[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - Anyone? Anyone?

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Anyone? Anyone?
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:49 pm 

What else should we be doing here? Are we in a no-contact zone? Start over in different direction? Is there a direction? How can we help this move forward?

Post subject: Re: Anyone? Anyone?
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:21 am 

There is a LOT to be done still. . . .

Without attempting to speak for anyone else, I think it is instructive to note that those who have contributed to these forums, as well as those who have only visited and read from time to time, have had an important part in accomplishing more than I would have dreamed possible. Who thinks that anyone would be where they are today had the Fanda Eagles not taken the lead?

Lest it be forgotten, the good folks over at 1000 East First Street, Sanford, Florida did not wake up one morning after a fitful night's sleep and say, "Well, I guess we'd better do something about the abused MKs from NTM." Their employees, numbering in the thousands, did not start a letter writing campaign asking that leaders look into this issue; they were all "busy about the Lord's work."

Even when faced with the realities of the sexual abuse of children in the Fanda School, all one member of the Executive Board could bring himself to say (and say to a victim!) was, "I hate what happened to you, but am not sure how to go back 15-20 years ago and take care of all this when most of these perpetrators are not with the mission anymore." See? If we can't go back in time, there is nothing else that can be done about these things, no matter how much we hate them. Anyway, most (most?!) of the perpetrators are no longer with the mission. "Teacher, I'm stuck."

To date, one school on one field has been "investigated." The results were devastating enough that NTM has cast around for a new investigative team, offering no explanation as to why, offering no alternative, even as they gave disgruntled MKs (and their employees, and their financial backers) no explanation of why this was swept under the rug for decades. "Trust us; we're the new NTM."

I would have to review this entire blog and forum to even scratch the surface. . .

An easy summary, however, is this: NTM has done what little it has done only under severe duress. They have perfected the art of non-answers, non-promises and foot dragging. They make promises, do nothing and hope that the story goes away. They are not fools; they are wise and informed and much to the detriment of the truth, they generally gauge these things correctly. NTM's spokeswoman lied about Joel Price's involvement with children on the field, became "unavailable" during the Christmas and New Years holidays, and the story went away. If you think that was an accident, think again.

Finally, when a victim of multiple rapes begs them for help and they tell her they're praying for her to overcome her problems and are slapped with a five million dollar civil suit, they cast themselves as victims. The Republicans and Democrats have to take second place to this kind of spin!

It was the brave Fanda Eagles who stuck their neck out, fully expecting to get it chopped off. How to adequately honor their courage? Now, Jane Doe # 7 is taking the excruciating step of a law suit, something that is destined to be as uncomfortable for her as for NTM. What can we do to support her? How can we encourage others to seek just redress?

This struggle has just begun!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:44 am 

So, we can rant, but can we do anything constructive? Here is a short list; feel free to add to it. . . .

1. Spread the word. This is an issue that almost everybody would be concerned about, doubly so if they are financial supporters of NTM. Share the GRACE report with pastors, missions committees, church members. It is easy to dismiss (say) my rants as those of a "disgruntled former missionary." The GRACE report says many of the same things I've said, and does it without the impediment of being disgruntled anythings; they are not so easily dismissed.

2. Write NTM. Send them emails, send them air mails, send them petitions. They notice, believe me! It is only because they were getting so much pressure that they acted in the first place. They need to know that this is NOT going away.

3. Call them on the phone. Ask them pointed questions. If you can't think of any pointed questions, PM me and I'll give you a basket of them! If they tell you you'll have to call back later, call back. And keep calling. I repeat: They need to know that this is NOT going away.

4. Post words of encouragement to the victims on this blog/ forum. The Fanda Eagles, the Brazil Bunch, Jane Doe # 7 and others are brave beyond description. I bow before their courage. But, they are also people. Just people. Wounded people. If you think a compliment, a word of encouragement helps you, please remember that it will mean that much and more to them!

5. Use "social media" to spread the word. "Men love darkness rather than light, because their deeds are evil." Evil deeds thrive in the darkness. Help publicize this in any way you possibly can. If you are not subject to charges of being disgruntled, your voice will carry a weight that mine does not, can not. You count, and you can make a difference. And, even if people will call you disgruntled, speak up anyway. They call me that all the time; you get used to it after a while. Even if I were, which I am not, it wouldn't matter. It's like calling saved people "disgruntled sinners."

