Statement from NTM

Hello Kari, Bonnie (and all):

We read your recently posted blog with great sadness.  We want to apologize again for the hurts you have experienced and to let you know that we at NTM are committed to constructive dialogue, further preventative actions, and God-honoring organizational change.  In response to your question, here are some of the actions that NTM is committed to taking.  This is not to say that these actions are all that NTM is willing to do, as we are eager to prayerfully consider any ideas presented to us.

First, NTM is committed to a posture of transparency. This is reflected by (among other things) all of the documents we have provided to you – regardless of whether the documents were positive or negative – in response to requests from you or your family members.  (As you know, you posted a number of those documents on your blog.)  One of our primary goals is to help clarify any confusion.

Second, consistent with our desire for transparency, we would support appointing an independent, unbiased, outside individual or group to conduct a review of the abuse allegations and NTM’s leadership style in the 1980’s and 1990’s at the Fanda School.  With so much history, then substantial silence, fragmenting relationships and mistrust, we would be open to appropriate independent review. Obviously both the former MK’s and NTM would have to have confidence in the person or group doing the review.

Third, to be successful, such independent review would require the availability of both NTM personnel and former MK’s.  We understand that this could very well result in NTM paying the reasonable costs of those telling their stories to fly to a location and/or stay in a motel, just as we have done in previous cases including in Tallahassee and Edmonton.  NTM would continue the process of paying those expenses.

Fourth, NTM is committed to pursuing an investigation of any new allegations or further investigating existing allegations and applying its policies and administrative outcomes to those individuals who have violated NTM policies.

Fifth, as discussed with you at our earlier meeting, NTM’s normal process is to assist financially with counseling for victims, offenders, and appropriate family members of those involved.  We will continue to offer that kind of assistance to those who need counseling.

Sixth, we remain strongly committed to preventing future abuse.  Toward that end, we see value in increased networking with supporting churches, other missions, and counselors for the purpose of raising awareness of experiences within NTM, and in continued learning to reinforce prevention. The more we can heighten the awareness of abuse in the missions context and in local churches, the better additional protections can be implemented to decrease the risk of future abuse.  When developing the 2003 Abuse Prevention DVD series, we disclosed the number of cases of which we were aware with the hope of increasing awareness.  We are committed to continued transparency with supporting churches. This Abuse Prevention DVD series is available to any church or organization wanting it; it has been widely disseminated in recent years and is being used by missions and churches across the country.

Seventh, we continue to support the concept of sponsoring a retreat where former MKs can come together with current NTM leadership to share their experiences and to meet with counselors if requested.  We believe that we have a lot to learn from you.  Ideally, an independent group, mutually agreeable to the former MKs and to NTM, would lead such a retreat.

Thank you for your willingness to work through this process with us. Our heart’s desire is to continue to learn from the past, to help heal the hurts that you and others have experienced, and to make NTM the most God-honoring and caring mission organization that it can be. Please continue to share with us your thoughts about how we may do that more effectively.

Sincerely,

NTM US Executive Board & Child Protection Committee

This entry was posted in Stories. Bookmark the permalink.

66 Responses to Statement from NTM

1. John and Diane Mikitson says:

Oh my goodness – my heart breaks for your loss, Jill. I am not sure we ever met but I am so sorry for your loss.

Diane

2. John and Diane Mikitson says:

John and I are in the process of writing something for this blog. Oh, parents, how we know the confusion, the fear, the pain, the blind trust, the guilt, the trauma, the death of hope. Don’t think that because we fought for our girls and left the field that we did something to fix everything.

We sent them to Fanda; we wanted them to fit in; we ecouraged them to “be like everyone else”, we were not there for them. We were their god-given protectors and we did not protect. We were complicit!

There is HOPE for us all. the final chapters are not written on our roles as parents. The final chapters are not written on the slate of our children’s lives.

We still work through issues on a regular basis. We are wounded warriors for truth and righteousness. YOU PARENTS are called to this too. Let’s partner for our adult children NOW.

More is coming soon from us.

With love and heartfelt pain for you all
    John and Diane Mikitson

3. Bonnie says:

Dear, sweet Jill,

I remember Krista well. I was heartbroken to hear of her long fight with cancer, and even more heartbroken to know that she passed on.

Not only will we not give up for those who are still suffering, but we will fight even harder for those who will never have the chance to see justice.

I am so sorry for what you, as Krista’s mom, have gone through, and what you are still going through. I hope, with all of my heart, that you will find healing.

