[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - Irritable and Angry

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:23 pm 

I got this from the article referred to above. I stick it here to get reactions. This article is saying that perhaps MKs are just a bit off psychologically, not really 'abused'. (Not referring to blatant sexual abuse, but rather the abandonment, rejection, and such.) Supposedly it is largley a family lifestyle, "so deal with it, your famiy chose it". I thought the GRACE people acknowledged that abandonment, rejection, and religious shame were considered abuse by definition. Here's a bit from the article:
Some allegations of abuse in missionary boarding schools conflate actual abuse with
typical MK psychological issues or confuse the two. Most MKs have feelings of disorientation,
dislocation, abandonment, and rejection, whether or not they attended a boarding school.52 The
MK experience is also complicated by strong elements of spiritual shame and coercion that were
often present in the evangelical subculture during the relevant periods.
These experiences, though painful, were often not abusive, but an outcome of a particular
choice of lifestyle and occupation by the parents. For a missionary child to face a boardingschool
separation is no more abusive than for military children to have their fathers sent to Iraq
for a year. However, some claimants and some investigators are confused about this.53 Any
team that investigates alleged abuse in missions agencies, especially historic abuse, should have
an in-depth and realistic understanding of MK and TCK issues and the historic subculture.

Post subject: Re: Irritable and Angry
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:35 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:40 pm 

And Highlander, congratulations. Your post (or the article you copied, anyway) really hacked me off.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:21 pm 

@XYZ - You should read the whole article for the full vomit-inducing effect...

And with regards to aisle five, I feel that my personal ability to accept my own experiences as valid and important has been a bit of a journey for me (yes, I realize that I use certain key words a lot...). It goes back to the "Channels Only" thing where everyone else is important to God, but I am not - unless I'm channelling him to others...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:24 pm 

Sitting Duck, thank you for posting the link to that article. I just finished ready it. Wow! Everyone who wonders why NTM is refusing to use GRACE for further investigations should read the article, especially pg 18, where they criticize the way GRACE handled the Fanda investigation and report. This article is written by non-NTMers. I find their scathing criticism very interesting. I don't suppose we will ever know if they came up with all ten of their objections entirely on their own, or if they were "fed" them by someone we might know ...
Wow ...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:16 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:20 am 

Meant only to copy the "turning purple" part.
But I am buzzing mad about your neglect, Sitting Duck.
I know very well about being ignored, bullied, threatened, harassed and turned-on by a brother.
And it's not historical.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:32 pm 

So, mass email number 2 (that I've received, anyway...)

It's pretty frustrating when one feels that one must scramble to let everyone know that no, it is not okay to give out my private personal information without first consulting me despite our beloved MNTB's insinuations to the contrary, thank you very much.

Grow a brain, people!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:38 am 

Mr. Sitting Duck
37 Years To Find My Voice Avenue
Skeptic City, Freedom

XYZ c/o Wounded Worthless
000 Years of Free Spiritedness Alley
Guilt City, Misery

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:25 am 

Sitting Duck, I am sorry that bumbling attempts at communication have added to your pain.

Do you have suggestions for how to contact adult MKs and their families that would be less invasive but could still open a door to productive dialogue, if desired?

I think your input could help guide communication attempts with others in the future. There are hundreds of MKs and families out there who have yet to be contacted, and if there's a better way for Pat Hendrix to do it, maybe your unpleasant experience could help guide how that is attempted from now on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next