wonderful support from my parents. I thrived in dorm life and have many happy memories. My younger brother did not do well his first year, so my parents brought him home for another year.

Personally, I experienced abuse at a public school in the US after we returned. Because of this, it would be hard for me to send my child to public school, but I know many loving parents do so and I won’t judge them for that decision either.

22. Beverly Shellrude Thompson
    September 23rd, 2010 at 12:19 | #22

Hi,

On the MKSafetyNet website (www.mksafetynet.net) we have a section of poetry. We would love to add your poem. If you are alright with this, please e-mail me at beverly.shellrude.thompson@cogeco.ca with an attachment that has your poem, and how you want to identify yourself (e.g. anonomously, with some identifiers, etc.)

23. shadowspring
    September 23rd, 2010 at 09:27 | #23

This is meant for “Parent of an unabused MK”. Though my husband would have claimed for years he was an unabused MK, that is merely because it was drilled into him over and over that his abandonment to boarding school was “God’s will”, his parents had “no choice”, and don’t forget how “fun” boarding school is, “like camp”! Lies, lies, all lies. The depression he sank into once he saw our own innocent precious son at the age my husband was abandoned to overworked,unknown to him religious zealots by religious zealots who claimed to love God, the natives and the child they sent away- well, let’s just say I don’t believe any boarding school kid was ever “not abused”.

24. pro-ntbi
    September 22nd, 2010 at 17:31 | #24

@student

I am so sorry to hear of your experience and glad to hear you have found healing and freedom in Christ. I am also glad you are studying at NTBI. Most of the staff I know are very loving, gracious and desirous of walking with God in truth. They are trustworthy and want nothing to do with anything like what has happened. They will point you to a life of faith and grace. Please, don’t give up on NTBI/NTM due to the actions of a few. There are too many lives at stake that the Lord will touch through you.

25. Marty (Faircloth) Conklin
    September 21st, 2010 at 22:55 | #25

I am outraged and thouroughly disgusted at NTM’s inaction over the years in knowing about and sweeping this tragedy under the rug, preserving their facade of “spirituality”. We knew countless NTM missionaries in training and after they went to the field. We saw them send their tiny children off to be raised by others in these schools…I was outraged at the time, wondering how abdicating your parenthood was glorifying to God. I am a missionary child myself, was born and raised till college age on the mission field. My husband and I were also missionaries with 2 young daughters. NEVER in a million years would my parents have sent us off to boarding school….so glad they didn’t. I had the same determination with our daughters. I went to college with quite a few MK’s who were products of the boarding schools of remote missions. Almost all of them were a little “different”. Now I wonder if some of them were also the hapless victims of secret abuse by their “protectors”….DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!! It has been horribly disgusting, although not entirely surprising to watch the unraveling of the Roman Catholic clergy’s hidden abuse scandals from over many decades….never thought something of this magnitude was boiling right in front of our faces!!!!!

26. keijo
    September 20th, 2010 at 01:22 | #26

God will be with us in our fight against sin and our enemies and we will win in Jesus blood and in care of the lord time after time in joy and thnaksgiving andpleasure of wisdom and miracles daily ,thanks and bless and pray,keijo sweden

27. Denise Amstutz K.
    September 19th, 2010 at 11:01 | #27

@Denise Amstutz K.
    Having said all of that I do believe that if you were to go before him now you would see, I hope, a brokenhearted man who is very remorseful over the role he played in all of this. I say hopefully because I have not seen it yet. We moved out of FL just before I got contacted for the investigation (thank you Bonnie, or I would have been overlooked again given my age) I know that some of these men have written their supporters and told them that they have heavy hearts over things that have happened in NTM, but we, the victims, have recieved no letters, no emails, from any of these men. The glossed over letter of (bad things that happened) does not cut it in my book either. I would like each of them to personaly express their own remorse in this, not just a blanket statement from NTM. I would like to truely hear there heart on this issue and I would like to see them actually write out sexual abuse, emotional abuse, physical abuse, spiritual abuse, cover up, in their letters so that I can know that they grasp the full extent of the pain they helped put us through. I don’t want a letter from the actual predators, there place is in jail, but the ones who covered it up and are simply “fired” I would like letters from. Because of their coverup my children were suffering, I could not let them play any innocent childhood game that required skin to skin contact because I did not know what innocent games were and what innaproriate games were. I still don’t, but at least I don’t freak out anymore just because they bump bellies. The MK fund was set up so that we could get counseling and so that our children could if need be, thanks to Kari and Bonnie and the rest of the Fandaeagles for hounding NTM until they uncovered all of this, maybe my children have escaped unharmed and I can right everything that I was teaching them before it is too late. Oh, back to my point, I hope that you would find a very repentant man if you visited Mr Wyma, but since we have not heard from anyone I do not know for sure.

