[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - BETRAYED

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: BETRAYED
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:41 pm 

How did NTM betray you?

Post subject: Re: BETRAYED
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:25 pm 

A question like this could easily lead to some book-length answers! I'll try to keep mine brief....

NTM always "encouraged" us to share any complaints we had with leadership, rather than "stir up dissension" among the rank and vile. I mean, rank and file. Like most Tribers, I was inconsistent in my adherence to this policy. Interestingly, it was when I was most compliant that I really ran afoul of the whole system....

The Field Committee had made some decisions that directly affected the work I was in at the time. I disagreed with some of these decisions and made my disagreement known. In fact, as will surprise nobody, I made my disagreement known in a way that would leave no room for doubt as to what my position was.

For all that, I wrote ONLY to the Field Committee. I talked only to the Field Committee. I did not gossip, I did not stir up dissension, I did not complain to fellow missionaries. I admit that I had engaged in such activities in the past, but bitter experience had taught me to avoid that pitfall. I was scrupulous in communicating ONLY with leadership.

Leadership was careful to communicate with me, possibly after they had communicated with their leadership. I was told that they needed my resignation, since my emails made it clear that I had "contempt and disrespect" for them.

Please note that I had never disobeyed them. In fact, they never accused me (at that time) of disobeying them. They did not accuse me of any sin or offense other than "contempt and disrespect."

They did not warn me; they did not say, "Hold on there, Gene. Let's watch the temperature of some of these comments; we want to work together, but if you can't calm this down, that will be impossible."

My offense, unlike child abuse, was so serious that it demanded immediate, irrevocable action on their part (though I suspect this decision was not made without the input of the Executive Committee members overlooking the Thai field at that time).

Disagreements with coworkers are tolerated. Disagreements with leadership are NOT tolerated, and there is no need to warn or otherwise seek to resolve such a situation.

NTM did not follow their own much-touted "Church discipline" guidelines, guidelines that they expected the rest of us to follow. After all, disagreement with leadership is tantamount to rebellion against the Lord himself.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:59 pm 

Sounds like you thought you had a voice, and they made it clear that you never had one to begin with . . .

I've felt like that several times in my life--like someone snatches the last wisp of hope right out of you . . .

It's good to know that God has infinite patience with us mortals, and doesn't ever stop caring.

So glad you're free.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:40 am 

The same example Gene is talking about is still happening right up to 2011.
Many variations and some milder. But NOT leading to any discussion with "leaders."
"Leaders" are trying to convince new recruits that the org. has changed.
Interested had a very good post about the org's failure to activate real change, even when they talk about doing it.
This has brought false hope to many.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:43 am 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:47 am 

VIANOPOLIS STATUS REPORT
August 24, 2011
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Following a few glitches at the beginning of the investigation, it now proceeds at a reasonable pace.
I have established communication with fifteen (15) individuals (MK’s) who have expressed a desire to discuss their experiences while attending the NTM Boarding School at Vianopolis, Brazil from 1985 – 1999. Information provided concerns what these individuals believe to have been abuse by teachers and staff during that time period.

Presently, two (2) individuals have been personally interviewed. During those interviews, each provided information concerning additional victims and perpetrators of what they believed to be abuse. As a result of those interviews, they have communicated the seriousness and sensitivity with which the interviews were conducted, as well as the integrity of the investigative team to others, resulting in an expansion of the investigation. Interviews of six (6) other victims are scheduled following the completion and submission of their written testimonies (a term they use to refer to their statements). Additionally, following communication with several victims, a direct email to each student, for whom email addresses are available, is being prepared to solicit any information they wish to share, or they believe may be of significance to the investigative process.

As a result of the communication with the aforementioned individuals, the list of alleged abusers, and/or their participation in what is believed to be abusive behavior, has also grown. Information pertaining to several individuals was recently received and requires review. A strategy to interview, or attempt to interview, those alleged to have engaged in, or have knowledge of, abusive behavior is scheduled for early September (week of September 6 – 14, 2011).

Concurrent to these interviews, are those of NTM Leadership, at the school, on the field, and at NTM Headquarters. As information is developed and processed, those interviews will be conducted. To date only two members of NTM Leadership have been contacted/interviewed. Others will be contacted shortly.

Of great significance and value to the investigation was the recent visit to Brazil (September 18 -22, 2011). Six individuals were interviewed as to their personal knowledge and recollection of individuals and events during the period in question. Additionally, significant records and information was secured which requires review. Also significant was a visit to the school itself.

The visit to the school provides a visual depiction of property and facilities providing an understanding and insight of facilities as described by victims. Photographs taken may also be useful in helping to determine “intent” when individuals were taken to various locations within the “little dorm” or other locations for discipline and/or other activities. They will also aid in the visualization of the close proximity of the “little dorm” to the dining hall, girl’s dorm, boy’s dorm, school, and other facilities within the property.

Information contained in this status report is general in nature. Specific information pertaining to victims and perpetrators is available on request. Victim interviews will be conducted as they are willing to discuss their experiences in person, following a submission of their testimonies. Interviews of perpetrators, and/or those who had knowledge of them, will be conducted when and if they are available for interviews. Interviews of NTM Leadership will also be conducted as warranted upon receipt, coordination, and consolidation of information.

Additional inquires may be directed to me at rramirez@send.org.

Richard J. Ramirez
Director of Corporate Security
SEND International
36210 Freedom Road
Farmington, MI 48335
248-477-4210 x 111

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:52 am 

Speaking of glitches: I am sorry to have to mention it----but the team seems to have gone to Brazil before the dates actually happened.
Could they mean August?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:52 am 

Thank you so much for posting this, dbarney.

Hope is renewed, as are prayers for this investigation and for all who are involved.

Please God, let justice prevail and may healing be found.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:58 pm 

Pat's correction. The trip was Aug 18-22. Thankx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:40 pm 

I took the liberty of posting this update in a new thread: "Investigation Updates."

That way, we can all participate in any discussion in one place.