MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: GOOD STUFF
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:14 pm 

Got to meet a sweet member of the forum today! Sometimes meeting in person really outranks the cyberworld. And she made me Pao de quejo! Up until this year I would have felt totally awkward and would have resisted doing that. The walls are a tumbling down . . .

Post subject: Re: GOOD STUFF
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:48 pm 

I'd like to "like" this statement above. Grin.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:09 pm 

Have you noticed that most people don't talk about their childhoods . . .but MKs sure do. I arrived in Cuiaba at age 10, for the first time. I was hit with wave of heat so penetrating, as if Mom asked me to check out the cake in the oven . . .we belonged to a little mission with one single missionary and another family, who were the bosses. They were extraordinarily different from our family, and taught Mom and Dad minutiae upon minutiae about what we should do, and not do. Because they had chicken every Sunday dinner, then we did too. He definitely did not like children to speak up, and we were considered part of the workforce . . .all of the missionaries were allowed to tell us what to do, reprimand us, but one thing they couldn't do was make me speak Portuguese. I refused to learn for two years.

Any of this sound familiar?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:53 am 

We first visited this other family from NTM in 1983, Dad had made radio contact with them, had known them from our church. They lived north of us, and we travelled 3 days across Mato Grosso to find them. My brother, the author, said he'll write a book about those three weeks sometime . . .from all our different perspectives. Anyway, my other brother bought a little parrot from a native Brazilian for $2. It had been plucked for it's feathers for crafts to sell to visitors. It was tied up in string all around it's legs, cutting into him. The remainder of the trip my brother carefully cut away all of the string, and the parrot formed a lasting bond with him. Mom taught him to sing English songs, which delighted our church people. His favorite was "it's a happy day . . .and I'm living it for my Lord". Except he could only sing "Lord," in this bizarre high-pitched crooked way. Eventually they gave little Caramba away, and we like to think of him bewildering Brazilians with singing "Looord,"

We were enchanted with the NT view of boarding school, and thought we had been getting the short end of the stick by having to live with parents. That was the first we heard of Via.