[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - Summary of Abuse

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Summary of Abuse
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:23 am 

Could it be that these people are not defending themselves because they do not read these forums? And are we making sure that there is proof of abuse before listing names? Isn't that slander? While I desperately want to see people find help and healing, I don't want to permanently hurt someone else's life by making accusations that aren't proven...this is a very dangerous road to be walking.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:44 am 

Your point is valid, caution not only needs to be taken, but seen to be taken.

However, the abusers I know personally on this list, well and truly deserve to be here, for they engaged in crimes over years even decades on a scale that would have in normal society seen them incarcerated for considerable periods, yet they have been protected, hidden or shuffled out of harms way.
NTM is a small world within a larger world. I would suspect many of those who's names appear on the list are well aware of the fact, sure they may not read the posts, but they will have friends, friends of friends, sympathisers and family who will have brought this to their attention. And their silence now is interesting as is the fact that there has been no court action taken for libel.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:55 am 

Bemused, I agree with you that many of these people are so very guilty of abuse and need to face the consequences. There are no specific accusations against Alana Mayer and Shirley Sanville-how do we know that their names deserve to be on the list? Is there someone who is double checking against what is posted on this site?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:35 am 

Personally I've not put a name on the list, I would like to add two, but although their actions were devastating to a lot of young minds, they were as far as I know outside the bounds of criminality. If however I was able to find hard evidence to the contrary, then I would add their names.
Names are checked, but human error is always a possibility. You are more than welcome to personal message someone who places a name on the list with any concern. Very few of us bite and some of us are so old and forgetful we don't even wear our dentures most of the time. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:09 pm 

Good council, Bemused. I did PM the person who posted those names, hopefully will find some answers. Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:14 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:24 pm 

The recent list included only adult names. If abuse is so much wider shouldn't we be including names of students who abused other students. There has been peer-to-peer sexual abuse as well as peer bullying. It is all evil and it all has a lifetime impact. This took place in Tambo and I'm thinking took place in other schools also.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:32 pm 

I do not agree with listing student names. There are many different reasons why a child might abuse another, and I don't think that children should be held to the same standards as adults. Often, when children abuse others, it is because they themselves were abused. I think this would only add to whatever wounds they carry that might have caused that behaviour.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:45 pm 

I agree students can not be held to the same standard as an adult. But we do need to be careful on listing names if we do not have a personal experience with the person who's name is listed and a definition should be given ie. physical abuse, sexual abuse, if that is not given the name should not be added to the list.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

We need to be very careful here. Defamation laws can be a powerful thing. And there is a reason that adult laws don't apply the same way to children.

I'm also sure that each one of us has acted in ways during our childhood that we regret. It has been said that children can be cruel. They are learning. It is the adult's responsibility to teach them. How sad for all of us who, for the most part, didn't have the examples we should have.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 25  Next