[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - MK Safety Net Conference:The Unexpected Journey. April, 2012

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:30 am 

Reposting this information first posted by highlander under the Vianopolis section. This conference looks like it will be excellent. Perhaps some of us can finally meet in person at this event!

http://www.mksafetynet.net/

Abuse sent many MKs and their families on an ‘Unexpected Journey’. This conference will address actions and steps to help us move toward reclaiming our lives and breaking the silence.

We invite you to come and join us to hear speakers ranging from professionals in trauma counseling, law, writers and MKs who are breaking the silence.

This conference is intended for former MKs (Missionary Kids) and their families and friends. All keynote speakers and breakout sessions will address abuse and trauma experienced by former MKs with a view to breaking the silence of abuse and offering resources to move toward healing.

Please be sure to return to this page often as we will be adding more conference details. A program listing speakers, topics and breakout sessions will be coming soon.

Don't forget to mark your calendar. This is an event you will not want to miss. We look forward to seeing you in Chicago, April 20 - 22, 2012!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:19 pm 

Slightly off the topic, but as the conference will be talking about trauma.

There was a missionary family in PNG (in the 80s and 90s), not with NTM, who had a turbulent time to say the least. Issues of readjustment cropped up on re entry into their country and it looks like the family dissentegrated. If one looks up "David Bain" in Wikipedia one will see the case, but to outline it briefly:
David was found guilty of murdering his whole family early one morning. He spent 13 years in prison for a life sentence and then was freed in a retrial because it could not be proved beyond reasonable doubt. There has been endless debate as to who was guilty, but it comes down to either David or his father.
Obviously this is the extreme case of what can go wrong, but how many others have had severe problems readjusting to their "home" culture, or were so messed up in their head by their experiences?
As I say, this case is a salutory lesson for many of us.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:43 pm 

I just read that Wikipedia piece.

Shaking my head sadly ... another horrible story with a tragic ending ...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:23 pm 

It appears the whole family was dysfuntional, but the scary thing is they are probably not an isolated case. There were some very odd people in PNG when I was there and I always wondered (and I'd appreciate your insight on this one), were they there because they were a bit eccentric, mad, e.t.c. or did they evolve that way because of what they experienced?
Did PNG attract more than its fair share of misfits or was it a product of the environment? My guess is that the people that were coming into the system had to exhibit some strong personality traits to want to be there. My own family is a classic example. A strong right wing father with extremist (and sometimes noble, I'll be fair) views, a mother who cracked up with the pressure and 3 kids that ended up at different ends of the spectrum of religon and philosophy on life. We live within 10 km of each other, but rarely see each other.
But that isn't uncommon as the few MKs I know are mostly in similar circumstances.
There is nothing wrong with dogged determination, the world benefits from the industriousness of such high achievers, but add in religon and you've got Osama Bin Laden and my father. It's a dangerous combination, because both believe so passionately in their cause they will do anything to further their aims and if something gets in the way, tough.
It's to late for Osama to repent, but hey NTM I know another one that needs to be at the Repentance Retreat. . .

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:56 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:05 am 

The MK Safety Net conference has been postponed to next year. (That gives us more time to prepare. I am hoping to see many NTM MKs and their families/friends there!)

http://www.mksafetynet.net/

"Due to circumstances we were not able to control, the MK Safety Net Conference is being postponed. It will be held next year, April 19 - 21, 2013, in Chicago. We are grateful that Paul Young, Andrew Schmutzer and Boz Tchividjian are available to participate in the conference next year. We will keep you posted about further developments.

If you have any questions or concerns please email us at info@mksafetynet.net. Thank you for your understanding and continued support."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:38 pm 

Oh! A long time to wait.
But it sounds really good.
Maybe Befused can save up by then?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:48 pm 

I shall start saving my pesos right away. Let see, in a years time I should be able just about to fly to Hawaii, budget class. Unless of course NTM could send their Lear Jet down to pick me up, then I could make my confession to IHART, pop up to the conference, see a couple of new friends I've made and be home by the end of the week. I could bring some souveniers with me to help pay for the trip, what you guys want, crocodile skin shorts? Wombat boots? or Dingo Bush Shirts? :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:58 pm 

How about a Dingo Bush?
Is that anything like a Current Bush?
Always wished we had some in the tribe.