[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - Shame and Guilt

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Shame and Guilt
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:16 am 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:25 pm 

Funny thing happened today, o.k. lets start at the beginning.

Mrs Bemused decided it would be a good idea if we both got fit i.e. we both joined a programme that took us from being couch potatoes to running 5 km non stop in 8 weeks. Now I realise you have looked at Bemused's avatar and thought, "blimey he is fit, riding a bike at his age", which is true, but riding a bike and running uses different muscles and when you want a rest from pedaling you just coast along, the same don't happen in running.
So this decrepit old bod got signed up and by some miracle, despite various injuries to his ageing bones and muscles, got through the course and managed the 5 km run yesterday, in not a bad time.
Today we had the debrief, where we sat in a circle and talked about how we felt and I found that more uncomfortable than actually running. But Bemused, I hear you say, you write endlessly about all sorts of things. That is true, but I'm sitting at a computer, behind an anonymous (well sort of anonymous, my identity is hardly top secret 8-) ) nom de plume. But having to sit round in a circle and watch as it closer to my turn to speak was nerve racking, because it took me back to a childhood with unpleasant memories in such a situation. And even though this time the group was talking about positive experiences, congratulating and encouraging each other, I flashed back to when it was the total opposite and as the kid who didn't fit in I had to sit there and endure the ridicule of others who had no idea that over 30 years latter this would still be raising it's ugly head.
So I stammered out a few words, drenched in sweat, envious at the verbal eloquence of Mrs Bemused and the others. Oh well at least they didn't burst out crying or want a group hug, that would have had me out of there faster than greased lightening. Yep that's a bit of a fear too. And despite being a nurse for 30 years and seeing more death, suffering, tears and grief than most people have seen hot dinners, when I'm out of uniform I still find it hard to handle.
And in some ways that is why I try and get people to laugh, then they don't want to hug me and they are too preoccupied to need the box of tissues.

So Mrs Bemused is going to sign up for the 10km running programme and I am going back to cycling with the dog and just running 5km .

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:43 pm 

WOW!
Congratulations to the Bemused Family!
That is really an accomplishment.
Mrs. B will really look great in her Ali Baba pants this summer.

YOU have a problem, Bemused!
If you set foot over here, you will be getting so many group hugs you won't know what to do!
Live with it!

Or are you warning us in advance?
Oh, yeah, I guess I missed it.

Fortunately for you, you may not run into us.
But that's kind of sad.
Was looking forward to that group hug! :lol: :lol: And 100 more (smileys.)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:52 am 

Ahhh Bemused that's great. The running I mean. The sitting in the circle thing sounds tough. I also hate such things. I work with numbers which are much more reliable than people. You can't write algorithms for how people will act or explain their actions with said algorithms. Still - probably good for you to be out of the comfort zone for a while. Good for you (and Mrs Bemused).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:22 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:13 pm 

Everyone will try to remember.
Won't we?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:35 pm 

You may shake my hand in a gesture of friendliness as you roll out the red carpet :lol: .
Curtseying is not required, that is only done for British MKs who have royal connections.
There is no need to place a string of impressive letters after my name (i.e. Bemused PHD, MaD, B.O.), Mrs Bemused is the one with most of the letters of the alphabet after her name.
Please do not slap me on the back and shout g'day mate, that is best reserved for Australian MKs.
But I do take cash, visa and mastercard :P , just not group hugs, single hugs, married hugs (except from Mrs Bemused), condolence hugs, celebratory hugs, closet hugs, open hugs . . .

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:30 pm 

I'm sure you have covered it all quite completely
And made some up too. :lol:
Ok---handshakes all around.
Maybe you'll change your mind when you see the rest of us going crazy.
Huggy. Huggy. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:30 pm 

LOVE TO TEASE BEMUSED! :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:47 am