Love,
    Bonnie

4. Vicky Frayne says:

I am fighting for you too KRISTA! My dear friend. We WILL see justice done.

5. Jill Rowe says:

I am completely shocked. My daughter (Krista) was abused while attending the Fonda school. Because of many other reasons our family came home from the field in the late 80’s. It came to light shortly after we were home and in Durham that this happened to Krista. Her quik change in personality and behaviour were the first sign that something was wrong. Of course in those years we didn’t know much about this kind of thing. We went to the committee in charge and sadly left them to deal with it. I was left with the impression that there was one other known instance of abuse. Dave admitted to these two girls and no others. It makes me sick to find out there were others and it was not delt with properly. We were blinded and too week to fight the leadership and go for outside help. Krista continued on a down slide and for the remainder of her life she never saw justice for what was done to her. Don’t give up, fight for those who are still suffering and for the parents who are in great distress and guilt for putting their children in this situation.

6. Gene Long says:

John Adams said:
    Responding to Tim’s comment above, I think in light of I Cor. 6:1-10, I would consider arbitration very carefully rather than a lawsuit. And as to the charge of bearing no fruit–perhaps you wrote emotionally, but NTM has translated the New Testament into 40-something new languages, with over 100 in progress; has seen thousands of new believers, thousands of lives changed (including mine); and has brought medicine, food, literacy, etc to hundreds of people groups. I don’t think most of those commenting here would like to see that “cut down and fed to the fire.”

[ [ [ [ [ [ ] ] ] ] ] ]

John, I Corinthians 6.1-10 is not talking about corporations. NTM is not your brother in the Lord. It is an organization. The fact that it is organized to do Christian, charitable work does not make it a Christian. Organizations cannot believe, cannot be saved, cannot pray.

It’s corporate actions with respect to these girls (and how many more kids around the world?), how they have treated their own adult missionaries and how they have deceived those who support them would only serve to make it a reprobate, if we seek to apply biblical terminology.

NTM has done nothing. Missionaries have done a lot, but most of those missionaries would continue doing what they are doing whether there was an NTM or not. NTM hides behind the good people in it, using them as a foil to deflect criticism.

These dear people will not need arbitration. Their case will never go to trial. NTM will settle and be glad to get it done with. It’s just that they always drag things out in an attempt to wear the people they have offended down.

7. Greg Burke says:

(If anyone is interested in a class action law suit please feel free to talk to myself and my parents Randy and Cathy Burke, we are most likely going to start one if they do not get their act together shortly) 1 780 758 369

8. Greg Burke says:

ya. I just have a very hard time with people who harm others and go out of their way to try to get away with it. Also people who are so out of touch with the real world because of religion and their own personal problems/beliefs. NTM is such an example of manufactured evil, its disqusting. I am contacting the RCMP who have an interpol unit that specialises in things such as this tomorrow, which is just one thing I am doing to make this joke of an organization realise how messed up their little world is.

9. Naomi Cleaves (Quilliam) says:

and while we are on the subject of how Fanda has affected us…Most of my nightmares consist of campus communities where everyone is stuck or imprisoned within a fence. They are usually set up like Fanda was.

10. Naomi Cleaves (Quilliam) says:

Greg, I can completely relate to what you are saying. For a lot of years I believed in God and Jesus but I didn’t call myself a Christian because I didn’t want to be one of those hypocrites and be responsible for ruining Gods name with my human mistakes. I thought that every Christian was some sort of hypocrite.

11. Greg Burke says:

I appreciate the support from everyone regarding mine and everyones situation. I have pushed everything to the side for far too long and I need to have restitution. NTM is completely responsible for what happened to myself overseas with Bill P. and I cannot wait untill something comes out of this. Because of NTM I absolutely DESPISE anybody who calls themselves a christian.

12. anonymous says:

I am a
    Christian social worker with many yrs of experience in child welfare cases. Why is there even such thing as an “investigation” by the cpc? This is a crime the only people who should investigate is the law.It doesn’t matter who went for what counseling or etc. It is a crime, and NTM is liable under new US laws about abuse a
    broad.

13. Joel C. says:

Very well put R. Kamara, I don’t think it could be summed up any better.

14. Laura Stirling says:

wow – i can’t believe ntm is recommending abuse victims to contact a non-licensed therapist. expected, due to past evidence of ineptness, but still shocking.

15. Kari says:

She is not licensed.

