[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - Spiritual abuse, shame, guilt, grace, forgiveness...

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:07 pm 

What do you think of this quote by Martin Luther King Jr.?

“We shall match your capacity to inflict suffering by our capacity to endure suffering. We shall match your physical force with soul force. Do to us what you will, and we shall continue to love you. Throw us in jail, and we shall still love you. Bomb our homes and threaten our children, and we shall still love you. Send your hooded perpetrators of violence into our community at the midnight hour and beat us and leave us half dead, and we shall still love you. But be assured that we will wear you down by our capacity to suffer. One day we shall win freedom, but not only for ourselves. We shall so appeal to your heart and conscience that we shall win you in the process, and our victory shall be a double victory.” (from Strength to Love)

I am so longing to see a double victory. Keep on keeping on, all you brave people who are standing up and speaking up for what is right. Praying for your “soul force” today.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:42 pm 

LIKE!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:22 am 

http://emergingfrombroken.com/spiritual ... and-shame/

Spiritual Abuse; When the name of God is used to Guilt and Shame

I get really angry when I think about the degree of spiritual abuse that is ‘out there’ and how victims are preached LIES about right and wrong and how the name of GOD is used to back up those lies. It upsets me that the name of God is used to guilt and shame abuse victims and survivors into staying silent. This is such a common tactic that controlling people use, it makes me sick.

Take the forgiveness directive for example and how people insist that blind forgiveness is what God would want us to do; even on the EFB facebook page people post daily that forgiveness is the solution to healing from child abuse and that jumping straight to forgiveness is for the victim’s freedom without ever considering that forgiveness in most of the cases WE are referring to, is towards perpetrators and offenders who DENY that they have ever done anything wrong. Here in Emerging from Broken we are not talking about people who are sincerely sorry for what they have done and are asking for forgiveness and making the effort to stop causing harm. We are talking about people who either say that they didn’t do it, OR they stand behind their entitlement for doing it and they don’t want forgiveness NOR are they willing to repent or stop doing the abusive things that are doing. In this way, by being taught that forgiveness for those types of perpetrators is a solution, victims of child abuse (and even ongoing abuse, disrespect and devaluing treatment on into adulthood) are further invalidated and re-abused.

Often times, when victims of abuse perpetrated by a family member or close friend try to talk about what happened to them, they are told to “get over it” or “forgive and forget” and a whole host of other little sayings designed to make the victim feel bad about talking. And not just to feel bad about ‘talking’ about it, the victim ends up feeling bad about what happened to them as if it was something he or she did wrong to attract it in the first place and even believing that their ‘feelings’ about it are unfounded.

Talking about what happened to me is not “negative.” Talking about it doesn’t bring shame on the survivor of the abuse, the Church or on the name of Jesus Christ. It brings shame on the ABUSER or PERPETRATOR of the CRIME. And that is as it should be.

Can you imagine Jesus Christ looking down on a little child and telling him or her they need to get over it? Can you picture God advising a child (or an adult child survivor) to ‘forgive and forget’ even before the abuse has been validated, soothed, bandaged and wept over and while the perpetrators are STILL denying that they did something wrong? Do you think that Jesus Christ, God, or whatever type of spiritual power you follow would want these manipulative people and the perpetrators of so much pain and emotional harm walk away without being exposed and if need be charged and convicted? Who would worship THAT god, the god who would be on the side of the abuser? What kind of higher power would suggest that the abusive person in the relationship should NOT be exposed? What kind of loving god would suggest that abuse should be covered up?

What kind of spiritual guru would advise children to suck it up and take it adding that it is ‘for their own good or brought on by the child’ and then when that child is grown up would advise the now adult child to forget about it or tell the adult child that it happened a long time ago as if that has something to do with why we should keep it a secret. What kind of GOD would want this kind of stuff covered up?

What kind of loving being would not care to put a stop to the abuser by exposing him or her?

What kind of “Creator” or spiritually enlightened entity OR individual would teach that telling, exposing or talking about abuse is a negative thing to do? Why would a healthy loving leader want the abusers to get away with the crimes they have committed thus enabling them to repeat the offence? What kind of spiritual entity would want victims and survivors of painful upbringings, domestic violence, sexual abuse, neglect and emotional abuse to BE QUIET for the sake of protecting the people who did this harm to them in the first place.

What about the saying “They did the best they could.” Would it make sense to you if someone said to you “forgive him for sexually abusing you, after all, he did the best he could.” I don’t think that God or any Spiritual Power of the Universe would agree that this sexual offender was ‘doing the best he or she could.”

It is this kind of thinking and victim blaming that leads survivors of abuse and victims of abuse to come to the conclusion that GOD let the abuse happen. It is this kind of thinking that keeps victims and survivors STUCK in the low self-esteem that resulted from the damage caused by the devaluing and sometimes dehumanizing treatment that we were subjected to in the first place.

To the people that quote the Bible even the Bible says that we have to follow the law of the land, so why would family or friends of family be exempt from the law?

Think about it; the people who want our silence are people that are afraid of being caught because they KNOW that what they are doing is wrong but their entitlement issues are bigger than their knowledge of right and wrong and they have taught a whole society to believe that talking about this stuff is ‘wrong’.

