[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - ::PLEASE DON'T COMMENT:: This is My Story about Gary Earl

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:29 pm 

Post subject: from ROCK
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:05 am 

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:21 am 

Hi, there! I thought I'd post an update tonight....

All communication with NTM has been posted; I haven't heard more from them, and since 2008, I have not heard from anyone at NTM headquarters except for Brian Coombs. I welcome the executive committee to begin a dialogue with me - yes, I probably will post it, since I've created this open book, but I'll be transparent as well.

According to the latest email I received from Brian Coombs (posted in this thread), Gary still has not been terminated by New Tribes Mission (they only forced him to resign), and he is still in Papua New Guinea, on the NTM Numonohi base. On April 2, 2014, 6 days ago, Brian Coombs, NTM, wrote that Gary would be leaving PNG "shortly."

We verified that NTM contacted the supporting churches, and they did. We also verified that he will not be working with children at the ROCK International ministry, and he will not.

---------------------------

I have received over two hundred emails, texts, Facebook comments, and messages in support. Thank you! Some of you shared your stories with me, and I'm humbled by your trust in me. I hope you will trust others as well, and share your stories openly. It has been a healing process for me, and it has shed light on hidden sin that needed to be exposed.

I'm most encouraged by the many messages and emails I have received from within New Tribes Mission. You're courageous. I hope you will see the changes you seek from the executive committee.

I have received only one negative message so far. The negative message didn't contain any questions, but was full of accusations that I'm unforgiving, bitter, consumed, and destroyed. In case her message represents that of others, I once again invite you to get to know me through my , , and personal/ . It would be difficult to live our happy little quiet life on a Gulf Coast riverbank, if I were destroyed. And it is because I am not destroyed, that I can share my story. It is for the ones who are nearly destroyed that I write.

I have so very much to lose in sharing such a personal, and painful story. The cost has been honestly high, to me and to my family. I hope that New Tribes Mission will handle other cases of child abuse in a fair, honest, and swift manner in the future. I do not want others to have to go through this - it should not have been my task to expose Gary Earl and NTM. This is not a burden that should be placed upon an abuse survivor.

Through others, I have heard two questions that have been asked. Maybe you've wondered, too, so here are my replies:

1) Didn't Gary say he's sorry? My answer: In 2008, New Tribes told me Gary wrote an apology letter; I have not received it to date. But I do not believe Gary is truly sorry - truly repentant. Let's use NTM's cookie analogy as an example: When I suspect that my child has "stolen" a cookie, I do not say, "You stole a cookie." Instead, I ask, "What were you doing in the kitchen?" Confession is necessary for true repentance. Wouldn't you agree? It is not enough to say, "You stole," and then hear the child say, "Sorry" once he is caught. We instinctively know that the unremorseful child who gets away with dishonesty will be the child more likely to commit shoplifting. Gary has not confessed to all that he has done - I am stating a fact and I stand upon this fact. Ask him, "What were you doing in the kitchen? In the dorms? On the base?" See if he confesses to all that he has done. Only then can we hope to hear his repentance.

2) People change, right? Yes, people do change in many ways in 20-30 years. I have absolutely changed since 10 years old! However, since I believe child abuse is an addictive behavior, an unrepentant child abuser is a danger to all children. The first step to overcoming an addiction is confession (see #1). This is my opinion after studying psychiatric-mental health nursing and working in a mental health hospital. This is also the opinion of my counselor brother. You'll have to come to your own conclusion in this.

Now I have a question for you: When you ask, "Didn't Gary say he's sorry? Don't people change?," are you implying there should be no consequences? The Bible has countless examples of consequences for even the truly remorseful.

I remain firm in my resolve to see that Gary does not hurt other little girls. We have a beautiful, happy, innocent little girl who is the age I was when Gary abused me. She daily reminds me that all little girls should be happy and innocent. She reminds me that little girls deserve to be protected.

I also remain firm in my resolve that New Tribes needs to listen to the Holy Spirit more than to the lawyers. No, you did not commit the crimes. But you do represent the mission that employs the abuser. Distance from those who did the abuse, offer your ear and your kindness to the MKs, and allow the survivors to guide you in changes you should make to protect other missionary kids.

If you have any questions or comments, please reach out to me. I have bared my soul in these pages; I have nothing to hide, and I would love the opportunity to connect with you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:37 pm 

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:01 am 

It has taken some time, but I have been able to receive a few answers to my questions:

1. [NTM] told me Gary would be leaving PNG "shortly." Has he left PNG yet? I'm sure the letters to NTM would decrease if they would give us confirmation he has left Numonohi.

NTM's answer:Gary has left PNG. I wrote you on 4/2/14 saying it would be “shortly” and Gary was off field on 4/3/14 PNG time from what I understand.