16. Bonnie says:

What I am confused about is this. If this woman has been with the CPC for a year, why wasn’t it she who was comunicating with the victims who have contacted the CPC?
    Also, I feel like these victims are not going to feel the least bit comfortable speaking with her, simply because she is a part of NTM.
    I feel like I am being thrown a bone, and expected to knaw at it because I am starving for something. What I am starving for is NTM to stand up and make right all the wrongs that they have been a part of. To shout to the world that they will not allow abusers to hide in their mission. I for one, will not be contacting this “therapist”.

17. Shocked says:

I am starting to think NTM is completely out of their minds insane. They think after all of this non-communication and ineffectiveness that the victims would want to speak with someone who is with NTM? Someone who doesn’t even have a license yet?

This is turning into a joke. When are they going to take this seriously? When the press picks it up and they get a lot of negative publicity perhaps.

18. anonymous says:

Is this person licensed? Does this person have experience working with abuse? Is this person New Tribes personnel? Experience and credentials are of utmost importance. Good hearts and caring are not enough.

19. Bonnie says:

The CPC has provided this information to me.
    They have given me contact info for a certified (working on getting her licensure) therapist who has been with the CPC for about one year.
    Her name is Melanie Salaverria, and her phone number is 570-689-0701
    She is willing to speak with any of the victims from Fanda, if they wish to contact her.

20. r kamara says:

Just to clarify a few things….
    1) The “lack of fruit” comment was referring specifically to the anemic quantity of established native churches by ntm on the Senegal field over the space of 30+ years. Isn’t that ntm’s goal? To preach, teach and church plant? Once again, excuses are being made for ineptitude, lousy performance, and abuse – (which can all be traced back to the leadership in senegal). I wonder what the local u.s. churches would have to say about that? (seeing that their hard earned $ was being sent to support this ?) This is not my opinion – but obvious fact known not only by myself but to many, many others who were there.
    2) I suppose that just because ‘God is holding people accountable for their actions’ and that ‘ God doesn’t promise us justice here on earth’ we can safetly close all the courts in our land, let bygones be bygones whilst criminal acts go unpunished and we can all frolic in a pseudo-hippie-jesusfreak trance of spiritual verbage and “forgiveness”. How silly of me (and others) to actually demand justice and accountability……
    3) The phrase ‘God’s will’ is a huge part of the problem with this whole mess. Authority claiming to be the only ones who know it, so if you disobey them you are disobeying God . How quaint for an individual missionary to think that he/she is being ‘led’ in a different direction from what the leadership has already dictated. In the political world it’s called a dictatorship. In the cult world it’s called Jonestown. In an historical setting it’s called the middle ages. (seperation of church and state anyone?)
    4) God has not given us the spirit of fear and ignorance – but of boldness, power and a sound/discerning mind. If the leaders of ntm senegal (and even the leaders of those leaders) had remembered this fact from the beginning of this debacle, much hurt and grief would have been nipped in the bud- cut out like a cancer before it would do much harm. This is not a time to fluff over and make excuses for the lack of action from a monolithic organization still dragging their feet.
    In the words of a certain mr. macintosh…”I don’t want no peace – I need equal rights and justice.”

21. I just found your site today and was compelled to respond to this story. The first church that I pastored in upstate NY, supported missionaies with ntm. There was someone from the mission who would come to our church every year to give us an update on the mission. We had him in our home and we were talking about boarding schools. He insisted that they were needed and he scoffed at the idea of parents home schooling their children. He said that if the missionaries want to home school their children he would tell them to stay home.

As to the person above who mentions all the “good” that the mission has done, it reminds me of the day I confronted my father-in-law (who was a pastor) with the fact the he had raped and molested my wife from the time she was 9 untill almost 18 years old, all my mother-in-law could say was that life wasn’t all that bad and went on to tell all the “good” things that dad had done. Maybe these people should go talk to Achan whose sin brought judgement upon the whole house of Israel or others in the Bible like Ananias and Sapphira whose sin was dealt with by the church leadership and cost them their lives. also the man in the Corinthian church in I Corinthians 5 who Paul informed the church to turn over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh. This sin is prevelent throughout the church as well as outside the church. How can we possibly expect God’s blessing regardless of how sincere our efforts to try to carry out the great commission, when we refuse to deal with this sin seriously. Every offender must be prosecuted by the law Romans 13 and the church needs to deal with it biblically as well. Truly repentant offenders must accept the consequences of their sin, but can be restored to a right relationship with God. Unrepentant offenders are to be shunned and put out of the body. All the good in the world that we attempt to do for the Lord does not make up for this grievious sin. Anytime church leadership appears to be defensive in dealing with this it only further violates the victims/survivors and hurts the cause of Christ. If leadership is unwilling to seriously, aggressively and biblically deal with this sin maybe we need a complete change in leadership within the body of Christ.

