[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - If you would like to introduce yourself

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

Here is a nice, quiet spot to do it. New members, or not-so-new members who may be anxious about jumping into the middle of a topic, welcome. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:22 am 

I fear that many readers do not feel comfortable about sharing their comments if the comments don`t seem to be consistent with has been expressed already.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:54 pm 

Maybe people would be open to stating a few things about themselves which are fairly non threatening like how often they visit the site. In the lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, transgendered world, LGBT, they simply say member, family member or supporter.

I visit daily and am a supporter.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:53 pm 

On second thought maybe family member and supporter would be less revealing than three choices. Feel free to come up with something else, like prayer warrior. It would be nice to know who of the 248 members are real people who read the forum. Oh I know, in 12 step groups when you don't want to share they say pass. How about our real live members just saying pass.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:11 am 
Site Admin

I'm glad you're here, Clark Kent.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:16 am 

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:10 pm 

This is my second post. In my first post I said I am only interested in the truth. I am not an MK but know and have many friends that were MKs. I guess the horror of the situation is that this went on in a religious organization. Since I went to a public high school I could tell you the horrors that exist there also; from sodomy on. It would be good for parents to take note of that also. Some who have grown up outside of the USA might not be aware of these things. I think two articles that I googled up show some of the present day problems in the schools.

Quote from http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/08/24/opinion/main1933687.shtml

"The 2002 Department of Education report estimated that from 6 percent to 10 percent of all students in public schools would be victims of abuse before graduation — a staggering statistic.

Yet, outside the Catholic Church, the reaction is increasingly accommodation instead of outrage."

---
A quote from a 2007 article - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/21/AR2007102100144.html

"An Associated Press investigation found more than 2,500 cases over five years in which educators were punished for actions from bizarre to sadistic.

There are 3 million public school teachers nationwide, most devoted to their work. Yet the number of abusive educators _ nearly three for every school day _ speaks to a much larger problem in a system that is stacked against victims.

Most of the abuse never gets reported. Those cases reported often end with no action. Cases investigated sometimes can't be proven, and many abusers have several victims.

And no one _ not the schools, not the courts, not the state or federal governments _ has found a surefire way to keep molesting teachers out of classrooms."

Sexual abuse is not exclusive to NTM, the Catholic church, or other religious organizations. It is much worse outside of religious organizations. April 1, 2010 article: http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/archive/ldn/2010/apr/10040101

"In the last several weeks such a quantity of ink has been spilled in newspapers across the globe about the priestly sex abuse scandals, that a casual reader might be forgiven for thinking that Catholic priests are the worst and most common perpetrators of child sex abuse.

But according to Charol Shakeshaft, the researcher of a little-remembered 2004 study prepared for the U.S. Department of Education, "the physical sexual abuse of students in schools is likely more than 100 times the abuse by priests."

All of this is not to downplay any abuse carried on by any religious organization, but to bring to light that no matter where you live there is a high chance of being sexually abused as a child in whatever school context you are in.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:24 pm 

Another revealing article: http://www.examiner.com/populist-in-indianapolis/sexual-abuse-allegations-u-s-indiana-public-schools-unreported-unpunished

"In 2009 the Star prevailed in federal court when Lawrence Schools refused to release agreements it signed in four sexual abuse cases in which the district allowed the teachers to resign, guaranteed secrecy, and also paid them. In two of these cases, school officials promised they would not give any details about the resignations to future employers."

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:05 pm 

Yes hello, I've posted before but figured I'd say "hi". I'm a former NTM MK. In keeping with Mr. Kent's suggestion, I visit the forums weekly for an hour or so of catch-up, and I'm a supporter.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:21 pm 
Hello all...

I think I'm in just about all of Clark Kent's categories...

I am a former NTM MK; my parents have not been with NTM since 1994, when I was 14.
I am a victim/survivor of a pervert dorm dad, and am also a relative.
I pray like crazy for those who post, and for those who do not.
I ask hard questions.
I am about to complete training at the MTC, and will become an NTM member next month.

As a quick reply to geminale's observations above about NTM's "it's up to us" mentality... I can remember that vividly as a kid. I grew up thinking that the purpose of the church was to financially support NTM missionaries, and that missionaries with other agencies were second-rate at best, and might not even be saved (and probably were not...). I imagine there's still some of that thinking around the world among the 'old guard,' but one of the things I have been most pleased with in my time at MTC is the lack of that attitude in the training. It has actually been the opposite - we've seen promotional videos from other mission organizations in chapel; we've got a couple in training here that are serving with another organization; I've heard instructors talk about the successes and good things done by CMA and Conservative Baptist missionaries in the areas they served at...I could go on and on about this.
Like I said, I'm sure some of that arrogance is still around - many of the folks I remember from my childhood are still with NTM. But I do see a concerted effort in the training to remind the future NTM-ers that NTM is not mentioned in the Bible even once...the church is. We serve the Lord and we serve the Church. The Church does not serve NTM. The Church is the Bride...NTM is at best merely a bridesmaid.
NTM is a big ship, slow and cumbersome, and resistant to change in many ways. But I do see humility, godliness, and integrity in the MTC leadership and in the guys on the EB that I know. They're not perfect by any means, and they're in a bad place here as they turn on the fans and start dumping in the poop from the past abuses, coverups, screwups, etc. They've made some mistakes, but I've seen them own up to those mistakes, take the heat, and then get back to work to do their best before the Lord to do the right thing.