[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - Why the secrecy?

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why the secrecy?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:09 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:19 pm 

@spider

Why not at least ask those of us who caused this entire thing to come out into the open, aka the Fanda Eagles? Again, we are the experts when it comes to the abuses and coverups that have happened within NTM. We forced out a response from them finally after many years - why would they make decisions about how to proceed without asking us to hold them accountable?

I too sympathize and feel like some members of New Tribes seem to be genuinely trying to get to the bottom of the abuse cases, but it smacks of continued arrogance to think that they wouldn't want our help figuring out their process.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:22 pm 
Site Admin

I am reminded of Marv's (NTM EB) response when I asked him in 2009 before they hired GRACE what NTM planned on doing to help abused MKs. He said,

“I have to admit that I’m still not sure of all that you want to see happen and I’m not sure that we will ever be able to met your expectations. I hate what happened to you, but am not sure how to go back 15-20 years ago and take care of all this when most of these perpetrators are not with the mission anymore.“

NTM has the goal of reaching every unreached tribe, yet they couldn't figure out how to properly investigate pedophilia within their ranks, and they cannot figure out how to include MKs in their decision making process concerning MKs? Huh.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:27 pm 

@verily
I will withhold any judgment on "their process" until I know what it will be. That's all I am saying.
If I don't think their solution to an independent 3rd party investigation is a good one, and I am asked for my opinion, I'll give it.
I don't know the people at Grace at all. While I respect that organization for the work that they did, I don't want to assume that they are the only organization that could provide that level of expertise in the situation.
Thanks Fanda Eagles for raising awareness and staying committed to be a voice for MK's who have been hurt.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:38 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:59 pm 

@Mrs M - I could not agree with you more!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:11 pm 

If this exec board can see their ineptness and desperate need for the GRACE team I fear it is simply more of the same. As quoted from Diane on the front page of this blog under NTM ABUSE:
"NTM, we have seen your attempts at change in the past. We got a real nice letter from Bryan Copeland in 1997. Then a nice letter from Dan Rabe in 1998. We responded (see documentation for our letter back to Dan Rabe) and never got one other letter, email, phone call. It looked like Godly movement, then silence. Now you expect any of us to trust you? We all learned to respect GRACE for their professional abilities, their knowledge of the law, their commitment to Christ, their commitment to defend the innocent, their competence to counsel, experience in dealing with wounded lives. GRACE consists of Godly people who model Christ. They also are not fooled and swayed with soothing words and fake spirituality.
This time, I believe GOD is on the march to remove the “sin in the camp” and HE is not going to let this go. Justice is called for now.
Our family personally has seen the GRACE report bring credibility to years of cover-up. IF NTM was truly humbled, broken and teachable, they would do all GRACE has recommended. They would be asking Joie, Kari and Bonnie and others on a regular basis to critique how they are doing in bringing about change.
Larry, I got an apology letter from you and responded and you then wrote back to me. You said “we have so much to learn…” Convince me you are teachable. Convince me you have changed. Convince me NTM has changed."

The Executive Board simply must realize that The MKs are now adults and they need to be part of their committee to really have true change.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:10 pm 

I'm confused. Who asked GRACE to investigate the Fanda abuse in 2009? Who found the organization and asked them to get involved? Who gave approval before proceeding with GRACE? Maybe I have had some misinformation or misunderstanding in this area....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:28 pm 

In a nutshell, after Kari and Bonnie's many attempts to try to get NTM to look seriously into the many abuses that happened at the Fanda school, former missionary John recommended New Tribes talk to Diane Langberg, a psychologist specializing in sexual abuse cases and a member of the GRACE team. Kari and Bonnie met with GRACE personally and approved NTM contracting them to investigate, and encouraged the MKs to trust them and speak with them freely.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:44 pm 

here's my understanding of how GRACE was called to investigate. Please correct any misinformation Kari, Bonnie, Joie...

I have been following this blog from its inception. I believe Kari started this blog after her attempts to get NTM to listen and do something about her abuse situation. She, along with Bonnie Cheshire Clingerman, met with members of the NTM board sometime in the Spring 2009. At that time the CPC and the Board were at a loss of what to do. After a conference call with the NTM Exec Board and the old Exec Committee, NTM asked Kari ’s dad, who is a professional counselor, who he recommends as professionals to deal with sexual abuse. John recommended two names; Dan Allender and Diane Langberg.

Several weeks later, perhaps even 6 weeks or so, NTM contacted Kari and Bonnie and told them about GRACE (Diane Langberg is a founding member of GRACE). Kari flew to FL and observed GRACE present to a large church. Kari and Bonnie also went to PA and met personally with Diane Langberg. Kari and Bonnie gave their approval for GRACE to be the independent investigator. (A significant side note is that neither Diane Langberg nor Boz have received any pay for their arduous work on this investigation, although their assistant was paid by NTM.)

It is no small feat for GRACE to have gained the respect of the MKs AND of NTM leadership. To change this process or for NTM to not follow through with every recommendation of GRACE will undermine the very change they are spouting. I, for one, will not trust NTM to proceed through the investigation of other schools without them submitting their wills and authority to GRACE. They are not competent to handle this. They have proven that over the years.

Does that naswer the background for the NTM / GRACE / MK connection? Please fill in the missing pieces - anyone

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next