28. very concerned
    September 18th, 2010 at 19:28 | #28

Very well said. Not only might the person have changed since they made the destructive and harmful dicissions but they probably don’t even remember pushing the children aside with their action. The man forgot, the child forever injuried. I have known Mel for a very long time but I have witnessed the attitude shared in the GRACE report. @Denise Amstutz K.

29. September 18th, 2010 at 02:28 | #29

MickeyandKarl McCloskey :
    We were sorry to read about this issue i World magazine. These were people misusing their authority and not the New Tribes Mission. They should be dealt with according to the law. we have met many wonderful New Tribes Missionaries and some not so wonderful, we do have a free will to choose and some choose wrong.

There are legitimate differences of opinion on this.

Join the discussion on the forums! http://fandaeagles.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=348

30. MickeyandKarl McCloskey
    September 17th, 2010 at 15:40 | #30

31. student
    September 12th, 2010 at 14:37 | #31

Interesting, i was told by Ron Lindsey that paul was retired… i’ll have to clarify with him…

32. Older Sister
    September 12th, 2010 at 07:20 | #32

@student

NTM USA Executive Board
    Larry Brown, Dan Kreider, Paul Wyma,

Marv Ketcham, Mike Sullivan, Ron Lindsey

This is from the Implementing Recommendations page, so it looks like Paul Wyma is an active Board member.

33. September 11th, 2010 at 13:32 | #33

@student

Student, I admire your tenacity and diligence. I was making the point to those who were questioning this that solely because he is Mel’s son does not make him suspect. The points you raise are valid.

34. student
    September 11th, 2010 at 00:16 | #34

Also, and Kari, I would definitely like your clarification in this, if i have gotten any of this information mixed up, please do clarify for me, as I have spent the last week cramming my head with everything that i could find on this, so i do realize that the possibility of me getting something mixed up is there…

35. student
    September 11th, 2010 at 00:11 | #35

I’m sorry, i am not trying to say that Paul Wyma was Directly involved with the coverup… there is no documentation saying that, and of that i am sure… what does concern me was that there is documentation regarding certain things he was asked to keep under wraps, in the guise of “this has been dealt with already, keep a lid on it.” he in no way tried to hide the things he found, to my knowledge, although he found very little, thanks to the field committee, but that he did not question why they wanted him to not ask about the female perpetrator (regarding the statutory rape of the 16 y/o) concerns me… on the flip side, i do understand that the note that he wrote to himself “keep a lid on it” was viewed out of context and was not nearly as ominous or “watergate-ish” as it sounds. I in no way am associating him directly with his father, although it would be unwise to not at least ask what types of influence Mel could have had on him, as even now i am hearing about the children of these men defending their actions for them.

36. September 10th, 2010 at 20:10 | #36

@Parent of unabused MK
    Hi Parent,

Please re-read the media piece. It is not written by me, I was one of those interviewed for it. You will also notice as you re-read it that I make no reference to a suicide and never allude to your son at all. The broken arm (hairline fracture) happened, and I’m amazed more did not, as we were jerked from our beds very often for punishment. And I would hesitate to call yourself the parent of an unabused MK, as your son is heartbreakingly not here to speak for himself.
    I am full of heartache for you and your family in this time of grief and pain.

37. September 10th, 2010 at 20:06 | #37

I agree that we absolutely cannot declare anyone guilty because of the sins of their fathers.

38. Denise Amstutz K.
    September 10th, 2010 at 19:23 | #38

Wait, Maybe I should re-read the report, because I didn’t see where Paul Wyma was under any fault. He and his wife Faith were sent to the field to investigate the abuse, but the report specificaly says that they were not given the information that they needed. They were not trained in investigating abuse cases and were not told by the EC vital imformation on what was already reported. For that reason they were found without fault in the report. Why are you concerned about his influence? Because of the sins of his father?

39. NotSureIUnderstand
    September 10th, 2010 at 18:38 | #39

I am not understanding what the big concern with Paul Wyma is–It was Mel Wyman who was implicated in the report, not Paul–What am I missing?

40. very concerned
    September 10th, 2010 at 17:16 | #40

Student is right. Paul Wyma is very active with the EC. He was part of the Fanda “find information” group. He has lived in Lake Mary/Sanford till the last 2 years when they moved to Camdenton, I believe. I just received a letter from them last week (after GRACE’s meetings) and they were packing and heading to Sanford. A key family in NTM and EC

41. Parent of unabused MK
    September 10th, 2010 at 16:18 | #41

How dare you! I read in one media report by Kari that there was a suicide–possibly Fanda related. How dare you spread gossip and inuendos. You have no idea what caused the death and rather than question or investigate you make unfounded allegations. You guys have just gone too far to try to make things look as horrible as possible. The abuse that took place was horrible and unforgivable and much of the leadership response was careless and unhelpful. But don’t allude to broken arms and suicides that you can’t document to make things look worse. Many of you know how very much I love you and you have hurt me horribly. I think an apology is in order.

