[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - Summary of Abuse

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Summary of Abuse
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:36 am 

Bemused, this was suggested some time ago (see the first post on this very thread), but it never actually came to pass. We could try it again. However, may I suggest that we limit the description to something like "sexual" or "physical", and people can give more details of their stories (or others' stories) in separate posts.

If anyone knows what description and/or country to add to the ones not filled in, and is not comfortable filling in that information themselves, you may PM me, and I can do it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:52 am 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:32 pm 

wounded,

missionaries that show up on ntm.org can include those who retired in NTM (met minimum service requirements and age - recently changed to just service requirements). those who retired with NTM are still eligible to receive tax deductible donations through NTM (i'm sure this is an IRS related requirement).

that is why so many close to retirement missionaries are holding on to NTM for dear life - because, for many, these donations are the only real source of retirement income besides social security. i must say, it would be a tough position to be in when you are close to that age.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:40 pm 

I think you raise a good point, we need to be careful and check evidence from more than one source.
And if my name ended up on the list, I wouldn't be amused, my record as an MK was one of being a good two shoes, who asked to many questions.
Now if my father ended up on the list, I wouldn't be totally suprised, but even he would be entitled to a fair process of scrutinisation.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:18 am 

I agree with you Bemused and Bruised but not Broken about the need to be careful about the names added to the list. I remember Shirley from our time at Tambo and was surprised to see her name added. I just remember her as a quiet, hard working lady who tried to minister to the locals. She wasn't a dorm parent at that time. I never heard her raise her voice at any of the kids or saw any inappropriate behavior. She seemed to have a quiet, servant's spirit. I admit, though, that I arrived in Bolivia very naive and thinking that all missionaries were at a much higher spiritual level than the rest of us. Certainly the last thing I thought I would be dealing with on the mission field would be child abuse.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:29 am 

Perhaps you could try PMing MK to see if they can give you any other information. Or MK might be willing to post more information publicly here.

I hate to squelch those who've summoned up the courage to submit names, by grilling them about it.

We could all agree that people have the right to defend themselves, if they feel they are being falsely accused.

I also know from experience though, that abusive people don't always show their dark side to everyone. Especially when they are supposed to be Christians ... missionaries!! I have known far too many of those, and I'm so saddened to hear more and more stories of adults who hurt children so deeply within the close-knit and supposedly safe NTM family.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:45 am 

Thank you both, Bemused and MamaBear. I had mixed feelings about posting, as I didn't want to give the impression of censorship. At the same time, there is a concern for the two ladies mentioned. I share your sentiments, MamaBear, on Shirley. She was a servant and had a heart for the Bolivian people.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:44 am 

I agree on what Raz, and you others are saying in theory, but all of us must be very cautious about questioning people whenever they post a name. I speak out of experience, it is hard to summon up courage to do it. And if after posting a name, somebody questions, it may cause many others to withdraw and even stop posting just because of this thought that comes to my mind: "if this people who are supposed to be pro-me, don't believe me, then nobody will, forget this thing!" This is what I would say...

So just let us all be very cautious what we post and how. Sometimes when we see a friend's name posted , we tend to doubt it, and that is not fair for all of us who had to stirr up our lives to start posting. Maybe, we should start a thread on each sort of abuse, so that names are posted in the corresponding threads. Feedback??????

Love you all!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:18 am 

Blond, I am not doubting you. You have named your abuser and a specific abuse. What I am referring to is just dropping a name with no specific accusation. It could even be stated as..."suspicion of __________________." But, to just post a name causes me to err on the side of caution. Hope you understand - all of you who have been victimized.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:23 am 

I am old enough to remember that there was a time when corporal punishment in the classroom (and the home) was considered appropriate. People differed in their opinions as to how to carry out such punishment, and it was taken to extremes far too often.

In cases where adults were overly cruel to children: when they caused humiliation, terror, bruises and lacerations, they do bear responsibility for allowing their frustrations to turn them into sadists.

But we must not forget that others should also be held responsible to such reprehensible behavior. Other school staff, administrators, school boards, field committees, even parents. Often other adults did know these missionaries were out of control. They looked the other way. They too should answer for their complicity.

In the case of sexual abuse, there is no acceptable explanation. It was always evil, and always will be.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 25  Next