MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:33 pm 

Please pray that the truth will come out in a current investigation into a sexual abuse charge that has been opened at SIM. The investigation is current, but the events happened 39 or so years ago. The person accused is an SIM employee. Pray that everyone will be honest, that the investigation will uncover the truth, and justice will be served.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:05 pm 

You have our prayers.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:30 pm 

Will be praying for SIM. Every mission needs to be open about the abuse that happens in their mission. Also praying for those MKs who have been abused.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:49 pm 

I have a question about the ongoing investigation by SIM into sexual abuse of an MK. This investigation was opened October 1, and he has just today been contacted with the news that they would like to interview him. However they refuse to disclose the names of the interviewers until the day of the interview. They say that is a matter of policy, and that he will meet them on the day of the interview. Meanwhile, there are certain people at SIM he is NOT comfortable with being in this situation.

For anyone who went through the interview process with GRACE, can you tell me if this sounds like standard procedure for an investigation of this sort? First of all for the victim to be the last one interviewed, and then to have to go into the interview without any knowledge of who will he will be talking to?

Thanks for any help and advice you can give.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:56 pm 

No, that is NOT cool. GRACE was careful to let us know exactly who we would be meeting with and even what other MKs would be attending things so we could make clear decisions about who we felt comfortable interacting with. But GRACE was of course a 3rd party investigator - is this SIM itself investigating? If so, I would question if you can trust them to be impartial.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:39 pm 

I would advise them to contact GRACE for some advice.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

echoing verily. no, this is not okay. would definitely recommend having clear and defined boundaries before entering into any process.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:11 pm 

Contacting GRACE is a great suggestion. As survivors we have a hard time knowing what we need to stay safe - to not be revictimized by an organization such as SIM. At the very least, a survivor needs to have their own support system in such a meeting - an advocate who understands abuse issues and has the best interest of the survivor in mind, who can draw bounderies in such a meeting that prevent further re-victimization. Prior to any meeting there needs to be clarity on who will be attending the meeting and what the goal of the meeting is.

I am a part of the organization MK Safety Net. Over the past 20 years we have seen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:36 pm 

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I feel they are pressuring him now saying "we need to know which of these dates you can meet and where!" after they took weeks and weeks to even respond to him at all. By the way, Hope, I think your reply was cut off at the end, but I am wondering what you were saying about MK Safety Net. Could you try to repost it?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:56 pm 

elizabatu,

Sounds like they want to put this behind them. Bad vibes about this.... SIM should have an independent trusted outside entity to do the interviews like GRACE. Just my opinion....