6. If you are in NTM, get out of NTM. There are those who can help you, who can help you stay in ministry if that is what you desire. There is nothing wrong with leaving before you're disgruntled! :lol: There is so much that needs to be done, that you can fit in somewhere, on the field or in the States, and be able to do it with a clear conscience.

7. Never give up. Never give up. NTM has kept these things secret for so long simply because people get discouraged, think they are alone and give up. You are not alone, there is no reason to be discouraged, and please do not give up!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:51 am 

I was thinking it might be nice to send a card to Jane Doe#7 . . . If I send it to her lawyers would they forward it to her? Good idea? Terrible?

I know NT is a big name in some places-- not where I live. Most of my friends/colleagues don't even understand the word missionary. The church I go to doesn't begin to respect NT anyway . . .

Social media, last fall I made a small attempt at harassing NT on Twitter. It soon felt mean-spirited, and I dropped it.

You've given me food for thought, Gene. Keep the ideas coming, you'all . . .

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:45 am 

Allbetter, I was thinking of doing the same thing. I was going to call her lawyers office and see if they would forward it before I sent anything.

Have you already sent a card?

JJ

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:51 am 

Not yet . . .if I can hobble into a card store sometime this week, I'll be happy. It takes a lot of courage for me to just call in sick . . .I'm so proud of her.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:58 am 

Me too! I'll have to make it a priority tonight to swing by and pick up a card for her.

JJ

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:59 pm 

I still don't get why people left? Was it because of moles and NTM apologists posting? Or did those spiritually abused who are now turned off to religion of all stripes feel condemned? I am feeling pretty lonely around here.

I am not a fundamentalist anymore. I am not ashamed of admitting that. I don't believe in the "mission" of NTM. I do believe Jesus wanted those of us whose lives have been transformed by his love to live that transformation, and be open to anyone who asks about what Jesus has done for us, but that's what I think he meant by "go into all the world". Go into the world you already inhabit, and live in such a way that people want to know what you believe and what is your motivation in life- here where we share the same language and culture.

Maybe, I am willing to concede, maybe singles and empty nesters might be called to move to a totally strange place, put down roots and live the transformed life among strangers. (I do mean live, not swoop down as the great white bwana and rotate out in a year or two.) The goal would be to lead others to know Jesus personally and then let that go where it goes, not turn them into good little fundamentalist who snub Catholics and Assemblies of God and know what is the *correct* way to love Jesus, unlike all those other "christians" who get it wrong. That's what *I* saw in tribal missions when I visited in 1999. I regret ever wasting my money to perpetuate such a system.

I think if we all lived as true disciples, loving one another as Christ loved us and living with truly righteous judgments on our own part, the whole world would be loving Jesus by now. That does not mean any more people would attend institutionalized church (or quit smoking or wear longer skirts,etc.) The replacement of the disciples transformed life with religious institutions (notably with Constantine, but it's never stopped since) is not a good thing in my opinion. No organization can do what only the Holy Spirit can accomplish. I meet together with other believers to be encouraged, not lectured. If I could find a place that shared communion, worshipped together, prayed together and totally skipped the lecture that would be awesome! :) More "ministry" happens in conversation among disciples than happens in a lecture. Poor pastor, trying to come up with a new lecture a couple of times a week. Snore.

Used to be there were other skeptics on here besides me. I don't know anymore. I think I am the only one?

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:35 pm 

What's the point?

Odds are pretty good that NTM will never change - will never be transparent & accountable to all of its members - parents who signed up or children who were drafted.

Just feeling like this is futile tonight. I hate NTM. I hate my memories. I hate that I want to hate them. I didn't ask for this. I did NOT sign up for this. (Shut up, Publius - I KNOW God signed me up for this). I just get so mad that a mission organization & group of believers is being so tight-lipped, so obtuse, so anti-loving, so effing silent.

Sometimes silence IS the answer being given. Sometimes it is 100 times louder than words. And more effective.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:32 pm 

I'm getting rather weary of the silence too. I'm not expecting any change from NTM...gave up on that some time ago. However, there are broken parts inside of me that have just begun to heal. I'm thinking about things and processing things I thought I had dealt with a long time ago. It's not fun, but it is productive.

I'm here, too, to support those victims that want to come and share their stories. I know there are more of you out there, that have not yet shared your stories here, or anywhere, likely. I'm praying for you.

Perhaps this forum has served it's purpose, run it's course. I hope not. For me, it's my one connection to the refreshingly real MKs who aren't afraid, anymore, to voice their opinions, tell their stories, and listen to each other. I'm hooked.