[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - Storm in the Philippines.

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:10 am 

http://usa.ntm.org/mission-news/66488/ntm-aviation-assisting-relief-efforts

Dear Larry,

As someone who has survived a natural disaster and it's long aftermath, I'll impart a few tips:

What will be encountered is utter confusion and devastation. For those that have the capability, equipment, skill and are first on the scene, the challenges will be great. There will be the injured to care for, the lost to be found and graves, many graves to be dug.

Charities and aid agencies will quickly gear up, appeals will be made and large amounts of cash will begin to circulate. Alas with large amounts of cash comes those who find it's lure irresistible, or an opportunity to pursue their own agenda at donors expense.

When all is done and dusted, and the emergency over, the kindness of those who gave their all for fellow humans will be long remembered and those who served themselves will never be forgotten.

I work in the medical industry and when the earthquake hit that destroyed much of the city where I lived, the best and the worst of human nature soon eventuated. Bureaucracy often stifled the efforts of those who worked beyond the call of duty and it didn't take long for those with their own interests to arrive and help themselves to what was destined for those with great needs.

Therefore my plea is to make sure that all money donated in your appeal is seen to arrive where it is needed most and any money reimbursed for expenses by government or charity organisations is used with integrity. The dead cannot bury the dead and it is not the time to "follow me", but to act with humanity and total integrity.

All the best

Bemused

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:13 am 

Excellent, Bemused.

Thank you for speaking up about this.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:57 am 

NTM Aviation is trying to raise $100,000 for their "Typhoon Haiyan Relief" fund.

Yesterday their description of how that money would be used was that it would "provide for the fuel and other supplies to keep relief materials moving to areas affected by the typhoon". $100,000 for fuel to fly supplies provided by other relief agencies, such as the Red Cross? That is a LOT of av gas!! :shock:

I am relieved today to see that the description has been expanded. Fortunately it looks like someone has now come to their senses and thought this through better. The description now reads:

"Your gifts can provide for the fuel and other supplies to keep relief materials moving to areas affected by the typhoon. They can help with the purchase of needed food, medical supplies and other necessities. They can also help fund medical help.

Any funds collected in excess of the needs of NTM's direct involvement in relief efforts will be forwarded in their entirety to reputable relief organizations that NTM has verified are doing relief work in the wake of the typhoon."

That looks a lot better. I can now be supportive of NTM's efforts to help out the many Filipinos in the parts of the country so ravaged by this super typhoon.

May God protect all those involved in relief efforts, and bring comfort, healing and sustenance to those who have lost so much.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:39 pm 

Yes it does sound considerably better.

We had a series of devastating earthquakes and on the second one I arrived at work minutes after the it hit. The place was in an uproar and the. I soon realised that my staffing level was going to be very sparse as colleagues found that they had strong reasons to go home or could not make it to work. However the two male Filipino and one male Indian male nurse stayed on and between us we worked like dogs and got through the shift. I shall never forget their comment that they couldn't leave me to fend for myself and that it was their way of repaying a previous kindness.
In an emergency situation, people act unpredictably, some go beyond the call of duty to help others and others look after themselves.

Having been through a similar situation, I do feel for my Filipino colleagues as they try and find out if their loved ones have survived.

Perhaps those of us who pray could remember them and those that are arriving to help.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:49 pm 

Yes, prayers for the resilient Filipinos. Definitely.

There is a saying there: Utang na loob. Debt of inside, or in more understandable terms, debt of gratitude.

Past favors are always remembered, and one seeks to repay the debt that is owed. That is exactly what your co-workers were describing.

This is indeed our opportunity to help in a time of great suffering. With our prayers and in other ways as well.

The Philippines is pulling at my heart these days.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:36 pm 

The last resthome I worked in, was run by a very astute nurse. She employed quite a few Filipino male nurses (and females too) and they were great to work with. I was the only non Filipino male nurse, so my four colleagues called me "the fifth Filipino", which I thought was pretty cool.
I've heard from one of my colleagues and his family is safe, it appears some of the others may not be so fortunate and communications are down.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:20 am 

Yes, it's time to pray!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:24 pm 

Praying.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:08 pm 

Going and Praying we actually get there:

Good news the Kiwi Airforce is sending a plane loaded with relief supplies. Trouble is that our plane is so ancient, last time we did this sort of thing, it broke down and had to be fixed by our very good "friends" the Australians. Oh how embarrassing.

Maybe the Kiwi Airforce could borrow one of NTM's new flash Kodiaks :P

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:40 am 

THAT would be REALLY embarrassing! :oops:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next