[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - Hows the Physical Health?

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

How is your Physical Health?
Super fit, trim, no health problems what so ever. 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
For my age, not to bad. 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Average. 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Please prepare the Eulogy 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Deceased and writing this from the Pearly Gates. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Please see comments, that I will add. 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
If you are male, have you visited your doctor in the last year, yes? 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
If you are a male have you visited your doctor in the last 5 years? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
What is a doctor? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
None of your business what my health is like! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:01 pm 

It's Men's Health Week down here, so I was wondering how us ageing MKs are doing physically.

Not sure what it is like in other countries, but getting the average Kiwi male to the doctor when they are not actually in the process of dying can be mission impossible.

There is even an on-line survey that one can do http://menshealthweek.co.nz/survey/

And to get the ball rolling, why not a little survey of our own.

So now the ball is rolling, please don't feel excluded if you don't qualify as a male (or this will be the shortest lived thread in the history of Fanda Eagles). :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:56 am 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:39 am 

Haha! This is a great poll!

I can't wait to see what all the "boys" have to say about this subject!

As for myself, I am #1: super-fit. I work out every day. My fingers are very nimble from pounding away at computer keys for hours. My knuckles look like my grandmother's though. I am sure this is somehow related to time spent riding elephants in Thailand.

I look just like I did when I was 17, flirting with those Puraquequara boys in the lake at Camp Awana. (Thanks, Clairol. It also helps if I only look in the mirror when it is steamed up after a shower.) I wonder if Bing Hare can still do back flips off the raft, and if his muscles are all still in the same place. I think if we could hold our next MK reunion in space, everything on me would look like it's still in the same place too. Kind of. And in my space suit, I wouldn't look like someone who has gained 50 pounds. Maybe.

Hmmm .... do I sound like I am stretching the truth a bit, or covering up the obvious? Now why would I do that??

My cardiologist has checked out my heart. He tells me it is still in the right place.

Whew! That's good to know.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:41 am 

Alas if you are waiting for what "the boys" are going to say about this subject, I'm sorry to inform you that it could be a very long wait.

While "the sisters" will complete their routine health checks without raising much of a fuss, "the boys" will polish their cars religiously, but not even think to lift the bonnet on their own engine or other vital bits (it's called a prostrate check boys and it is very important once we men get to middle age).
And so many men get caught out, because by time the old waterworks are dribbling or the chestpain is radiating down the left arm, it is often to late and it will be the undertakers not the doctors office.

So my dear "sisters", if your man is about as hopeless as the average Kiwi male, make him get the lid on his bonnet up and a professional give the engine a once over. It is so much easier to nip that little problem before it becomes a big or terminal problem. And get him to tell his friends to get checked over.
If there is nothing wrong with his engine, excellent. And if there is a problem that is caught early, he will be eternally grateful you insisted on getting him to do something (of course be prepared for him to suddenly discover that it was he who initiated his going to get a check up).

And the proof. Have a look at who is in the resthome that you next visit. Probably 80% female and there is several very good reasons for that, one of the big ones being, men don't make it to the resthome because they didn't look after themselves!

As for the poll, open to anyone, male/female, old/young, MK/non MK, saint/sinner.

P.s. Raz, I'm sure you are as lovely as when you were when you were 17. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:07 pm 

Bemused is right, the average man is not going to take a blind scrap of notice about this thread, because when it comes to their own health they are really really dumb.
Of course we can keep it light hearted and the poll is great, but the underlying message is really serious. Look at the average Western male, overweight, unfit and years between check ups. And they are dying like flies, compared to women.
The way to show you love your man is not to feed him a huge plate of bacon and eggs with fries, that is so 1900s. No it is to get him off his backside, remote out of his hand and moving. But before you turn him back to his hey day, get him checked by a professional first. The last thing you want is him trying to prove he is the same old stud you married by running a mile as fast as he can go and kicking the bucket from a heart attack on the way!!!!!!! And while he is having a little check up with the doctor, insist he has a blood sample for that old prostrate of his (he's probably terrified that the doctor is going to put a finger you know where, wrong! can be done with a blood test) and get his cholesterol, kidneys and liver checked.
Sisters we get our bits and bobs checked regularly (and if you don't, you really should be), but our men are mostly apathetic and pathetic when it comes to looking after themselves.

So yet again it is up to us sisters to get men doing what they should, as posters on this site we should be experts at this :lol:
And a round of applause for the man who cares enough about this issue to put it in front of us. Of course he is a nurse, so he's been well trained by the sisterhood, but lets clap anyway. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:35 pm 

:D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:03 am 

Good article this one:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/wellbeing/10134920/Nine-health-saving-tips-all-men-should-know

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:28 pm 
Site Admin

I have a stress related ailment that pops up quite frequently. It gets worse the older I get. I really need to get back to the yoga studio.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:48 pm 

After a scare last year, I've been getting into better shape. I did my first triathlon last month and am now training for another next month. Just saw my doctor last week.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:55 pm 

Good for you, Jerry B!
Send us the link for the news clipping. :D