MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Venezuela
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:57 pm 

Jmg, Thanks for sharing what you know. It is sickening to think that the chairman was abusing children!!!!! NTM must open its files and determine who in leadership at the time knew what and when they knew it. Short of taking this step makes current leadership complicit in any coverup and what lies below the coverup. Where does this pervert live now? Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:52 am 

It's amazing to me that the only reference I can find to the issue of abuse by Jim Bou is on a Venezuela govenment web site (http://www.minci.gob.ve/opinion/7/6432/esas_nuevas_viejas.html):

Quote:
A comienzo de los setenta, los misioneros rompen su aislamiento con ocasión de solicitar apoyo de la comunidad evangélica nacional para la publicación de una edición bilingüe español-maquiritare del Nuevo Testamento, traducido por el misionero estadounidense Jaime Bou, hoy, por cierto, defenestrado por sus propios compañeros de misión, acusado de supuestos actos lascivos con jóvenes indígenas. Fue, hasta donde conocemos, el primer Nuevo Testamento completo publicado en un idioma indígena en Venezuela.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:15 pm 

Quote:
A comienzo de los setenta, los misioneros rompen su aislamiento con ocasión de solicitar apoyo de la comunidad evangélica nacional para la publicación de una edición bilingüe español-maquiritare del Nuevo Testamento, traducido por el misionero estadounidense Jaime Bou, hoy, por cierto, defenestrado por sus propios compañeros de misión, acusado de supuestos actos lascivos con jóvenes indígenas. Fue, hasta donde conocemos, el primer Nuevo Testamento completo publicado en un idioma indígena en Venezuela.
[/quote]

Jerry: For those of us who are Spanish-challenged, could you translate?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:26 pm 

Sure, thanks to Google (with a minor edit):

Quote:
In the early seventies, the missionaries break their isolation with the opportunity to solicit support from the national evangelical community for the publication of a bilingual Spanish-Maquiritare the New Testament, translated by the American missionary Jaime Bou, today, of course, denounced by his own fellow missionaries accused of alleged lewd acts with indigenous youth. It was, as far as we know, the first entire New Testament published in an indigenous language in Venezuela.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:12 pm 

Thanks! Why was he not prosecuted by the Ven gov't? Because the victims were Indigenous people? Why did it take NTM SO LONG to dismiss him????????

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:21 pm 

I don't know. This is the first I've heard of it. Perhaps someone who was there at the time can shed some additional details. As to not being prosecuted, either he was out of the country before the government knew anything, or there wasn't enough valid evidence. (Or perhaps there was a cover-up. :o )

Also keep in mind that this would have been in the early 70s.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:37 pm 

while the abuse began in the 70's or before, it is still on-going today, I believe. Last I heard Jim Bou still lived in Venezuela. He was dismissed from NTM sometime after 1994. There had been previous reports, but the isolated reports didn't get checked into. Another smooth-talking perp. and naive leadership at best.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:06 am 

another MK wrote:
while the abuse began in the 70's or before, it is still on-going today, I believe. Last I heard Jim Bou still lived in Venezuela. He was dismissed from NTM sometime after 1994. There had been previous reports, but the isolated reports didn't get checked into. Another smooth-talking perp. and naive leadership at best.

I didn't realize that this was so recent. I wonder how much this had to so with the termination of the work in Venezuela?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:33 pm 

JerryB wrote:
another MK wrote:

I didn't realize that this was so recent. I wonder how much this had to so with the termination of the work in Venezuela?

He wasn't dismissed from NTM until 1997 or 1998. Can't remember which year. but I do believe that everything another MK wrote is otherwise accurate. Last I heard he still lives in Venezuela. I do not believe it was investigated by the government because of Jim Bou's close ties and relationships within the local govt authorities and beyond. He spent much of his ministry time carefully cultivating such relationships as part of his "govt rep" work! He lied to the NTM missionaries for years telling us we could not be part of any national churches per our contract to live & work in Venezuela, so we had to meet together just as missionaries to hold church/prayer meetings when living in town, rather than be a part of any Venezuelan church body. I believe the tribal group of whom he abused so many, declined to involve the govt due to Jim Bou's powerful connections.

Notice the many "I believes..." I cannot say for sure these things, because I've only heard them from afar. I haven't ever read them in any kind of investigative report....

Jerry, I believe the termination of the work in Venezuela had very little to do with Jim Bou and a lot more to do with Pat Robertson.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-08-22-robertson-_x.htm
This took place less than two months before the announcement that NTM missionaries would be expelled from the country.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:33 am 

jmg wrote:
He wasn't dismissed from NTM until 1997 or 1998. ...

Jerry, I believe the termination of the work in Venezuela had very little to do with Jim Bou and a lot more to do with Pat Robertson.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-08-22-robertson-_x.htm
This took place less than two months before the announcement that NTM missionaries would be expelled from the country.

So this could have been going on for 30 years or more?

While it appears the the Robertson debacle was the "straw that broke the camel's back" with Chavez, why did he focus on NTM? Perhaps the Jim Bou rumors? Or others we don't know about?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next