MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:36 am 

I am not sure how all this works yet. I posted this on the Vianopolis Brazil page. But I think it might apply to other schools too. In fact I know it does to at least one. As painful as it is to have to consider one more form of abuse suffered by mks, this was a real one and left painful scars on some kids. This was my post.

"I am wondering about something. I have heard of abuse that took place from older students. Some of the kids who were molested were minors, and the other students 2 to 3 years older, and not a minor. In some cases it was at the time mutual, but still sexual contact with a minor. In some cases there were multiple students involved in the sexual activity and same sex activity. How should this be handled and should these students be reported even if it happened a long time ago? I even heard about it happening to Brazilians from town with older students from the school."

Sorry if this is not the proper way to address the subject (twice), but I was not sure how else to post it for other schools to read it and consider.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:50 am 

This is why it would be really, really helpful to know about who will be doing the investigations. If I were you, I would email GRACE with details that you know or encourage the victims to email/write/call GRACE. All of this stuff should be considered. If anyone that you are thinking of has a story to tell, we'll listen. Sounds like a big burden to bear.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:51 am 

I agree with Traevbru---the place to start is communicating with GRACE.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:55 am 

I agree: GRACE is definitely the place to begin. They have a good track record. They are honest, thorough, confidential and kind. That's an impressive list, and it is just the start!

And, kudos to you for your concern. Silence has only harmed people so far.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:10 am 

"I am wondering about something. I have heard of abuse that took place from older students. Some of the kids who were molested were minors, and the other students 2 to 3 years older, and not a minor. In some cases it was at the time mutual, but still sexual contact with a minor. In some cases there were multiple students involved in the sexual activity and same sex activity. How should this be handled and should these students be reported even if it happened a long time ago? I even heard about it happening to Brazilians from town with older students from the school."

NTM handles these cases as abuse cases, if there was a certain amount of years between the students/kids ages, even if both of them were minors at the time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:23 am 

I thought I had posted a reply but don't see it showing up. I will try again and excuse me if it ends up being a double reply.

Some of the former students or student/staff who were involved in this kind of activity are not with NTM. They are living and working in the U.S. I don't know if GRACE is going to be handling all of this, so it might be good to pursue other avenues too, even the authorities. Especially if it involves statutory rape or sexual misconduct with a minor. I am speaking to another organization about this too to see if they have any ideas on how to handle this. I think some of the students who were the abused will be willing to come forward. The more delicate part is who will advocate for the nationals some of who are adults now.