MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:00 pm 

The documentary, All God's Children, is being screened in Thailand. It is a thoughtful, well-organized screening held by staff at a school for MK's and others.

Could you let anyone who might be in that part of Thailand know of the screening?

Luci Westphal invited you to "All God's Children - Thailand Screening (Asia Premiere)"
All God's Children - Thailand Screening (Asia Premiere)
Wednesday, February 8 at 7:00pm

More information can be found at http://www.facebook.com/allgodschildren#!/allgodschildren

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:31 pm 

Any one seen All God's Children for the first time recently? It is a good film to show to small groups. You will have questions after it is finished, but the people have a background for what abuse in boarding school is like. They can also see the life long results of childhood abuse.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:18 am 

I saw it a few months ago. I watched it by myself first and then with Mrs Bemused. This was good, because it gave the lovely Mrs Bemused even more insight into my past, which was very different from her own.
The similarity between missions was striking.

This should be compulsory viewing for all NTMers and ex NTMers, after all how many years of indoctrination did MKs have to endure, what is 90 minutes in return?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:52 am 

It was VERY hard to watch.
The children running around in the yard at the school--all in black and white
Suddenly had the faces of our children and their friends---in technicolor
and I was crying.
And couldn't stop.....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:00 pm 

And none of those children asked for what they got.

And now they ask for justice and that they haven't got.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:51 pm 

Thanks for watching All God's children. Please in the next year encourage others to see it. Like Mrs. Bemused so she can understand better. For MKs who have gone through abuse so they know they are not alone. Hope you all had a good Christmas.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:02 pm 

I suspect I'm the only one with a copy in NZ, as copies have to be imported. I think it should be compulsory viewing for every member of Crossview, prospective member and potential member.
But I doubt that would ever happen.

Interestingly, a colleague found it being recommended on an Australian Catholic bog site, as was Fanda Eagles.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:14 pm 

As I mentioned before, I have watched All God's Children and it had an interesting impact on me...I related to so much the film. I found it on youtube. I watched it alone and then with my husband because I knew he just had to see it to help him understand. It brought up some interesting discussions and a lot of memories that I hadn't necessarily thought of in a while.

The images of the children arriving at the school and happily running around could have been images of me and my friends...outwardly looking like a normal, happy group of children and yet with the reality being otherwise. Our lives were also ruled by the bells, either at the dorm or the school. I remember a girl wetting her dress in class because the teacher ignored her request to go to the bathroom. I remember vomiting at least once in a classroom because of the same issue...I had low blood sugar issues and sometimes the nausea came on fast around mid-morning, but it would have been unthinkable for me to just have gotten up and left for the bathroom without permission.

When I was first in the dorm, we did not have a fall vacation so did not see our parents from August to December...I remember forgetting a little what my parents looked like or what it felt like to be in our family. Later we did have fall breaks, which helped. We spoke to our parents for 15 minutes every week; since there were three of us, we each had 5 minutes. It was awkward as we knew the entire field was listening in on our conversations, as was the radio lady, who was rather imposing to us kids.

I wouldn't say that my experience was one of such harsh punishment, however, others may have had that experience. It was a strange mix of structure and yet lack of supervision at times...sometimes we were micro-managed and yet I also developed a strong independence of sorts. For example, I remember scraping my ankle on the basketball court, but I don't remember going to anyone for medical help, I remember just treating it myself even though it was seriously infected. I had some sulfa powder that my dad gave me and it eventually healed.

Later, as I began to process the effects of years spent in the dorm, I began to realize that I had developed the belief that I was on my own, that life was up to me...I had control issues because I was afraid to let go fearing that if I did, life would somehow fall apart. I am still processing the effects of my upbringing and am thankful that God has been willing to come into those places so I can find healing. He is faithful.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:12 pm 

I have not been able to get past the first few seconds of the trailer for All God's Children. I got very emotional and had to turn it off.

The film will be screened at the MKSN conference next month.

That will be me, sitting in the dark in the back row trembling, clutching my box of tissues.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:21 pm 

Raz, I needed quite a few tissues, too...