My own research: I believe Gary Earl arrived in California on April 21st.

2. [Is NTM] planning on retroactively terminating Gary? Their policy changes make it clear that dismissal is what they will do with abusers.

NTM's answer: At this time, we are not planning on changing Gary’s status. Our records show that he was forced to resign, and he was, this was allowed by our NTM USA Policy manual. I realize that not all of our policy were in line, this has been corrected.

3. Where is the apology letter [written by Gary Earl to me in 2007] and why won't [NTM] allow me to have it? Coombs gave me his word I would have it. Bing Hare gave me his word in 2008 that I could have it anytime I asked for it. He said it would be filed under his name, as it was sent to him.

NTM's answer:I did tell you that I would get you your story as you sent it and also the letter. I am having a difficult time getting this letter to you. I am still working on it. As you have written, the letter was written to Bing. This presents a problem because the letter is not written to you. I am still working on the permissions that I need to have to be able to send this to you. I make no promise on being able to accomplish this but will continue to try.

4. May I please have my full investigative report? NTM is the one who gets to say if I can or cannot have it. Pii cannot decide this for their client, NTM. Others have received theirs. I would like mine, so I know what Gary said, and what the witnesses said.

NTM's answer: To address your understanding from Pii regarding the investigative file, the issue is not whether or not we want to give you access. The Pii report is not being released due to confidentiality restrictions. The process that was agreed upon, and presented to all those interviewed, was that all material and interviews would be held in confidence and not be released to any one individual. Therefore, we are unable to release the investigative report. The process did include a system wherein each identified victim would receive a summary of the investigation and I believe you received a copy.

My response (emailed April 28 - so far unanswered by NTM): The confidentiality reason is confusing to me - the investigation was done on my behalf, right? Or was it not done on my behalf, but on behalf of someone else? For Gary? For NTM? If the investigation was done on my behalf, then why may I not have access to it? I'm not trying to be difficult, but I actually can't understand what is confidential about the report, especially, what is confidential to the victim.

Maybe you are wondering why I'm interested in the report. This is why: I want to know what Gary said about the abuse, I want to know what the victims said about the abuse. I want to know how much was actually investigated (two of my own brothers were not contacted). It would help me with closure to read my report. I want to understand why Pii said "confirmed physical misconduct" and why NTM said Gary should be retired. I know that another received her full Pii report as well as the summary of her Pii investigation. So, it is not unprecendented for a victim to receive their report.

Post subject: Apology Letter
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:05 pm 

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:32 pm 

You're a brave woman . . .he remains despicable.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:33 pm 

Persistence wins out!

Hoping you are making advances in the process of healing and that you have many opportunities to reach out to others who are suffering.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:57 pm 

Anything new?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:12 pm 

I was going through old blog posts, and one of them made me think of this forum, so I thought I'd drop in on y'all. I've meant to post an update for a long time - forgive me for putting this on the back burner. It was one of the most exhausting and spiritually draining actions of my life to post my story here. The effect of it lasted for years. I'm thankful still that I did it, as I firmly believe darkness is required for evil to thrive -- I will always shine a light on it when I see it.

There were other victims of Gary's - one of them is who contacted me in 2014 and through the horror of her story and the knowledge that he could continue to hurt children, I could no longer be silent with my (much lesser) abuse. I thought she would come forward at some point, at least anonymously, but she did not choose to do so. That's her choice, and I know it's a hard choice, but as a result of her silence and the silence of others who know what he's done, and as a result of New Tribes Mission's lack of consequences for Gary: I've been told he's back in a ministry position.

As a result of the silence of so many, and as a direct result of New Tribe's lack of consequences for abusers, Gary has also been able to smear me and my reputation as a high schooler to his family, extended family, loyal NTM friends of his, and to his supporters. We first learned of this from a pastor at a supporting church of his, later from an anonymous letter, and later again from a family member. He says I am a chronic liar and have been since I was a child. He also says I'm just angry with him because he caught me with a boy (engaged in exactly what you're imagining) in the laundry room of the dorm.

(Gary, mind giving us the name of the boy? Name him. Let us know who so we can ask him to verify your story.)

But there is no boy; there was no laundry room incident. Even if there was, how exactly would that justify his actions to a 10-year-old girl? How does calling me a "chronic liar" clear him?

It no longer matters. People can either research his words or believe him.

Hearing that he was free to smear my reputation as a child, knowing NTM didn't plan on contacting Gary's supporters, realizing the other victims wouldn't come forward even anonymously, was ultimately so discouraging that I've wiped my hands of this story and moved on with my life, knowing I did all that I could possibly do to shed light on the truth.

And that's where I am now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next