22. Vicky Frayne says:

I totally disagree with saying that missionaries with children shouldn’t be following what “their God” puts in their hearts to do. The parents didn’t do us wrong, the sick men and possibly women who did us wrong are the ones to blame. My parents went to the field to do what God wanted them to do. Whether or not they had children, isn’t for anyone to say it’s right or wrong. They were only following what your God put in their hearts.

The problem isn’t the parents with children, its the people who weren’t fit for the task of watching God’s dear children.

23. Aubrey says:

What I don’t understand is if time is of the utmost importance and the “fields are white for harvest” why were the children on the Senegalese mission field abused physically/sexually/emotionally/spiritually and ignored to the point of no longer wanting anything to do with New Tribes Mission as a whole (or any other mission for that matter.) and an even greater tragedy for some in not wanting to have anything to do with God. Missionary kids have spent years in language and culture acquisition by way of just growing up in the country, where any new missionary coming in it takes years to get to a point where they can even begin to start translating and teaching while they helplessly watch on as many die and go into a Christless eternity.

Why was the great potential for 2nd generation missionaries treated with such disregard and waste. The Senegalese mission field is waning (has been for a while) and in part I believe it is a lack of returning 2nd generation missionaries, and a lack of trust in the leadership there.

24. Naomi Cleaves (Quilliam) says:

Thanks Jody, I am so glad to hear that things have changed somewhat. However, I believe that simply the fact that children are still going to boarding school is proof that things are still not right. I refuse to put my children in childcare because I dont want someone who couldnt posibly love my kids as much as I do raising them. God gave ME my kids for ME to raise to the best of MY ability. My children are my mission form God. I am ALL FOR missions and missionaries but I don’t believe that families with children should be missionaries. We only have our children for such a short time! Can’t missionaries do there mission work before they have kids and after the kids are indipendant of them? Did the deciples in the bible have children?

25. Jody Baum (Abram) says:

I attended Fanda for most of my school years and am deeply sorry and troubled to hear of so many that were hurt and abused there. I pray for you all that you can find healing by God’s grace.
    I still work with NTM and wanted to say that I have seen a dramatic change in how schooling is done today. I worked at our mission school base in Guinea so can speak from experience there. The days of strict rules and harsh punishments are gone. Dorm parents and teachers have trusting relationships with the children.
    Parents who choose to homeschool also have help and resources provided. Things have changed so much since the Fanda days, the mission is learning from horrible mistakes in the past. Thank you for being brave enough to share your stories and help things change for the better.

26. Naomi Cleaves (Quilliam) says:

I DONT WANT TO SEE THE MISTAKES CONTINUED. PLEASE AGNOLAGE YOUR SHORTCOMINGS IN THE WAY THE DORMS ARE RUN AND WORK ON CHANGE!

27. Naomi Cleaves (Quilliam) says:

All I would really like from NTM, is for them to change the way they run there boarding schools, in other words, change the way the mission treats Its children. I will repeat what I said in my story…”The dorm parents had a serious and difficult job and none of them were properly trained, qualified or equip for the job (and they had little to no support). The system was bound to fail.” So, because they were not accountable to anyone and were not being watched closely by any sort of support network set up just for them, even the ‘good’ dorm parents made some MAJOR mistakes. And the ‘bad’ ones got away with these horrible things.

And I would also like to see them deal with people in the mission that they find out are abusers, more appropriately. they can not simply forgive these people because they repent. Even if these people do repent, it does not mean that the LAW should be disregarded. NTM should be forgiving of these people but still do everything in there power to make sure that they are punished according to the law.

There are people everywhere who do very bad things. NTM is not immune to these people just because it is a Christian organization. Humans can not know the hearts and hidden motives of other people, and NTM as a whole can not be held accountable for what these few people have done. HOWEVER, I DO NOT THINK that NTM has dealt with curtain issues and people satisfactorily.

28. Kari says:

“God uses sinners to save sinners. Salvation does not equal Perfection, rather Forgiveness.”

