MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: People leaving NTM
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:58 pm 

I know those of you out there who are not members of NTM don't know some of the stuff that is happening on the inside.
In light of that, I wanted to let you all know that people ARE leaving New tribes.

My family and I recently resigned our position as missionaries of NTM. Two other families from our field also resigned within
the last couple of months. I do not know about other fields. They are not leaving in droves, but at least SOME are leaving.
I do not say all this to get a pat on the back, please don't take it that way. I just want to let everyone know that
there are those within NTM who are fed up and doing something about it.

Post subject: Re: People leaving NTM
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:41 pm 

Thanks for letting us know Ajax. So glad you posted. This forum has had many crazy twists and turns--one of the benefits for me has been hearing about the mission field from adult perspectives (who aren't speaking in church.). I left when I was 17, and went back briefly three times to visit. Anyway, we would love to get to know your thoughts and hopefully be a support for you and your family. Can't think of much we haven't discussed, so bring it on. The feelings of betrayal, abandonment, rejection, are common bedfellows, but also hope and dare I say freedom.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:54 pm 

Thanks for posting, Ajax. Not to put you on the spot, but I do wish I knew more. Does your resignation have anything to do with the issue of MK abuse? Or is it the spiritual abuse? Or neither? I am just interested to know more, because resigning from NTM is nothing new, really ... there has been a steady stream of people leaving NTM out the back door as others come in the front door, for my entire life.

Just curious about your post and wondering if anything we have discussed on this site has influenced you in any way. Because you are right. Those of us who are now "on the outside" don't know much about what's going on in the mission.

You are so welcome here! Feel free to say as much -- or as little -- as you like!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:28 am 

Ajax, I applaud you and all ex-NTMers who have left the mission for conscience sake. I know personally how difficult and costly that decision can be. Thank you for posting here. That encourages me!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:33 pm 

It has been about five years since we resigned from NTM. At that time the seven-year average attrition rate within NTM was 77 per year. This did not include retirement. The main reasons given for leaving the mission and the percentages of specific “Problems” are listed below:

Husband/wife/family relationships - 22.34 %
Finances - 7.87 %
Transfer to ministry outside of NTM - 13.20 %
Transferred to different occupation - 23.60%
Total of these reasons - 67.01%

As can be observed disagreements with NTM policies were not listed as a major issue according to this study…

According to the “Projected Annual Average Percentile Graph” the attrition rate for 2011 is supposed to be about
80… It would be interesting to know what the numbers really are at this time…

The average retirement was 40 per year for the same period mentioned above.

The source of this information was secured from the NTM website at the time of our resignation…
with Larry Brown’s name attached to it…