[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - Bob Jones University

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Bob Jones University
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:59 pm 

Three months after the release of GRACE's report on Bob Jones University, BJU's president, Steve Pettit, has made an official response. The transcript can be read here:

http://www.bju.edu/grace/transcript.pdf

If you are interested in this subject, many articles and reactions can be found online, through Google and Facebook.

The summary of these reactions, I would say, is that those most deeply affected by abuse -- and BJU's response to abuse -- are deeply disappointed in BJU's failure to follow GRACE's recommendations.

My own personal feeling, in my limited understanding of the entire scope of this situation is simply this: the fundamentalist organizations, schools and churches will continue to respond the same way to our appeals for transparency, humility and repentance regarding the children and young people who have been so deeply wounded in their midst.

Survival of the institution is always going to take precedence over the needs of victims/survivors. They will continue to be sacrificed for the "greater good". The tears of a few people will not move the hearts of the leaders who are focused on what they think is the bigger picture.

I admit I have extreme bias in this regard, but I do not apologize. My earliest understanding of the heart of Jesus had so much to do with the fact that he cared about and loved the least of these. The smallest child. The most isolated tribal person. The neediest, most battered human being, regardless of age, sex or race. The lost sheep. The man beaten and robbed on the road to Jericho. The blind, the lame, the rejected.

I feel a sense of despair over the proof, once again, that the leaders of conservative Christian groups are apparently incapable of the kind of compassion that Jesus demonstrated. If this grieves my heart this deeply, I can't help but think it must grieve the heart of my Gentle Shepherd as well.

Will they ever wake up? Will they ever figure out how far they have wandered off the path of mercy and truth?

Today, I am afraid my answer would be, "No, I don't think so."

The tears I shed over this are not my tears alone. I think some of the tears mixing with mine are falling from Heaven.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:02 pm 

http://www.snapnetwork.org/sc_victims_b ... r_inaction

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:26 pm 

http://www.thestate.com/2015/03/11/4037 ... .html?rh=1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:28 pm 

MK Safety Net has issued a statement about Bob Jones University's response to GRACE's report on their school.

BJU response to G.R.A.C.E. report recommendations
Updated Mar 24th, 2015

It is with considered outrage and deep, deep sadness that the Boards of MK Safety Net Canada and MK Safety Net U.S. (MKSN) have received the response of the administrators of Bob Jones University to the G.R.A.C.E. recommendations. BJU has willfully and flagrantly disregarded the wise directives offered it by an independent, credible and highly-regarded organization committed to the restoration of integrity in the broader Christian community. The G.R.A.C.E. report carefully reviewed longstanding allegations of abuse at BJU as well as the professional behavior of current staff at the University who were directly and indirectly culpable for much of the reported abuse. We believe G.R.A.C.E.'s counsel to be eminently fair and worthy of implementation.

Notwithstanding the rhetorical flourishes of Dr. Pettit's statement, BJU has intentionally sent a strong, self-serving message to its constituency and the broader Christian community in North American that it is "business as usual" for the school, no alterations necessary! Regretfully, the BJU administration evidences no intention of subjecting itself to the assuredly more objective views of competent Christian professionals outside BJU's immediate community. MKSN disapproves of and laments the University administration's arrogant and obstinate attitude and actions in this regard.

We wish to express our ongoing support of BJU students and their families who were victimized while at BJU. Sadly, you have been re-victimized by the absence of systemic reform and by the University's continued employment of Bob Jones III and Jim Berg. Unfortunately, it was and is common in the mission organizations many of us grew up in for them not to lay off employees who either placed the students in their charge in grave jeopardy or who themselves victimized the students. Please know that we stand in solidarity with you as you continue to find ways to redress these injustices.

We respectfully urge Dr. Pettit and the relevant authorities governing BJU to reconsider its calloused response.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:25 pm 

There was a group put together which was called the Abuse Response Task Force, which consisted of one respresentative from GRACE, two representatives from Bob Jones University, and two abuse survivors who had participated in the GRACE investigation.

Now, after seeing the official response from BJU to GRACE's findings, the abuse survivors have written this open letter to BJU. I can't copy and paste it, so please click on this link to read this very articulate and inspiring letter:

An open letter to Bob Jones University from the survivors of the Abuse Response Task Force

http://bjugrace.com/2015/03/23/an-open- ... ask-force/

No one who has been involved in the NTM investigations has taken such a step.

I wonder what effect it would have, if there was such an open letter written by some of the MK survivors who had participated in an investigation? Or by members of a Recommendations Panel, whose recommendations have been ignored? Or by Pat Hendrix, who has lost her job? Or by Pii, which has been terminated by Theresa Sidebotham?

Would the members and supporters of NTM finally grasp the reality of what has been happening?

I wonder .....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:28 am 

That is quite a letter!
Yes, I wonder…...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:45 pm 

It might help some of the people see and understand the reality of the situation, but I suspect that NTM's response would be pretty much like BJU.

"We don't care about you. Now go away because you're hindering our "work"." :( :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:30 pm 

:roll:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:02 am 

Same Old…...