Absolutely! But the key that is missing here is repentant sinners.

29. TimBurke says:

Sorry if my words are harsh. I struggle with deep anger and resentment towards NTM for the suffering they inflicted on all of us at Fanda, I have never been able to fully get past it.

30. Kari says:

“But that fact aside NTM wants to help all of us who have faced abuse or neglect as MK´s to work through these issues, have victory over things in our past, and move forward into a relationship with God our Father who does love us and desires to heal us.”

Also, abused MK, objectively and not emotionally I do not see this as reality. Instead we abused MKs have been called liars (me personally) ignored (all of us) and made to feel we were the problem for not merely forgiving and getting on with our lives.

In short, I strongly take objection to your viewpoint.

31. Anon. MK says:

Perhaps “God´s Will“ does sound too ambiguous… but that would be because many times Man does not know God´s good and perfect Will.. will look like. We work towards accomplishing God´s Will to the extent that we know and understand His Will to be… and that would be according to His Word. Despite God´s Word saying that his will is for every man to come to a saving knowledge of Him… we know that this simply doesn´t happen, because of sin and corruption in the World. However, we work towards that goal of seeing God´s Will accomplished here on Earth. We leave the details in His hands, when we have done what we believe to be His Will for us as individuals. Wordy and confusing, maybe? As far as the Lost, not being Lost? I believe otherwise… how can they believe, if they have never heard? …as it is written, how beautiful are the feet of them that preach the Good News… God uses sinners to save sinners. Salvation does not equal Perfection, rather Forgiveness.

32. Kari says:

hello anon MK from another field,

My heart breaks that you too experienced abuse at the hands of missionaries(?) on another field.

Know (if you somehow missed it) that we have been pleading with NTM for months to be the church for us, to repent for their leadership style and decisions that allowed these atrocities and protected those who committed them.

Know that the leadership will not to this day say that they sinned in covering these facts up and not punishing the perpetrators.

Know that my parents 20 years ago tried to reveal these same facts to the leadership and in fact were able to extract a confession from one of the abusers. If NTM had acted accordingly more of these new atrocities coming to light may never have needed to happen.

Instead they lied, yes lied, to current NTM Senegal missionaries about what took place in Senegal. Covered up and held secrets in their arrogance.
    Know that the fruit on the Senegal field, the one church established there in the 50 years that NTM had a presence was established in the village my parents were working in while they were working there. I live today in Senegal with the first Budik believer and his wife and children, he came to Christ in the study of our house in Chobo. He is today a strong believer working with Campus Crusade for Christ in a high position, and he has much to share with NTM about their faulty leadership style.

Know that I went with another MK to Florida in May to plead with NTM to repent and to acknowledge their sin and to bring these atrocities into the light so others who believed they were alone in their abuse would feel safety in coming forth with their stories.

Know that our hearts, knowing that there are misisonaries with NTM with pure hearts and pure motives, was for repentance on the part of the mission so those good works could be continued.

As Brent so accurately put it, the Executive Board is trying to distance themselves from what happened, when in fact they are the ones who had the knowledge since 1989, and did not act. What happened in Senegal was a direct result of the leadership style that the Executive Board (then committee) displayed and modeled for their missionaries, and in light of the cover-up today is still furthering.

Know that we trust the Father absolutely. And we cannot for another 8 months, another 20 years, or another day continue to be a part of this Great Cover-Up, as another abused MK so accurately put it.

33. Laura Stirling says:

Anon MK: The phrase “God’s will” is too ambiguous. This phrase is used too loosely by many Christians and has negatively affected the psychological outlook of many children and adults. What is God’s will? To love Him and to love one another. Through my love for my fellow MK’s who were abused, I wholehardedly support the legal prosecution of NTM as a whole, as it is no other than the whole who are responsible for the many crimes that have occurred. There should have been checks and balances – there was not and there is not. I will not see more MK’s abused in this manner, in the name of saving the lost, who perhaps are not as lost as many seem to think. Justice may not be done here on earth, but it would be to the benefit of all, including the abusers, if it were. Saying “I’m sorry” is not justice – there must be a tangible consequence.

34. Vicky Frayne says:

I believe that since NTM has apparently some of the perpetrators of this situation still “on staff” or involved, they should be held responsible. Even if it means a court of law. Im not talking about every single missionary, but the people in “leadership” of this so-called sham.

