[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - Desiderata 2014

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Desiderata 2014
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:43 pm 

In my mistaken wisdom, I thought I'd have a few weeks doing something for myself, so I signed myself up for an adventure course, knowing that physically I would be pushed to the limit.
And indeed it came to pass that for 21 days and nights, this 50 year old frame was pushed to the very limits as it climbed steep mountains with an enormous pack, rowed a cutter for days, tented in the tail end of a cyclone, climbed sheer cliffs blindfolded and kayaked raging torrents. I still have the callouses and bruises to prove it, plus a set of muscles that I had previously been unaware of the existence of. All this culminated in a half marathon run on steepish tracks, which Bemused completed in a respectable time and faster than many people half his age.
What I didn't realise that a major component of the course was of a psychological nature, with long periods of exploring ones values and purpose in life. On paper not a bad idea, but the techniques used took me back to the MK years, especially when my utterances were being written down. Eventually I got tired of the mind games and started giving obscure but intelligent sounding answers which the instructors (who were half my age and had a lot less life experience me thinks) had no prepared script for, sort of what I did as an MK to avoid being emotionally exposed or broken.
Anyway part of the course was 3 nights and 2 days spent alone in the bush, in which we were supposed to discover amazing things about ourselves and go on to be wonderful citizens (actually that was the mantra of the whole experience, but when you've reached my decrepit vintage if you haven't figured much of what life is about, then you've left the run a bit late). One of the exercises was to create a "gift" for the group (the 8 other geriatrics I shared a bunk room with, every meal with and a total lack of privacy for the duration), so I wrote a poem (well what else would you expect Bemused to do :P ). It got a nice reception.
The last night of the course was concert night, where each group did an act of some description. Someone kindly asked if we could do the poem I'd written, so each of our group read a bit, while we sat round our simulated campfire. It got a very warm reception and will be published in the next book of wisdom, for future attendees to ponder the wisdom therein.
So I thought to myself, why not put this on Fanda Eagles. Feel free to comment, discuss, critique or ask questions :? :