42. Older Sister
    September 10th, 2010 at 16:14 | #42

@student
    Don’t forget that Paul Wyma is Mel Wyma’s son. I would be concerned, too.

43. student
    September 10th, 2010 at 14:17 | #43

I appreciate all the feedback! i have been actually talking to Ron Lindsay (the president of Waukesha and on the EB), and have a lot of mixed feelings about it. he states that the mission needs and is willing to be completely transparent, and i trust his motives. however, what i have seen so far, from him, the christianity today articles, the Florida sentinel, and tv spots, is that there is an attitude of “lets deal with this one subject transparently, and move on.” as someone who can identify with and understand the issues that are being dealt with (both emotionally, but logistically as well, i am very aware of the legalities of these issues, and ways to deal with them.), it is disappointing, and does not create an atmosphere of safety and trust here for me. I have been going to the Lord about this extensively, and am still very conflicted about it, to the point of not being able to sleep. so i guess i would just ask that we all be praying for this current administration, that they be wise and honest, and that i make a Godly decision. one thing that really concerns me right now, btw, is that Paul Wyma, while retired, is still influential within the EB…

44. Older Sister
    September 10th, 2010 at 11:56 | #44

Can anyone name for me the current EB members?

45. Another Waukesha Grad
    September 10th, 2010 at 11:14 | #45

@student – I *hope* that you and I will both see that NTM has changed over the years. Much time has passed, and the organization is indeed culpable… but the corollary is that many of the people in the organization have changed, and many of the fields as well. (Not all has been made right though, as I’ve learned during my time here).

I for one am watching closely to see how the organization as a whole responds to this issue, both publicly and privately. If they fail to pursue the full truth, make what restitution is possible, and ensure to the best of their ability that this will not happen again… my family and I will no longer associate ourselves with NTM.

If, on the other hand, we do see true repentance continue to be evident in the leadership of the mission, and see practical change effected on the fields of NTM… we will rejoice to be part of a group that has finally learned what it means to hate its own sin – and to refuse to tolerate it. Sin is a part of this world, and I do not expect perfection from NTM in the future. What I do expect is that they will actually deal with sin from now on in the light – quickly, and in accordance with God’s Word. That is what I demand of them, and will not accept less.

I have a lot of hope because of what I’ve seen within NTM recently. I pray that hope will be rewarded.

46. Older Sister
    September 10th, 2010 at 09:17 | #46

@Waukesha Grad
    Unfortunately, it was the organization of NTM that acted corruptly, the Executive committe, Field committee, staff and dorm parents. The field committe, staff and dorm parents were chosen by NTM as an organization to be in the positions they were in. NTM’s basic beliefs, their whole philosophy, was one of fear, unquestioning obedience to leadership,and the absolute authority of the top “brass.” The ORGANIZATION has, indeed, acted corruptly.

47. September 10th, 2010 at 02:51 | #47

@Waukesha Grad
    Actually, the present leadership of NTM has said that the organization has sinned. And, as you point out (and I did not know), the current president of the Waukesha school is an Executive Board member. I do not know whether or not all the leaders/ teachers at NTBI agree with the statement from the EB or not. However, being in an organization is, generally speaking, a tacit agreement with their positions on various issues. I would think that would certainly apply to an issue as important as this.

See: http://fandaeagles.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=348

48. Waukesha Grad
    September 9th, 2010 at 19:19 | #48

@Student

I agree with Older Sister that you need to go before the Lord and decide for yourself on this issue–

Consider this though–You state that you “are currently re-evaluating whether or not i want to learn about my God from an organization that is willing to act so corruptly.” Who acted corruptly? It wasnt the organization of “NTM” or “NTBI”–It was specific people in that organization. The current leadership has made it very clear that they will not stand for such corruption & negligence–indeed, the current president of Waukesha is an executive board member, and you heard from himself that he will not stand for it.

With that in mind, are you learning about your God from specific teachers that will not stand for what former NTM leadership did, or will you be learning about your God from people who are corrupt because some people in leadership before them were corrupt?

Does that make any kind of sense?

49. Older Sister
    September 9th, 2010 at 18:33 | #49

Dear student—what happened is unspeakable and you have every right to question if you should continue attending NTBI, especially considering you were also a victim of sexual abuse. If you are in any doubt and just not comfortable, it would only cause more problems in your future to continue with NTBI. There are many good Bible schools that you may want to look into. Do not give in to pressure from the school’s leadership or others, just do what you feel God is directing you to do. God bless you!

50. student
    September 9th, 2010 at 04:27 | #50

I am currently a student at NTBI Waukesha, and was shocked and appalled to hear about all of this in chapel last week. I remembered vaguely hearing about this from an NTM MK friend last year, so i came here for some truth, and then had to go to the president of the school for some answers. the answer appalled me. I am a former victim of sexual abuse, and have been freed from it by God, but this shakes any trust that i had in NTM, and am currently re-evaluating whether or not i want to learn about my God from an organization that is willing to act so corruptly.