MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:27 pm 

jmg wrote:
Oh and I think, well at least I've heard through the grapevine that NTM is moving towards having a board of directors (non NTM members) that they answer to rather than only NTM members who are in authority. They are one of the only, if not THE only, agency whose authority is all within it's members.

Without pausing to wonder why this is coming through the grapevine instead of being on the home page of NTM, Inc., let's just hope it's true. It is overdue.

Here are some talking points:

The BoD should represent a wide range of abilities and experiences. Business, medicine, theology, education, law enforcement, and trades. They should be Christian who are in doctrinal agreement with NTM, Inc. (except for those areas where NTM is wrong!)

The BoD should have a minimum of ten members. A maximum of one professional Christian worker.

Women should be on the BoD. NTM, Inc. is NOT a church, so please do not bring in arguments based on biblical passages dealing with church leadership. I have seen capable women plumbers, doctors, business executives. . . the list is endless. NTM, Inc. has suffered by the exclusion of women who are qualified to lead on an organizational level.

The BoD should be allowed to search for qualified executives from outside NTM, Inc. It is fine if they, like current NTM leaders, are not salaried. That doesn't mean that they wouldn't be willing to serve.

Women should be among the executives of NTM, Inc. See earlier comments about biblical leadership.

Women should be on Field Committees. See earlier comments about bibilical leadership, and especially regarding whether or not NTM leaders are shepherds in a biblical sense.

NTM missionaries should be responsible to one another for spiritual concerns, and not try to mold everybody into the same shape under the guise of spiritual ministry.

NTM has tried really, really hard to do the wrong job - oversee their flock. When they find themselves making mistakes, they retrench and try even harder to do the wrong job. Until this stops, the cycle will repeat itself.

And, NO, my wife does not aspire to be on the BoD. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:09 pm 

I'm just musing ... I wonder how many fewer anguished posts we might be seeing on this forum from deeply wounded MK abuse survivors ... IF ... going all the way back to the 1970s, there had been wise, mature, Godly WOMEN on every field committee, school board, base committee, Executive Committee, Boot Camp Committee, Language School Committee, etc, etc.
Way back then, my husband was trying to speak up and suggest that ... I well remember him saying that women would make such a significant contribution to these groups who controlled everyone's lives and ministries. That they would bring a different perspective and they would be advocates for other women, families, children ...
Dear God, how different the ENTIRE picture might have looked, if we had included women in all these groups! But oh, no! That wouldn't be Scriptural! SAY WHAT????
Thanks for bringing that up, Gene! It sure resonates with me!!!
Duh!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:11 pm 

Yes, Monitor Person! PLEASE tell all those men I said that!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:48 pm 

I know I can not change things, but sincerely wish the "Dorm Dad" would have been a woman. :o

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:23 pm 

I believe that an unspoken concern which kept NTM from placing women on these boards and committees was that it might lead to immorality. Someone might "fall into sin".
Now THAT'S what you call irony.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:34 pm 

Raz wrote:
I ... I well remember him saying that women would make such a significant contribution to these groups who controlled everyone's lives and ministries. .....
Duh!!!

One of the changes it may have brought about would have been that the leadership was told to quit controlling everyone's lives!

Something the monitor person needs to suggest to the Executive Board is to ask the rank and vile members of NTM just exactly what are the most important functions/ services that NTM performs for them. There is a good chance that they will not say, "Controlling so many personal aspects of my life."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:13 pm 

Gene, I hope you meant "rank & file" rather than "rank & vile"!! :)

I would welcome women on a board of directors.
Wycliffe USA has women on their board of directors as well as their leadership team. Same is true for Pioneers. Etc. Etc.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:12 am 

jmg wrote:
Gene, I hope you meant "rank & file" rather than "rank & vile"!! :)

My face is all red! :oops:

In any case, NTM needs to determine what it can do to help the missionaries in the tribe, and do that. As a missionary in the tribe, I can think of many things that were done to help me, some of which are much more difficult to accomplish on my own. I can imagine a few more, ones that didn't apply to us here in Thailand. Here is a short list:

1. Handling finances

2. Handling visas/ immigration/ government issues

3. I always appreciated and valued consultants: culture, language/ linguistics, translation

4. Flight programs (none in Thailand, but I can envison how much this would help in other places)

5. Supply buying (our bookkeeper used to help with some of that, and it was priceless)