MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: All God's Children
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

If anyone is interested in seeing the film documentary, "All God's Children", it will be streaming live, here: http://www.youtube.com/GHWP on May 19th.

"Through the eyes of three families, the documentary All God’s Children (70 minutes) tells the personal story of the first boarding school for children of missionaries to be investigated for abuse at the hands of the parents’ missionary colleagues. The survivors and parents share their journey of seeking justice, redemption and healing.

While the American parents were stationed in remote outposts throughout West Africa, their children - starting at the age of 6 - were required to attend the Christian and Missionary Alliance (C&MA) boarding school in Mamou, Guinea. Cut off from their parents and without any reliable means of communication, the children quietly suffered from the abuse by the all-missionary staff. It took the children decades to acknowledge the effects the gross mistreatment had on their lives. When they finally dared to speak out, the C&MA denied all allegations and refused to help. But through years of persistent activism the survivors and their parents finally compelled the C&MA to conduct an investigation and acknowledge the abuses. The healing could begin."

Post subject: Re: All God's Children
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:57 pm 

I still haven't been able to bring myself to watch the copy I bought last year....

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

It might be good, Shadowspring, to wait until you feel you can handle it. It's very, very heavy.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:45 pm 
Site Admin

I can attest to its impact. I always considered my situation as "abuse lite" and therefore arrogantly plowed right into the movie. Now, I'm having trouble breathing.

It is a wonderful film - very powerful.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:14 pm 

I had heard how horrific the Mamou story was, but hadn't seen the video until this afternoon. I watched it online at the youtube link that Bonnie had posted. By the way, just scroll down your screen a bit after Part 1 finishes, and you will see the link to Part 2 and so on. I didn't figure that out until I'd spent a good deal of time trying to find the "right" Part 2 on the right of the screen. That way, you'll see the whole documentary, not just the "snippets" posted previously. It was just posted today, in 10 parts.

Anyway, I had heard how horrific it was, but I wasn't prepared to feel the same way as I did reading the GRACE report- I was NOT surprised by what they had endured. It was all too familiar. Much the same as what happened at my school and others. I was surprised to find myself identifying with the pain they felt, and feel to this day, as a result of being abandoned by their parents and facing abuse by those entrusted to care for them.

The video is VERY well done. The MKs who participated in the interviews spoke from the heart, and I could relate in so many ways. Sadly, the end to their fight for justice leaves MUCH to be desired, as I fear this fight will. Still, it is a powerful testimony to the healing power of "truth telling," as one lady called it. None of the perpetrators faced prison time, or any real consequence, but the MKs found healing in speaking out about what happened to them. In turn, their story inspires us, and it spreads awareness about the effects of abuse on the life of a child. Hopefully THAT will lead to more safeguards in place for future generations of MKs and children in our churches.

I had read elsewhere on this forum regarding a site called mksafetynet. I was not aware that this organization was set up by the MKs from Mamou.

Check it out. Keep a box of tissues handy, though. You'll need it.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:51 pm 

Just watched it, and still processing stuff . . .still finding out and putting together pieces of my life--in a lot of ways I feel that I still haven't found my voice, thanks for letting me practice on you . . .this is only the tip of the iceberg, my friends.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:27 am 

Just finished watching the film last night. It's still haunting me. This sounds terrifyingly similar to what the fanda eagles experienced. As more investigations are done I would not be surprised to see the same things occurring over and over again. I'm still processing too. I was so mad to read at the end that nothing had really been done to any of the people who were accused of abuse and in fact the one guy who repeatedly, violently raped Beverly Shellrude Thompsons sister is still with the C & MA. They say they can't do anything about it, that's bullshit.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:01 pm 

I also watched it last night and felt such a combination of sadness and anger. Unfortunately, there are too many "Uncles" and "Aunts" out there still today who are wounding children and getting away with it.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:23 pm 

I thought it was intriguing how the one victim to this day can't stand hymns---God has given the old music back to me in the last few months. In addition to refusing to speak Portuguese when I got to Cuiaba, I also refused to go near a piano again. Mom and dad had paid for 4 years of lessons before we got to the field, it was important to them. So that was one way I could say, "why, things are different now." Anyway this fall after 30 years, I asked for a keyboard for Christmas--I've had a lot of fun playing the old hymns.

But one thing I can't stand is when a man stands up to pray in a portentous upright manner. I know that that's not really fair, but my skin crawls.

Yes, a lot of that movie was way too familiar

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:30 pm 

http://wheatonbible.org/avms.asp
Message for 5/22/2011 Week 4 of present series (audio or dvd)

A survivor of child sexual abuse tells his story. A very adamant advocate of the church standing up and taking notice/ doing something about stopping it and helping people heal. The church: a place where it is commonly overlooked and often not even mentioned. He says it’s time to change.

I saw this on the main site and on media. It's worth a look.