[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
MK forum • View topic - My first apology from mntb

MK forum

Discuss anything MK here
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:55 pm 

Begin forwarded message:

Date: March 30, 2011 12:36:57 PM CDT
To: "karistw@yahoo.com" <karistw@yahoo.com>
Subject: Apology from MNTB leadership

Anapolis, March, 2011

Dear Karis,

Since you left Vianópolis it has become increasingly apparent that you suffered more than what those who originally interviewed you had thought. In light of the things that have come out since that time, we want you to know that we recognize that the sinful and abusive things that you experienced, as well as the fact that Frank was allowed to continue to be in the area afterward, have caused you to suffer tremendous pain, and years of misery during and since your time at Via. As those currently responsible for the program at Via, we want to humbly apologize to you, from the bottom of our hearts. We want you to know that we grieve deeply for you, that we are shocked, saddened and sobered by the suffering that resulted from you having studied and lived at Via. This should never have happened to you and is not our purpose or desire for this school.

We’re sure you know that a third party group led by Pat Hendrix is currently conducting an investigation of the events that are coming to light and will be contacting those involved to get their input on what took place. We are and will be cooperating with this investigation and desire that the truth of what took place be established.

We offer you our apology, we hope that you accept that we feel outrage, indignation, and grief for what you went through in a school that was meant to provide care and education for our MKs. We desire that you find healing for the wounds that these things have caused in your soul. We hope you will accept this humble apology.

Thank you for sending us your email address and giving us this opportunity to communicate with you on these matters. We recognize that a letter like this is not the ideal way to express these things. Please forgive us for this, but we do want you to know that we sorrow for what you have suffered.  Feel free to share with us anything that you would like to.

Sincerely,

Dan Royer

Bill Wiederhoeft

David Fread

for the general and eastern MNTB leadership teams

MNTB General Council:                     

Edward Luz                                        

Dan Royer  

Jose Marcos Braga

Fred Otto

Almir Verdelho da Silva 

Bill Wiederhoeft

Sergio Rodrigues

MNTB Eastern Sector Council:

Bill Wiederhoeft

David Fread

Joao Lucas de Souza

Jose Marcos Braga

Valmir Brisola de Almeida

Israel Domingos dos Santos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:09 pm 

I think the leadership must be reading this forum because notice, they put everyone's name on the different commitities. That's good. I also appreciate that they addressed your letter differently, Courageous. It was more specific to what happened to you and not the general letter that most people got. That shows some sensitivity on their part. I noticed you didn't share your thoughts on this letter. Are you still thinking it over?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:20 pm 

Well, at least something is finally being done that can be seen!!! I am sure some of the rest of the fields and schools will do the some.....we are waiting!!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:29 am 

Survivor, you are right it took me a while to process the letter. Their tone has completely changed. This is the first time I have been personally addressed by NTM. The last letter that was sent out seemed to have a very different message. Honestly an apology has never been something I have expected or needed. These men were not in charge when I was there. But the letter seemed genuine, and I really appreciated their affirmation. They did address the fact that they know more now then I was first interviewed. Well when you put a 17 year old in a board room with intimidating men for 1 meeting, you probably won't get all the details. Their only concern at the time was that I forgive that "man" and keep quiet about what had happened.

So yes I am thankful for this letter, but what I am overjoyed about is that Via is closing down. And I really don't have words to express how much my brother's support has helped me to cope and be able to move on. I think we can all agree that he has been instrumental in getting their attention and demanding change. Blessed beyond words to have you as my brother.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:10 pm 

Dear Courageous,

I too am happy that the letter wasn't such a form letter as the one sent to me. I'm thankful that it seems they have leadership in NT who seem to take this all seriously now and are willing to admit there were huge errors in the leadership at that time and an apology is very necessary. I'm sad that you don't have happy memories to hang on to. I wish, oh how I wish that I could have done something to stop it all way before Frank ever got to you. That's probably my deepest heart's cry...could I have done more? What did I say? What should I have said? I hurt so much that he had to hurt you before he was stopped. I am so thankful that you have such a wonderful family and God to support you and hold you through this. You are such a testimony to me and everyone who reads your postings on this site.

I am happy that they are closing Via. I think it's the right thing, but I keep having this sense that the letters give me that those who are there at Via in leadership right now really hope it's not a permanent thing. Do you get that sense? I don't know, just a gut feeling, I guess. NT needs to move on completely from having boarding schools. They need to close each and every one of them and Lord willing, that will happen one day soon.

Lots of love to you and your family,
Memories

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:11 pm 

Oh, and I have to say, that I am sickened at the thought that this is your FIRST apology. There is no excuse for that! None!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:19 pm 

Courageous and OT thank you for your selfless effort to pursue truth and justice. Even though the fight is not completely over...a small battle is won. Via is closing. Thank you for bringing up an extremely painful past, Courageous, in order for other "little ones" to be given the right to be safe and secure with their own parents. And thank you, OT, for giving countless hours toward making sure NTM changes their policies and people who have allowed abuse are held accountable. So thankful for and proud of both of you.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:30 am 

@memories: I so understand your thoughts on wishing you could have done something to have prevented further abuse. As far as I know, I was the first of my relatives who was abused yet I waited 5 or so years before I said anything. In the meantime, many more were abused. I think that's why I'm so vocal now. I can't change the past but I tend to think I can have a hand in changing the future. And I will do whatever I can to make that happen.

On another note, I don't believe Via closing has anything to do with past abuses. They just don't have new missionaries coming there under NTM so there aren't enough students to keep a school open there at Via. Enrollment has just dwindled year after year.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:26 pm 

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:43 pm 

I got a letter from NTM brasil, it was personal, a couple of phrases were the same as some others I've seen, but the e-mails were personal. I think it's fair that I let everyone know that. I'm not a triber (in fact - not part of any organization right now - I kind of get claustrophobic when I think of it - however, that's not to say that at some point I might not join) so I'm not sure how many more of these communications I'll receive - if any of you would like, let me know and I'll forward you the e-mails I've received (warning: at this moment I'm in northern brasil in a little town where internet is "a bombril"- ie unravel steel wool and hang it from the highest tree branch for reception-so answers might be slow) - I believe I informed the ones who sent me e-mails that I would send them on if requested. I got the feeling of sincerity from the people who wrote me - but it didn't personally touch me much since they were not at Via when I was there - their offspring were, but not they themselves. I just really don't know what to say about the whole thing - the fact of Via closing has been rumored for a long time - the fact that it's closing NOW - that can't be a coincidence.

As for Via closing, unexpected reaction - I giggled (and I'm 35 yrs old). Surprised myself. I'm in favor of it closing down - somehow, the closing doesn't destroy any, if there were, good memories, but it brings closure to the bad. And it's high time it was put to a better use. Kind of like burying a body and letting it rot in peace...or not in peace - OH, right, RIP means REST in peace :lol: come on, that was funny