[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - You did Missionary work?

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: You did Missionary work?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:47 pm 

I will confess something here, to see if anyone else had the same feelings. When I was in high school and had just gotten back from Brasil we were sitting in church and the pastor was talking about how great it is to do missionary work. My heart was filled with pride, oh yes how it goes before a fall, over the fact that I had spent most my life traveling back and fourth from mission fields across the world. The pastor then asked for everyone who had done missionary work to please stand up. I really was expecting my family to be standing alone but when I stood up I noticed that a great number of people also stood with us. I was floored by this, what were they thinking? Then I realized that anyone who had ever did any typle of witnessing trip had stood up. The youth had traveled to the Bahamas to teach VBS for a week, some had gone to New York for VBS and others had done similar short trips. Here I was feeling pretty shorted as far as recognition went, how could they call that missionary work?

As a missionary kid I did not feel like I fit in anywhere. I was strange to the American kids, always saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. My clothes never were in style and I never owned the newest nicest things. My family was considered strange even to my family members who stayed in the states. Adding to that is the fact that my family did not stay on one field or with the same mission. We went from Africa to Bolivia to Brasil. Each time returning to the states for a while. So we would make friends on one field only to lose them when we moved onto the next. We would leave the states when one song was very popular and return a year later still wanting to sing it only to find out it had turned "uncool" months ago. We were not American enough for the kids here and we were "too American" in the eyes of the parents on the field. Bad influences on their children. Imagine how horrified a parent would be if their child hung out with someone who was singing a song where a boy actually kissed a girl! It is tough to fit in anywhere when you have no true identity.

My husband often told me, before all of this broke open, that I had lived a very sheltered life. In a way it is true, I will never fit in with the culture, and I will forever be saying the wrong thing. I can live for long periods of time without seeing any extended family whatsoever, and I feel the need to move about every three years. I love my family, my house, and my neighbors but when I look out my back window I find myself daydreaming of some foreign place far away. When I stir the fire in the fireplace sometimes the smell transports my brain to Africa and I am once again walking of a dirt road smelling the fires, or eating the fried dough, or the fries smothered in beef juice, but then in an instant I return to here and all I see is my fire in my house. I have questions as to if I will ever feel normal, like I belong, like I fit in. Will I ever be perfectly content to be where I am, or will I forever feel the pulling to travel around the world? If I did move overseas which country would I feel at home in? I have always longed, since I was a little girl, to make it back to Africa, but I have loved Bolivia and Brasil as well.

I was small in Africa but I can remember a lot from my time there. A lot of the shots as well, seeing as how my older sister and I would always run and hide when it was time to get more. In Brasil there was a series of rapes around the outside of our "Center" so the girls had to wait for a missionary boy to come and walk us wherever we needed to go for a while, which got very tiring. And in the Jungles of Bolivia one missionary family showed us their secret compartment in their house that they would have to quickly get open and hide if gorilas ever attacked the village they lived in. I had seen the movie "When things Seem Impossible" so I could only imagine having to be prepared for something like that. And here people were standing in my church because they had taught VBS for a week somewhere. I just did not get it...that is until I was older and realized that to serve God you did not have to be half way around the world. Serving God does not always require a malaria shot. The more I look around this land the more I realize we need more "home" missionaries. It seems as if we were so concerned with reaching the uttermost parts of the Earth that we forgot to look at ourselves and those around us to make sure we were right with God.

So for the ones on fire for God right now in the band at church, in the Sunday School Classroom, and the VBS programs I say thank you and I am proud to have you stand with me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:08 pm 

I am an "Army Brat." Like missionary kids, we moved a lot, always having to say goodbye to friends that it seemed we had just made. In fact, in those days, it was not unusual to start the school year in one school, only to end it two schools later.

After I got saved and found out what MKs were, I admired them. I admire them still. I admire the Fanda Eagles, and I admire you - all of you who have lived through things (good and bad) that I have not. You are so strong, in so many ways.

No true identity? Your identity is not only true, it is valuable. Your unique experiences equip you to see things through eyes that are atuned to life in a way that few others can even aspire to. You are you and you can speak to hearts that would look right past - right through - me.

Your "confession" is ample proof of how well placed that admiration is! Thank you for sharing with us!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:47 pm 

Wow reading your post reminds me so much of myself- I just turned 44 years old and I still don't say the right things at the right time( have primed my friends to know this is just how I am- no insults meant) I long for foreign countries, new experiences, different language, culture, scenery. I know who I am in Christ but still struggle with where I fit in. Some days the modern culture drives me so crazy I don't want to see anyone, talk to anyone, respond to anyone- if I do respond the "wrong" way then I have to explain myself. Being a third culture kid can be very uncomfortable sometimes but I would not trade the experiences I had for anything. It has helped me to have such a broader worldview and made me so grateful for even the smallest blessings in life.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:49 pm 

wow, glad to know that I am not the only one. I like your idea of warning friends ahead of time, maybe I should start doing that. Some friends have said "wow, you say the strangest things" right after I have said something, which just makes me feel awkward. I suppose I will not outgrow feeling awkward. I do the same thing you do too such as cutting myself off. I will have a time when I get out and chat it up with everyone making tons of friends and loving hanging out with people and then I will go through a couple months where I just want to board up my windows and keep to myself. I went through several of those phases while my husband was deployed. People started to worry about me, but I just wanted some quiet time to be left alone. I did recently have a friend tell me that no one that has ever had anything to do with NTM could be considered Normal, which is true except if everyone is not normal that would make us all normal at the same time. LOL

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:27 pm 

I so enjoyed reading this thread again, I wanted to bring it to the top so everyone can. Thanks, Denise! :)

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:55 pm 

Thanks Allbetter!
I missed it the first time around.