35. Anon. MK says:

Just because you don´t see that there was fruit produced in your experience in Senegal, or don´t feel that the field of Senegal was fruitful according to your standards, doesn´t mean that God´s Word didn´t go forth… the Bible clearly says that God´s Word does not return void… also in Corinithians it speaks of how that even out of selfish motives that if God´s Word is taught and heard, that it has the power to save lives… God doesn´t need us to carry out His task of evangelism, but rather..it´s our privelage to be involved in things with eternal value. Regarding the abuse that happened to each of you out there…as an MK myself…from a different field with NTM, who too experienced inappropriate behavior at the hands of men I trusted, I just pray for healing in your lives…God doesn´t always promise justice here on Earth, but we can be sure that He is holding those people accountable for their actions. I do firmly believe that NTM -today- is doing everything in their power to make all of these abuse situations come to justice and make sure that to the extent possible, that these abusers are dealt with. There are alot of legal things that are involved that make things difficult… the simple fact that these cases happened overseas..makes it nearly impossible for the abusers to face charges in the USA(especially if they are no longer with NTM). But that fact aside NTM wants to help all of us who have faced abuse or neglect as MK´s to work through these issues, have victory over things in our past, and move forward into a relationship with God our Father who does love us and desires to heal us. I do believe with all my heart that the men or women who were involved in our abuse/neglect should be confronted and held responsible for their actions… and if they are in a position of leadership with NTM still… should be told to step down and given accountability and strict guidelines depending on what the abuse/neglect involved…as well as to apologize to each of those who they abused….for the simple fact of acknowledging what happened for what it was… sin. It was them personally that was in sin…not the child they exploited. Ok, that´s all for now. Praying for God´s Will, not mine. Because His is better, even when we don´t understand it all…

36. John Adams says:

As I’ve commented other places, I certainly don’t absolve NTM of their responsibilities and their need to own up to their mistakes, however, I believe some comments have unfairly targeted the mission as a whole. Some of the statements above could be taken to impugn the 3000+ NTM missionaries who bear no responsibility in these cases but are honestly trying to share the gospel around the world.

Lest anyone think I’m defending the system, I’ll repeat what I’ve said before. I certainly want those who intentionally wronged these victims to be held accountable (both abusers and any who concealed it intentionally).

37. TimBurke says:

I think it’s pretty clear that NTM has begun behaving like any corporation in crisis. They are desperately trying to put out the flames of a destructive fire that their leadership set decades ago. I think they recognize that momentum is building against them and any serious civil suit could completely destroy them financially. NTM’s net worth is somewhere around $38M if you include the cash they hold on behalf of their missionaries, about $5M. Most of their net worth is in the physical assets they own (buildings and real estate). Cash settlements for sexually abused children under religious authority are typically around $1M. There were at least 15 girls abused at Fanda. Do the math, there would be a fire sale if anyone actually filed suit.

I’m not sure why there has been so much hesitation to file suit against NTM – I think there is a lot of guilt that ruining NTM financially would not be God’s will. For those of you who still believe that God has a will, consider Ryan’s comment “where’s the fruit?” Any tree that does not bear fruit should be cut down and fed to the fire. Pretty sure that’s in the bible somewhere.

Lets chop it down.

38. Bonnie says:

Cathy – thank you so much for your comment. what some of us want desperately is for our parents to raise their voices!
    Parents reading this blog – please consider Cathy’s post – please consider standing up and advocating for your kids. although we are grown, it is not too late. demand information from ntm, demand that an investigation be launched for the entire mission.
    this should not be left for the victims to do. where are our advocates? who is championing for us? are we to do this on our own, again?

39. Brent says:

The only value I can envision in reviewing the leadership “style” in Senegal in the 80s and 90s would be to uncover mission-wide systemic thinking and theology that caused it. This then should stimulate a review of current thinking and theology. The language in the letter seems to imply a distancing of the organization from what happened when actually what happened was a result of the system at that time. Has there been fundamental changes in how leadership is chosen, trained and monitored for effectiveness?

40. admin says:

I can’t find any licensing information for any of the counselors in the above link in the comments.

Please, please everyone, seek out a licensed therapist with adequate training.

As we have learned from observing the CPC, merely having a good heart without the necessary training to steer it can be more dangerous than helpful.

41. admin says:

as Fanda student says above, this is way beyond an investigation into the leadership style of the 80’s and 90’s at Fanda.
    this is about how To This Day you, the Executive Board of NTM have done nothing to prosecute these offenders, some of which you have known about for twenty years, some which have come to light recently. one day of inaction is too long. it is an outrage that many of the abusers are still missionaries with NTM to this day.

