[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - Exotic MKs and their interesting ways

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 724 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 73  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:29 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:44 pm 

LOL, just opened another thread, similar topic...but maybe they both will thrive? Who knows?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:41 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:42 pm 

oops, just getting the hang of 'quoting'...seems like I didn't quite erase all I should have in that last quote...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:38 pm 

You're doing well with the website!
Just a few things to learn and
AWAY you go! :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:03 pm 

Thanks, Mosquito Bite! I'm not completely computer illiterate, but it's a new site and it's a little different than anything I've used before. Not too hard, just a bit different. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:46 pm 

I've been wondering, Bemused, if you can remember any differences in culture between American and NZ that would have felt caused issues? I'm just curious...would love to hear your perspective on that.

For example, most Americans are very focused on time whereas most Latins are not that tuned in to time in general or maybe their sense of time is more flexible...relationships tend to take priority over getting somewhere 'on time'. This can cause issues when working together, because, say the American, not wanting to be 'late' for something according to his time-table can appear to rudely end conversations or not take the time necessary to greet or chat with a friend. Or the American will be constantly looking at his watch, which can communicate impatience or a desire to leave.

I love to hear about other cultures and their POV.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:49 pm 

We're time conscious too.

When I arrived in PNG, I didn't own a single pair of longs, it was shorts, shorts and more shorts. Well we figured we were going to a hot climate, so why on earth would long trousers be needed. So when I went to school, some of the concerned parents kindly gave me hand me down long trousers to wear. Of course I now wear shorts for much of the year, my uniform has a shorts option and I wear them all year round. Lycra shorts on the bike and in cold weather I dig into the wardrobe to find something a bit warmer.

One thing that may have offended some of our American colleagues is that the British seemed to have some sort of alergy to soap, water and deoderant. While the Americans smelt of Brut and lovely fragrences, those who originated from Britain (and alas I have to confess their colonies, but to a much lesser extent of course) had a more natural odour (o.k. o.k. some of us stunk in that hot climate). On this matter, I am firmly on the side of the liberated people of North America. As for the saying "Cleanliness is next to Godliness", well that ain't true, ha ha :lol: .

Speaking of the delicate matters of personal hygiene. For some reason the good folk of Downunder seemed to hit puberty considerably latter, hence I ended up sitting with the girls in choir with my Alto voice for longer than any other male. Not that this offended anyone, although my singing probably did.

What amazed us was the amount of stuff that arrived with each new or returning missionary. Our family of 5 arrived with a couple of barrels, whereas watching Americans unpack their multitude of barrels and crates was a source of considerable wonder. Oh and the stuff that came out of those amazing repositories of personal effects was incredible.

And then shortly after we arrived, the money ran out, so we lived a pretty basic lifestyle. Never starved (gardening runs in the family), but certainly it was pretty basic. It didn't seem to be an issue for most people and we coped fine.

Then there was the sense of humour. There is quite a difference between the British/Kiwi and the American humour. The British are masters at laughing at themselves, whereas the American sense of humor tends to poke fun at others. Being an MK with a foot in both camps, I like to think that I just have a laugh with everyone. But it was the sense of humour and not taking some of the crazy developments to seriously that stopped me from completely loosing the plot.

That's enough for the time being, next perspective :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:08 pm 

Personally I prefer the way the British think. Almost everything I watch on Netflix is British.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:37 am 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 724 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 73  Next