[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - Are boarding schools healthy?

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:26 pm 

I know that's how it was when I was growing up. There was a lot of pressure. Since the field was setting up a school and putting personnel there, you had to support it by sending your kids there. It seems like when the decision was made to set up a school, parents (and even those who weren't parents yet) vowed to support it by sending their kids there and they took that vow seriously. Supporting the system was most important, not supporting the family, and somehow one believed you were doing the best for your kids by abandoning them with strangers. Incredibly sad how Satan really blinded the parents minds into thinking it was good!

We were overseas with NTM for awhile in the late 80s and in the 90s. I have to say, in the region where we served, we honestly did not feel pressure to put our kids in school, ever. We were strongly supported as home schoolers. I think it was largely due to the attitude of the school staff, who were extremely supportive and the leadership being supportive of us. I know other regions in the same country were not the same, and there was pressure to use the school and send your kids away, so I am very thankful we served where we did.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:48 pm 

D&O,

Agree with you that no one signed up for what NTM eventually led them to do or how to think. The "system" took on a life of its own. The "system" has no conscience, feelings, morality, heart. People have those things. However, people can become part of the "system" gradually bit by bit. The "system" can take the place of one's conscience if one is not careful. Groupthink can be a dangerous thing when it leads down the wrong path.

Once an NTMer is made aware of the wrongness of the "system" the NTMer either takes a stand or continues to be part of the "system". Some, well meaning NTMers have even tried to change the "system" form within to no avail.

The answer is to dismantle the entire "system" and rebuild from the ground up using Biblical principals of transparency, grace, love, truth, true leadership etc.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:15 pm 

Sounds like a cult. Lucky it hasn't turned out like Peoples Temple, Solar Temple, Heaven's Gate, Branch Davidians (Waco), or The Family International.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:34 pm 

Thank you, sir ornery!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:36 pm 

I've been away for a few weeks and am reading some of the new input. I'm going to ask 2 questions I've always had, Why would anyone, after growing up in NTM or any mission for that matter to my way of thinking, go back to it when they were an adult? People tell stories of being mistreated as kids then going back to be mistreated as adults. I don't understand.

And why do people look back at boarding school days like the high time of their lives? Over the years people have asked me, 'Do you go to Via to visit?' "Not unless the devil took me'. Why would I want to go back to a place where I was mistreated and disrespected? It makes no sense. I sometimes wonder if we went to the same school.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:46 pm 

An experiment was done with 2 groups of dogs. Both groups were subjected to severe electric shock. The first group, the kennel gate was left open, and they were allowed to escape, and the second group had no escape.

After repeated electric shocks, the second group was allowed to escape, but did not even try. Not even with the gate open.

An elephant, while it is young, will be chained at the ankle All of its infant life, it is chained. As an adult, that same elephant can be chained with just a piece of string tied around the ankle.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:10 pm 

Advice to NTM: GET RID OF ALL YOUR BOARDING SCHOOLS!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:36 pm 

I've posted a list of ideas for changes to boarding schools that might be of interest. See http://fandaeagles.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=555&p=5133#p5133. If the link doesn't work for some reason, it's in the "A Proactive Suggestion Box" thread (under Miscellaneous).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:54 pm 

interesting link someone just sent me...

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2011/january/3.12.html

So many people have realized that boarding schools are not healthy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:29 am 

here's another interesting article... http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/1998/april27/8t5016.html that goes to more proof that there are those (pedophiles and other horrible "people") who look for opportunities where they can be in control and can keep their life of sin somewhat private.

Our hearts ache for all who have suffered abuse, no matter who they are or where it happens. In a Christian community, it should NOT happen! However, we know the enemy of our souls will do all in his power to destroy children in Christian circles who are the potential future church. If he can just destroy them and keep them bitter then he has won those individual battles.

However, Praise God we have "read the last chapter" and we know WHO wins. That means that in the mean time we all have to keep our focus on Him and recognize who the enemy is. And remember that Greater is HE who is in us than he who is in the world! The gates of hell WILL not prevail...

We pray often that MKs who have suffered such horrible abuse will continue to find true healing and reflect the Love of Christ to those around them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next