42. Cathy Burke says:

It is time that NTM fully disclosed publicly all claims or questions raised by anyone at the Fanda base regarding abuse of any kind. My heart is sickened by these additional accounts I have been reading of on this blog.

Parents- it is time to raise our voices. We need to know – what year a question was raised, and in what dorm. We don’t need to know the victim’s name, we need to know the year they suffered the abuse in the dorm. We need to know this so that we can be proactive in talking to our kids, who may be still keeping secrets.

43. Naomi Cleaves (Quilliam) says:

“Sixth, we remain stringly committed to preventing future abuse” why is someone who confessed to abusing a girl still on the missionfield?

44. Laura Stirling says:

“to make NTM the most God-honoring and caring mission organization that it can be.”

the cpc has already failed to meet the standard this statement suggests. the physical abuser of my younger brother is currently still working for NTM, irregardless of sufficient evidence provided for the cpc by various witnessess. the reasons for this, they say, are:

1) the number of years that have passed since the crime
    2) the abuser has received “anger management counselling” since abuse occurred.

the above reasons are not sufficient. The years gone by have accentuated the results of the abuse, not reduced them.

If NTM was God-honouring and caring, the victim would be considered above the abuser. The abuser in question should be dismissed from NTM, due to “violation of NTM policies.”

I seriously doubt the motivations underlying the exsistence of the cpc – why do they exist?? to provide a salve for the conscience of NTM or to provide legitimate answers for victims and valid consequences for abusers?

45. Peter Stirling says:

A third party should NOT be a Christian entity. Spiritualizing everything is part of what allowed these atrocities to happen without being noticed. These are criminal acts that “prayer” and “forgiveness” verbage will not solve.

46. Fanda Student says:

“conduct a review of the abuse allegations and NTM’s leadership style in the 1980’s and 1990’s at the Fanda School.”

How about conduct a review of the NTM Executive Board, that did not report the abuse to the authorities when they heard about it and protected the abuser for many years?

This letter is offensive in its vagueness and what appears to be placating.

47. Mark Terpstra says:

I would say (from my perspective) the underlying steps and actions NTM has outlined here are good – perhaps the language just isn’t as strong as it should be.

Building on the Second point in NTM’s statement… perhaps an independent, Christ-centered, third party would indeed be the way to develop an *action plan* for NTM to follow in order to achieve *true justice and healing* for all people involved, for the glory of God. Of course, that third party should be one that understands this type of situation.

On a personal level related to the Fifth point, NTM reimbursed me for my counseling expenses. And I wasn’t even making abuse allegations – I was just dealing with the emotional struggles that stemmed from being sent to boarding school as a child.

48. joie says:

“We read your recently posted blog with great sadness. We want to apologize again for the hurts you have experienced”

the hurts you have experienced? wtf? honestly, how hard is it to say “WE MESSED UP and WE’RE SO SORRY and these are the ACTION points we will take to correct it?”

it’s a lot of words that impart very little meaning, that’s what i think.

49. Tim says:

As A fiance of one of the victims I can say this letter from NTM is shady, to say the least. Hiring an independent organization to investigate this matter? Should you not be letting the law investigate this matter? Reasonable expenses? With the lives you’ve effected, I think the word reasonable should’nt be in any letter you publicize. I sit here and wonder how many times an NTM member has worried about the flight they are taking to the next retreat was reasonable. All lives effected by these people should immediatly hire a civil lawyer to decide what is “reasonable” for them for the years of pain they have had to endure, as all i see in this letter is NTM looking out for there own matters, not the victims.

50. Joel C. says:

As I read this a name of a third party that might be mutually beneficial to moderating a conference would be “Open Hearts Ministry”. They would also be worth looking at for any MK who has dealt with any kinds of abuse in their life.

Open Hearts Ministry, Inc. is a non-profit charitable organization whose stated mission is:

“To minister to the abused through the love of Christ and equip others to do the same.”

Open Hearts has sponsored intensive seminars to train leaders from across North American and around the world. These seminars equip people to start “Grace Groups” to which Open Hearts is a resource for on going leader development, materials and mentoring. One of these seminars is S.A.L.T.S.

Jan Terpstra is very familiar with Open Hearts Ministry and S.A.L.T.S.

I hope you find this helpful.