MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:08 am 

Hi!

I recently came by these forums in search of information about the New Tribe Mission. I submit this post because I am concerned about my brother and his family.

They have always been strong in faith, and was introduced to the NTM by some missionaires they met during a church meeting.

This led to them attending a NTM school. At first I thought this was a exciting thing for them to doo. However, after the first year i have become more sceptical. I get the feel that NTM is very strict and preach a "extremist" version of faith. I feel that they are in a way forced to continue as going back to the normal life would be to live in sin. They haven't said that directly, but that is my feeling. For example the local missionary station isnt following the bible the correct way, they are doing it "wrong" I thought that any interpretation of the bible shouldn't be "wrong". I get these indications that NTM are living in their own world and that concerns me. Another example we heard from a NTM student during a local meeting: We were told that they was the saviours of people who haven't heard of god. They compared it with sitting in a plane that were about to crash. If you hadnt heard of god you didnt know about the parachute under the seat.

Does my bad feeling have any root in the real world? Should I be concerned? I am concerned that they are being drawn into this other world and leaving us behind since we aren't as strong in faith. He is my little brother and I feel that he is being manipulated to serve a mission that I haven't heard of before. In addition they have a beautiful little girl which is only 8 months old. When i read about the stories here I become even more afraid.

Any response would be very much appreciated!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:41 am 

Brother:

You are so right to be concerned!
Please read more on the main fandaeagles site and here on the forums if you have doubts.
The GRACE Report found that the leadership style of NTM had a key role in providing a climate that fostered the child sexual abuse and the cover-ups that ensued.
I am sure that others will affirm you and hold you up in prayer as you ask God for ways to warn your brother and his family.
Here is my recent post about the leadership issue:

Just a reminder of what GOOD leadership looks like and how it can become tainted:

“Remember your leaders who spoke the Word of God to you (biblically and not a skewed version.) Consider the OUTCOME OF THEIR WAY OF LIFE and imitate their FAITH….”
Hebrews 13:7

“Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. (Do some forget what follows here?)
They keep watch over you AS MEN WHO MUST GIVE AN ACCOUNT……..
Pray for us (Paul---a leader---says.) We are sure we have A CLEAR CONSCIENCE and DESIRE TO LIVE HONORABLY IN EVERY WAY…..”
Hebrews 13:17-18

And a review of the link on Media from T.J. Addington

http://leadingfromthesandbox.blogspot.com/2010/09/new-tribes-mission-faces-consequences.html

http://leadingfromthesandbox.blogspot.com/2010/09/questions-raised-by-new-tribes-mission.html

http://leadingfromthesandbox.blogspot.com/2011/07/leadership-in-crisis.html

http://leadingfromthesandbox.blogspot.com/2010/09/what-makes-for-healthy-ministry.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:49 pm 

Hey. Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. It's a sore subject--my parents finally retired from Brazil and now my brother and family are serving in Spain. So my response to your post was pure gut-level sorrow for the separation of your family. I'm tired of the "sacrifice." I would be worried about them joining NTM if I were you, but it sounds like their process is far along. As far as your niece/nephew, I would pray, a lot. And I would stay busy in their lives, nosy even. Be someone they can talk to. They'll need you.