Abusive, controlling, entitled people and the people who are afraid of them will say almost anything to get you to shut up. They will label you as angry, hateful and unforgiving if you decide to stand up to them and they ways that they regard you. I want to shout at them and to the ones that defend them ~ “What do you think I am angry about???” Anger is justifiable in this situation! It isn’t hateful to stand up for yourself. I had to really think about these things in order to realize the truth about it all. Being labeled as unforgiving because I spoke up for myself towards people that don’t want forgiveness and don’t even admit that they did something that requires forgiveness is baffling to me and when I saw it through new eyes, it didn’t matter what they said anymore; I don’t buy it anymore. I don’t own that shame or guilt that isn’t mine to carry anymore. I gave it back to them. I don’t believe that I am unforgiving or that my anger is misplaced. I am not hateful, I am not fragile, I am not crazy, guilty or vengeful and I don’t believe any of those titles that were given to me when I was under the spell and fear of abusive, controlling and manipulative people. And I certainly don’t believe that a God of love would EVER defend the abuser over the one abused.

I believe in what is best. I believe that Love is about what is best for all, and I will never believe that covering up for abusers and perpetrators of abuse is ever best for anyone. Not even for them.
Please share your thoughts on this very controversial subject. Remember that you may choose any name you wish to in the comment form and your identity will always be kept private and although Emerging from Broken has a facebook page, the comments left here are not posted on facebook.

Exposing Truth; one snapshot at a time,
Darlene Ouimet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:43 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:33 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:25 pm 

That is very moving, indeed.

I am deeply touched in particular by this part:

"There is nothing like that (police officers) as an MK. There is no where to run. There is no one to care. There is no one to hear. There is truly absolutely no avenue of hope or help."

I think there are very few people who really, truly grasp this feeling. This includes people in NTM who wonder why some MK abuse survivors are so shattered by their experiences. Maybe these sentences written by Learning To Be a Survivor will help to clarify the feelings of isolation, hopelessness and helplessness that were a part of the childhood of some MKs. This is tragic trauma, of a depth that is quite unmeasurable.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:39 pm 

It is immeasurable and----to some---unbearable.
I am shattered. Reading this post
Of course, makes me think of our kids,
The MKs.
Each one felt this to some degree.
Each one to a different depth.
Help me understand!
It does help me--But
I want to block out the depth of the downside of our life
Too.
Is that where I have to go to understand?
Do I have that much courage?
These are new words
Explaining an old concept.
Words that shatter the way I had thought about it
Before.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:45 pm 

Thank you for copying this post from RNS, Bemused, written by Learning to Be a Survivor.

(http://boz.religionnews.com/2014/07/11/ ... sion-help/)

Perhaps this articulate, heartrending post also helps shed some light on the issue Paul Syson brought up recently, which is the fact that most of the writing here on Fanda Eagles is done by just a few people, and almost all of the 400 Forum members have gone silent.

Many of these 400 are NTM MKs, and many have in the past written some very passionate posts about their memories, their abuse, and their frustration.

I suspect that a lot of the silent ones can relate to the things written by Learning to Be a Survivor. It is so painful to remember, and when the retelling doesn't seem to have an impact on those with the power to do something about it, those old familiar feelings of helplessness and hopelessness easily take hold once again.

Many MK abuse survivors are adults in their 30s and 40s who are very busy just trying to hold their current lives together. Many have small children, are trying to keep the bills paid, and hoping not to neglect their loved ones in the way they themselves were neglected. Others go through cycles of despair, addiction, relationship struggles, and physical or emotional health concerns. It is all some MKs can do just to hold their fragile psyches together, let alone stay connected with other MKs who are in pain, and keep thinking, writing and crying over heartbreaking memories that feel like nightmares from a fuzzy past.

The silence does not surprise me. I get it.

But silence does not mean they aren't out there. Some are still reading. Some are not.

The fact remains that there are thousands of adults whose parents were members of New Tribes Mission, who as children and adolescents experienced varying levels of trauma, abuse, abandonment and neglect.

I know they are there.

And so does NTM.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:07 pm 

It felt very bad to me, being in a place where no one understood my language . . .i arrived on the mission field just shy of 11. I heard over and over how we kids would just "pick it up." But what I couldn't figure out was, how was I going to pick it up when everybody laughed at anything I tried to say? The worst thing in the world for me was being teased, or laughed at . . .so I refused to learn, as much as a quiet outwardly compliant girl could . . .even if I understood, I pretended like I couldn't . . .i smiled vaguely, I drew and rolled my eyes at my Portuguese teacher. My parents asked a young single female missionary to tutor me--I was so humiliated by this distinction that I tried sullenness out on her, and asked what the words for "divorce" and "broken family" were--they were the worst words my evil little mind could come up with . . .

I never would have learned except for a motherly Brazilian teenager at our church who shared her life with me, and helped me see myself as a separate and valuable human being. I felt safe with her . . .ironic, isn't it? We were supposed to be there to help them . . .what I felt from the Brazilians was love and understanding . . .from MK's and missionaries I felt judgement and ridicule.

Memories can be rotten.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:35 am 

If it's any consolation my Portugas is terrible, my Spinach isn't much beater and as for my Englosh, well I spit that reasonably fluidly. ;)

Seriously though, a learned friend was mentioning the topsey turvey way life has turned out this morning. Sometimes those who we do not expect to impact on our lives, do so in ways we least expect.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next