[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - News from the Australian Commission on child sex abuse

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:58 am 

Here's an article I saw today. It's the turn of the Salvation Army to answer difficult questions....might be you soon NTM. So many similarities.....

Salvation Army 'abused boys' (from Sydney Morning Herald,28/01/2014, Paul Bibby)

Young boys were locked in a cage for days on end as part of a brutal regime of physical and sexual abuse meted out to dozens of youngsters at Salvation Army homes in the 1950s, '60s and '70s, a royal commission into child-sex abuse has heard.

And the Salvation Army's leadership often failed to discipline or remove the perpetrators, but simply moved them to other homes where they frequently continued the abuse.

The revelations came during the first public hearing in Sydney by the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse for 2014.

In his opening address, counsel assisting the commission, Simeon Beckett, said the focus of the hearings would be on the "contemporaneous response by the Salvation Army and relevant government agencies to child-sex abuse within the Alkira home for boys in Indooroopilly, Queensland; the Riverview Training Farm, also in Queensland; Bexley Boys home in North Bexley; and the Gill Memorial Home in Goulburn".

"It will examine processes at the time to identify, investigate, discipline, remove, dismiss and/or transfer persons accused of or found to have engaged in child sexual abuse," he said.

"The evidence will explore whether those who maintained the homes jointly engaged in child sexual abuse and whether the position of manager was used to frustrate the making of complaints of sexual abuse and their investigation."

The commission will focus on the alleged abuse inflicted by Salvation Army officers Laurence Wilson, Russell Walker, Victor Bennett, John McIver and Donald Schultz on boys aged from about six to about 17.

On Tuesday, it heard that the violence and sexual abuse inflicted on the boys at the homes was at "the severe end of that examined by the commission" during the course of its investigations.

"The boys were frequently punched with a closed fist, thrown on the ground with force, hit with straps until they developed welts or bled," Beckett said.

They were repeatedly anally raped and forced to undertake oral sex on their house parents. They were also abused by other boys at the homes.

One witness, ES, is expected to tell the commission that he was placed in a cage on the verandah of the Riverview home for nine days.

Upon his release, he was allegedly sodomised by Bennett, his house parent.

McIver allegedly broke one boy's arm during an assault and on another occasion refused to allow a boy with a dislocated shoulder to attend hospital, instead forcing the injured shoulder "back into its socket".

Boys who complained were often disbelieved and severely punished, Beckett said.

"Some will indicate that even when they ran away they were returned to the home where they were physically punished," Beckett said.

"Many didn't complain due to fear of punishment and retribution."

At the Riverview farm, one witness would tell how he was made to sort fruit and vegetables given to the farm to feed the animals, picking out what could be given to the boys, Mr Beckett said. If he made a wrong choice, he was flogged.

"Other forms of punishment included sweeping the playground with a toothbrush, cleaning 50 pairs of shoes ... and on one occasion forcing a boy to eat his own vomit."

Beckett said the Salvation Army had a policy of simply moving officers to different homes rather than properly disciplining them or ensuring they had no further contact with children.

He said the commission would hear from two former house parents, Cliff and Marina Randall, who were dismissed after making a complaint against Mr McIver.

Three of the five officers being examined are still alive - McIver, Schultz and Walker.

Only one was charged; Walker with an act of indecency.

They deny the allegations against them.

Wilson died in 2006.

The hearing continues.

- Sydney Morning Herald

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:05 am 

Does the Salvation Army have much presence in the U.S.?

Down here they are seen as the "good guys" of Christianity. The people who live what they don't preach much of and help those that others have shunned. They run the food banks, run the alcohol and drug rehab and have medial missionaries.
I suspect that this exposure will have the secular public thinking, "o.k. if the Salvation Army can have this problem, who else in the Religious world can?" For there have been rumours that this is not restricted to just the Catholic Church for quite some time now and now we see that those rumours were probably true.

Remember PNG was part of Australia till 1976, so not only is NTM/Crossview answerable for any incident that has occurred within their ranks in Australia, but also in PNG until Independence and that makes for a very interesting scenario.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/salvation-arm ... 31kzk.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:21 pm 

yes, Salvation Army is here also,. Big second hand stores and ringing the bells at Christmas for donations. They focus on helping the needy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:52 pm 

When you are an alcoholic and life is in the gutter, very few people will ever extend a hand to get you on your feet again. The Salvation Army will and some of us know this from personal experience. They will give you a bed for the night, they will wash the clothes that you have pissed yourself in and vomited on and they will help you detox. They don't preach, they just care for your body and soul.
Yes they got it badly wrong sometimes, but they have put their hand up and admitted their mess. But for me the bottom line is they care when no one else does.

God Bless The Sallies!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:21 pm 

True.

But tell me. Would you wash the clothes of a drunk in the gutter, take the drunk home, feed them and clean them up?

Very few would!!!! And what of those who sent the drunk down that path? No apology, no inquiry, no concern, no care, just far to busy doing "The Lords Work" to notice the collateral damage.

Yes I'm an alcoholic and yes it was my choice to go down that road. But who gave me the road map and very few alternatives? Some of us got dumped out of Numonohi, put on a plane home and left to cope the best way we could. The easy option was to sign back up to NTM and go back to the abuse, the discrimination. The hard choice was to make it on your own and sometimes the bottle seemed like a damn good friend.

So my personal experience says "God Bless the Sallies" and the wrath of God upon those who stepped over the drunk in the gutter and yet claimed they care in the name of God!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:02 pm 

Then you are a better human than most and far far better than those who pretend to care.

I don't want prayers, or nice words of sympathy. I don't want likes on a facebook page and I don't want to hear that Jesus, God, Buddha, Mohammed or any other diety will take care of me.

No! What I want is for people to look at the mess of my life and say, "Holy Shit that could have been me or my child" and now I am going to do something about this, so that some child somewhere on this planet never goes down this same road. Let the mess you see before you make you write to Larry Brown, to Politicians, to Embassies, to the MK who just disappeared. Tell Larry to get off his backside and get the mess he is in charge of sorted out. Tell the Embassies, the Authorities and the Politicians where the scum is hiding and that you are sick of seeing children abused!!!!
And when you have done that, let me know, because then I will feel that some of my pain has been worthwhile and the road to healing will be less rocky.

P.s. KyleJ, thanks for picking up a drunk.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:38 am 

May the commission get to NTM fast…...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:12 pm 

http://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/

This is the official site for the inquiry. There is even a live webcam of proceedings.

It is a reasonable supposition that other western countries are watching how this inquiry is going and taking note. Never know, this may well be adopted in other countries, especially if pressure is brought to bear.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:37 pm 

My hopes are that NTM will be one of the organisations to be investigated. The reply is we can't investigate them all. Why, I ask are some abuses more important than others? I don't care how much time and $ is spent, if there is abuse all abused should get heard. Full stop.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:03 pm 

Oh NTM will be investigated, because of the evidence put before the commission. What other countries do is up to them and their citizens.
Remember this inquiry was only going to be into the Catholic church, it was widened to include all denominations after evidence was presented about them. This includes NTM.
We MUST support the brave individuals who have stuck their neck out and presented their evidence.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next