Go placidly

Amidst the noise of life

Take on challenge

Avoid strife

Observe those around

Before ye speak

For sometimes true wisdom

Comes from the meek

Avoid those

With fine smooth tongue

For oft will find

They speak pure dung

Seek out the sincere

Who have humility

And those who use wisdom

To fly free

Fly free yourself

But remember the ground

For in its simplicity

Much good does abound

Appreciate beauty

That has soul

For looks deceive

When they are not whole

Convert not another

To your belief or thought

Unless you will change

What you also have been taught

Believe in your God

Or what you perceive

But not due to fear

If you do not believe

Walk with a child

Light up their way

Let them express doubts

And wipe tears away

Experience kindness

As a breath of fresh air

Celebrate those who

For you generously care

To those in hiding

In fear or dread

Give shelter from storm

A meal, a bed

Remember your enemies enemy

Can be a valued friend

Fight only for justice

Not war without end

Work hard, play fair

Relax between storms

Seek the solace of friends

Who your heart tenderly warms

Accept that there are those

Whose journey is bliss

Be not jealous

That they had what you miss

If it's that important

Then make it your goal

But adversity creates strength often

And a person more whole

Be others inspiration

By kind words or deed

Help those who are stuck

And struggle with need

But beware the selfish

Who in self pity thrive

For some will never move on

And only exist to survive

For they will exhaust you

Then move on like a leech

Not returning your kindness

When some crisis you reach

Give thanks for true friends

Who love warts and all

For genuine love frees

And helps one walk tall

Conquer loneliness

The best way you can

For it comes to most

When life goes not to plan

Fear not isolation

In small doses it's good

But if it goes on to long

Ask why there's no trees in the wood

Accept life is transient

Friendships sometimes fade

Circumstances change

Life is not staid

Aim to depart

To wherever you'll go

Having put more into life

Than you took from its flow

Aim to grow old

But live life fully each day

For mortality on earth

Is but a heart stop away

See others as fellow travellers

Each with their pack

Not placed in your world

To provide what you lack

For if you see the existence of others

Your needs to fulfil

You've missed the point

Of life's challenge and thrill

Dare to be different

Swim against the tide

Be a beacon of hope

Not just there for the ride

Be truthful in all you can

For lies compound

And laugh when you're able

For tears oft do abound

Let the inner child free

If your childhood was there

Help others find theirs

Who knew only despair

For the grass may appear greener

On other side of the fence

But closer inspection

Reveals weeds prickly and dense

But whatever your path

Alone or with friends

Live not just to exist

For on that, real life depends

Post subject: Re: Desiderata 2014
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:36 pm 

That is great, Bemused!

You've shared your wisdom through your well-crafted words often here on FE.

I am glad you got to share it with others also.

You have great things to say. And you say them well.

We missed you here.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:47 pm 

Oh my, there is so much in the poem. This is my verse

Let the inner child free
If your childhood was there
Help others find theirs
Who knew only despair

You are now absolved from being AWOL Bemused, just don't do it again :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:54 am 

FLY FREE!

Wonder where that thought came from? :D

It was a terrible thought
To think you were gone
Off somewhere forever
Singing your song
To someone else
Not to us
And the others
Who come along…….
Here.
So we're glad/ thrilled
Stilled at the thought
That those others
Benefited from your "You-ness"
Welcome back
Your Highness
Your Lowness
Your Fast-ness
Your Slow-ness!

We see why you were on the couch for so long!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:06 am 

Actually most of this poem had very little to do with my experience on my 3 week adventure and far more to do with the lessons and experiences of the last 3 years.

I spent a few days "on the couch" recovering from the experience and thinking about where I want to go with Fanda Eagles and the whole abuse scandal.
I'd had somewhat of a meltdown at one point on my adventure. While most of my colleagues found the physical challenges hard going and several broke down, it was the 2 days of doing someone elses garden that got to me and where Bemused uncharacteristically spat the dummy. It was called "service" and the explanation was that it was designed to teach us to be a helpful member of society. My view was this was fine for self centred teenagers, but we were a group of mature adults, some of whom had had more years of serving the community (one was a cop, I'm a nurse amongst other roles) than the tutors had been on this planet for. Complicating this was the fact I'd lost my huge garden in an earthquake and no one bothered to help and some stole from me as soon as my back was turned, so I felt aggrieved at working in someone elses garden on a course I'd paid good money to attend.
While I am generally a quiet individual, on this occasion I really made my feelings known.
Hence I spent a few days "on the couch" thinking about where the future path lay. I'm still thinking it through and hence this verse.

Aim to depart
To wherever you'll go
Having put more into life
Than you took from its flow

Not that I'm planning on departing to whatever lies beyond in the near future, but I felt drained emotionally by the events of the last 3 years and my involvement in them.

In the meantime, we do indeed fly free, or at least have that option if we choose it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:55 am 

:D :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:54 pm 

I feel this bond between those who have spoken up about abuse. We are afraid to lose someone we have connected with so deeply. Maybe it is a play back of abandonment. I have noticed even though we have one another because we seldom can connect with one another in person we still feel alone. Just thanks for each one of you who is here.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:58 pm 

And we are so very thankful to/for you, too, Shary!

Thanks for being and staying here.

:)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:05 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:24 pm 

Thanks for mentioning this verse. It's an old maxim, but one I've found to be very true of late.

Not that I'm versed in classifying people who don't agree with me as enemies, coming from a country that is not at war with anyone and tends to help keep world peace rather than engage in warfare.
But I've come to realise that those who abuse children and those who cover up the abuse are no friend of mine and to be honest I can see no reason for me to adhere to the other maxim, "hate the sin, but love the sinner", for I feel no compassion for those who stoop to such low levels and no sorrow when their world disintegrates at the hands of my new found friends in the law enforcement world. Even the ever compassionate Christ, wished such vile people a swift descent to the bottom of the ocean floor with the assistance of a millstone and if it was good enough for Him to do so, then it's fine by me to wish the same.